Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Would Elton Brand have done anything with these Clippers?

Say in place of Blake, would prime Elton Brand have changed your opinion of these Clippers? Or would they still be non-threats?

Im asking because he pretty much had his best year the 1 year he got to play with a top notch PG.
    Yo Kobe, get at me bro, we'd have a good time, man

vCash
    Big question is, is a prime Elton Brand capable of scoring in the post with better efficiency in the half court offense than Blake Griffin?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    Say in place of Blake, would prime Elton Brand have changed your opinion of these Clippers? Or would they still be non-threats?

Im asking because he pretty much had his best year the 1 year he got to play with a top notch PG.
    Who said the Clippers are non-threats?
    Blake is playing at a very good level right now-almost elite.He just needs to translate that into the playoffs,and add some more to his defense.

vCash
    Theoretically I'd say yes. As much as I love Blake peak Brand with Sam Cassell and Cuttino Mobley was a beast, I'd venture to guess that with CP3, Jordan, Reddick etc he'd be an even more valuable player on both ends of the floor.

Prime Brand was IMO better on both ends of the floor than current Blake. Funny to think however that Blake has already made more ASGs than Brand did in his entire career, when you play in the same conference as offensive Juggernaut Amar'e, prime KG, prime TD and prime Dirk you're going to have a hard time making all star appearances.

vCash
    I was thinking the same, Elton was a beast defensively, so I give him the notch. What about prime Jermaine O'Neal on the current Pacers team? Holy ****, that would be scary.

vCash
    The defense would be exponentially better.
    The value of elite scoring ability, by Phil Jackson:

"This is a guy, we recognize his talent, and his skill is the kind of skill and talent that gets you through playoff games where things get sticky, grind-out, and basketball becomes a force game and suddenly you need to have a player who has the capabilities of scoring with someone hanging on them in a situation thatís critical. Heís one of those players, one of the few players who can do that.Ē

vCash
    They'd be better since Brand could score in the halfcourt and was better on D in comparison to Blake.

Quote Originally Posted by rhymeratic View Post
    Shoot I'd even put up Glen Rice and Mitch Richmond in their prime at or slightly better than James. Even Glenn Robinson who is a forgotten beast.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveMeOrHateMe View Post
    Kobe GOAT LOL
    ^Finally got one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sunsfan88 View Post
    Big question is, is a prime Elton Brand capable of scoring in the post with better efficiency in the half court offense than Blake Griffin?
    hopefully this post is rhetorical ... because if it isn't...

oh my!

vCash
    Right now he'd easily be there best big off the bench.

vCash
    Statistically there isn't that much of a difference but I feel the team would mesh more cohesively. Something about Brand's game just screamed complimentary to me, whereas with Blake, I feel hes worth having a team built around his playmaking. One of those odd situations where one guy is better to build around and the other might be better to win it all with. Or this could all be BS. Any thoughts? Who would you guys consider the better individual?

And I honestly dont remember how Brand got his shots back then, I dont think hes a better post player than Blake actually (when you consider the art of passing, cuz Brand sucked at passing), what I remember was a relentless offensive rebounder and face-up master from the elbow, deadly in the pinch post. His PnP game would be EXACTLY what this team needs IMO.

As for his defense, well he had his ups and downs, he wasn't much different from Blake his first few years on that end from what I recall, but definitely a better defender than Blake has shown to be when motivated.

vCash
    The Clippers would have probably been a bit better because of Brand's much better defense. Also Brand was far more willing to be aggressive on offense, where as Griffin is way too passive often times. That being said Blake's passing is significantly better and is a big part of the offense all 3 years of his career. Blake's also a better rebounder.

Brand was a similarly limited scorer to Griffin his first few years leading up to 06 when he got the elite jumper which really blew him up for that one year to almost 25 ppg. People forget that before that he was a garbage/grit scorer in the paint. Most of his buckets came off bully ball moves in the deep paint, offensive rebounds, easy dunks/layup. This isn't a guy that had an amazing post game or anything or was a highly skilled offensive player. You said "prime" not "1 year peak" or career year, so I'm taking his best few years and answering this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86 View Post
    The Clippers would have probably been a bit better because of Brand's much better defense. Also Brand was far more willing to be aggressive on offense, where as Griffin is way too passive often times. That being said Blake's passing is significantly better and is a big part of the offense all 3 years of his career. Blake's also a better rebounder.

Brand was a similarly limited scorer to Griffin his first few years leading up to 06 when he got the elite jumper which really blew him up for that one year to almost 25 ppg. People forget that before that he was a garbage/grit scorer in the paint. Most of his buckets came off bully ball moves in the deep paint, offensive rebounds, easy dunks/layup. This isn't a guy that had an amazing post game or anything or was a highly skilled offensive player. You said "prime" not "1 year peak" or career year, so I'm taking his best few years and answering this.
    Which few years? Why not use Peak Brand btw, the option is yours just wondering, trying to minimize the separation between Blake maybe?

That said, I felt the same way about some of the things you've said but delving into the stats, it might be unfair to label him a similarly limited scorer. He had his best shooting season that one year but how much of that was due to finally having someone like Cassell to take pressure off him? I feel like CP3 would help Brand's game in a similar way Cassell did, thus enhancing his already superior shooting marks.

But yes, very young Brand was mostly an inside terror, he led the league in OREB once with us but I dont know how Doc would feel about having both DJ and Brand attacking the offensive glass, I dont think that version of Brand was much of a defensive upgrade, if at all, even then I feel like Brand was a better shooter than Blake, at least from the elbows. I dont know why but Blake spaces it out to long range 2 area.
    However, by 04-05 his midrange game was pure money, so it wasn't just his peak season.

vCash
    Yea 05 is the year he added the shot but 06 was the year it became a primary weapon he used a ton if I recall. Brand's biggest edge over Griffin to me is the mental game. He never backed down from anybody or folded under pressure. Wish Blake was a lot meaner.

vCash
    And yes Blake has no business shooting so many 20 footers (long 2's). He needs to master the 15 footer like Brand did.

vCash
    Elton Brand in his prime is an improvement over anything Blake Griffin's done. Dunks still only get two points most of the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast