Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Wil Myers wins 2013 AL Rookie of the Year

NEW YORK -- Wil Myers of the Tampa Bay Rays has won the AL Rookie of the Year award after putting up impressive offensive numbers in barely half a season.

The right fielder received 23 of 30 first-place votes from the Baseball Writers' Association of America in results announced Monday, beating out Detroit shortstop Jose Iglesias and Rays teammate Chris Archer.

Myers becomes the third Tampa Bay player in six years to be selected Rookie of the Year, joining pitcher Jeremy Hellickson (2011) and third baseman Evan Longoria (2008).

The 22-year-old Myers batted .293 with 13 home runs and 53 RBIs in only 88 games after he was called up from the minors June 18. He immediately added much-needed power to the middle of the Rays' lineup, helping them reach the playoffs as an AL wild card.
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/99...kie-year-award

I think it's a surprise to no one.

vCash
    Good trade Royals.

vCash
    He's on my fantasy team, and I'm excited to have him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DodgerB24 View Post
    Good trade Royals.
    Well...they did make it over .500 this year...so there's that

The Royals' RFers combined for about 2.1 WAR this season (prorating their total WAR by their percentage of PA's in RF) in 628 PA's
    Myers produced 2.4 WAR in 373 PA's.

vCash
    I wonder who posts a higher WAR next year barring injury: Shields or Myers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lackeyfan41 View Post
    I wonder who posts a higher WAR next year barring injury: Shields or Myers
    Probably Shields

STEAMER projects him for 3.9 WAR and 2.9 for Myers.

But I hope you're not suggesting that makes it a good trade.

According to CoolStandings, the Royals' highest playoff odds were about 45% on April 28th. They were never serious playoff contenders this season and are unlikely to be next season.

This season and next season are the two season when Shields' value will be the most greater than Myers'

If they'd had a realistic shot at the playoffs, maybe someone could argue for the trade, but they didn't so they just gave away their best prospect in order to win a few more games in 2013 and 2014. After that Shields will, likely, be gone and Wil Myers will be nearing his peak production.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    Probably Shields

According to CoolStandings, the Royals' highest playoff odds were about 45% on April 28th. They were never serious playoff contenders this season and are unlikely to be next season.

This season and next season are the two season when Shields' value will be the most greater than Myers'

If they'd had a realistic shot at the playoffs, maybe someone could argue for the trade, but they didn't so they just gave away their best prospect in order to win a few more games in 2013 and 2014. After that Shields will, likely, be gone and Wil Myers will be nearing his peak production.
    Never was. It would scare me to be a Royals fan and be heading in the direction ownership is heading in right now.

Shields should post a higher WAR, but I can see Myers breaking out next year and stabilizing himself as a top 30 player for a long time to come.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    Probably Shields

Yup.

DM is so bad at what he does.

The trade was sort of ironic. The team that could have made an argument for trading for a guy like Shields to remain competitive, was the team trading him away (I mean on paper, talent wise, chance of a playoff hope - ignoring payroll constraints).

It's just funny.

The Royals, a 72-90 team, make a win now trade, unloading one of the best prospects in the game for a chance to make the playoffs in a two year window, miss the playoffs in their first attempt after this trade.

The Rays, a 90-72 team, trade a proven front end pitcher for a top prospect in order to have a longer shot at remaining competitive.....and make the playoffs after doing so.

vCash
    makes sense
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals