Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Man, I really miss

The Omar days.

vCash
    I do and I don't. I miss the aggressive approach Omar had with FA and in trade but he was in a better position to do so financially. OTOH, that regime left a pretty barren farm system when he left which further complicated this rebuild. I liked Omar but let's call a spade a spade, he had one great season as GM and they didn't accomplish their ultimate goal. He's come closer than Alderson sure but there were different financial and personnel circumstances.

Not much financial flexibility, a team that had minimal depth, and a bunch of what turned out to be bad contracts they couldn't do much with but let expire. Yes, Sandy hasn't been as aggressive as I have liked to have seen (especially in the major IFA market), made some bad moves and non moves (Reyes), and has had his share of ups and downs but now that he has some flexibility, hopefully they can start building this team into a perennial playoff contender. Unfortunately it might not happen next year but their farm system is better, they have room to make significant roster changes, and they have a very good young pitching staff to work with.

I understand the impatience because i am impatient too but I want them to do this right instead of doing it right now. If that means they get Granderson, another OF, and a good SS this offseason and then continue to address their needs next year and so on so be it.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-11-2013 at 08:01 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I do and I don't. I miss the aggressive approach Omar had with FA and in trade but he was in a better position to do so financially. OTOH, that regime left a pretty barren farm system when he left which further complicated this rebuild. I liked Omar but let's call a spade a spade, he had one great season as GM and they didn't accomplish their ultimate goal. He's come closer than Alderson sure but there were different financial and personnel circumstances.

Not much financial flexibility, a team that had minimal depth, and a bunch of what turned out to be bad contracts they couldn't do much with but let expire. Yes, Sandy hasn't been as aggressive as I have liked to have seen (especially in the major IFA market), made some bad moves and non moves (Reyes), and has had his share of ups and downs but now that he has some flexibility, hopefully they can start building this team into a perennial playoff contender. Unfortunately it might not happen next year but their farm system is better, they have room to make significant roster changes, and they have a very good young pitching staff to work with.

I understand the impatience because i am impatient too but I want them to do this right instead of doing it right now. If that means they get Granderson, another OF, and a good SS this offseason and then continue to address their needs next year and so on so be it.
    See this is where I disagree, I think the Mets system was undervalued when he left. Look at how many guys are still moving on up and becoming solid prospects that were signed during his time. Matz, Diaz, Ynoa, Goeddel, Morris, Flores, Puello, Robles, Gorski, deGrom, Cessa, den Dekker and they might have found their long term CF in Lagares.

A guy like Montero was signed after he left, but guess who signed him? a scout that was hired by Omar and regardless of who the GM would of been in January 2011, he would of signed with the Mets, but my point is that that Dominican academy has been a tremendous asset for the Mets and was something that Omar spearheaded and it will continue to be an asset.

Yes he did not build a great farm and signing type A free agents limited that quite a bit and not going over slot for premiere talent that fell in the draft also hurt, but I don't think he left a barren farm system.

I do miss the excitement of those off seasons though, I still hope this one is one that gets me excited.

vCash
    Where is Omar anyway?

vCash
    He is an assistant for the Padres.

...but just to further simplify my point, I miss those days because it seem those were the only days when the Mets were actually rumored to be going after the best of the best that was available, for right or wrong, it was fun thinking of the possibilities. Now the Wilpons have us hoping of the 4th or 5th best option once again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    See this is where I disagree, I think the Mets system was undervalued when he left. Look at how many guys are still moving on up and becoming solid prospects that were signed during his time. Matz, Diaz, Ynoa, Goeddel, Morris, Flores, Puello, Robles, Gorski, deGrom, Cessa, den Dekker and they might have found their long term CF in Lagares.

A guy like Montero was signed after he left, but guess who signed him? a scout that was hired by Omar and regardless of who the GM would of been in January 2011, he would of signed with the Mets, but my point is that that Dominican academy has been a tremendous asset for the Mets and was something that Omar spearheaded and it will continue to be an asset.

Yes he did not build a great farm and signing type A free agents limited that quite a bit and not going over slot for premiere talent that fell in the draft also hurt, but I don't think he left a barren farm system.

I do miss the excitement of those off seasons though, I still hope this one is one that gets me excited.
    Well more major league ready prospects which I know that isn't as much on Omar because you can't speed up development but more the emphasis on building a farm system with more depth to have any sustained success when they do start winning. I am not diminishing the guys Omar brought in via the draft and his IFAs and that is certainly a part of their depth now but I don't think there was the same emphasis on a stronger foundation. That's where Omar and Alderson differ imo. Omar looked at the here and now and sacrificed some of their future to do so. Unfortunately, that only lead to one playoff appearance. Alderson, on the other hand, at times, is too concerned about the longer term development and doesn't properly address the here and now. But i hear ya, i hope that begins to change this offseason.

vCash
    Why complicate things?

We miss the team sucking less. Please suck less in the future.
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash

...but just to further simplify my point, I miss those days because it seem those were the only days when the Mets were actually rumored to be going after the best of the best that was available, for right or wrong, it was fun thinking of the possibilities. Now the Wilpons have us hoping of the 4th or 5th best option once again.
    Good point.

I don't read as many of the sources as many of you guys do but when I read an article I do a find for "Mets" and most of the time we're not even in the conversation. It's like we're not even relevant.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jomota View Post
    Good point.

I don't read as many of the sources as many of you guys do but when I read an article I do a find for "Mets" and most of the time we're not even in the conversation. It's like we're not even relevant.
    Exactly, and I get that this is more to do with the Wilpons, than with Sandy, but after not signing Reyes and possibly not signing Choo if he signs for 100 million or more just makes me feel like am a fan of a small market team.

vCash
    Well, we're approaching 800,000 posts on the PSD Forum. No one else is close.

At least we're leading in something.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jomota View Post
    Well, we're approaching 800,000 posts on the PSD Forum. No one else is close.

At least we're leading in something.
    Misery loves company - in large volumes.
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash
    No one misses Omar. But we all miss 3 straight seasons of relevant baseball.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash

Agreed, that's actually why I joined the forum to begin with. I wanted to talk about FA possibilities that could improve the team.

vCash

Man, I really miss

We should bring back Omar

Get it done Omar!

Oh wait...

vCash
    He was part of the management that drafted Harvey... I mean we can't blame him for everything, only handing out ridiculous contracts to Perez and the other guy... We've been in rebuild mode for so long now...

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast