Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Is there a Chance that Nash retires before his contract ends?

I know that many on here have been trashing Nash for how he has looked.

I am not one of them. I respect his work ethic, his talent, and what he has done for the game. I don't think its the right thing to trash someone who has played very well for very long, and the toll on the body is just catching up to them.

It happens to us all.....

That said, it does seem like Nash is at the point that many others have come to. One injury leads to another, and another. The body is falling apart slowly, and even lots of hard work can't get it back.

We watched it happen to Shaq not too long ago.... Jason Kidd just started slipping FAST the last 2 years and is now a coach. Manu looks to be getting close to the same place.

If you here all the quotes, Nash really wants to play. He is still working at it.... but the frustration is evident.

He just strikes me as the type of person who will not sit and ride out he contract just to collect a check and force the hand of the team.

I really think that if things do not improve significantly, he will retire by this summer at the latest....

If Nash was to retire there are possible effects on the Lakers going forward.

1) He has to "report" if still getting paid. So many players work out a lower "buy-Out" from the team. The lower amount is what counts against the cap. Rasheed Wallace did this as well as many others. The Lakers could take a lower cap number for Nash if this happened.

2) Nash could just retire, and file his league paperwork. At that point his contract is terminated and no longer counts against the Lakers cap. Jason Williams did this recently.

3) If Nash was forced to retire due to a specific injury then he would have to sit out around 40 games or something like that. His salary could then be picked up by insurance and the Lakers can apply for his salary to be taken off the books.

This all may seem pre-mature, but I was thinking about it. Didn't know if any of you thought it was a possibility. There would be benefit to the Lakers for sure.... if he can't go.

Hey I'll be your friend now that you don't suck...

vCash
    No one, not even Nash is gonna give up money, whether that effects the laker cap or not depends on how he goes out. unfortunately, short of a career ending injury I don't see him not showing up at camp next year

Our only option would be to waive him and extend his contract (spread out over 3 years I believe).

vCash
    We can only hope...

vCash
    he would count against the cap anyway.

Better to have him as an expiring to use in a trade next season.
    ]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinylman View Post
    No one, not even Nash is gonna give up money, whether that effects the laker cap or not depends on how he goes out. unfortunately, short of a career ending injury I don't see him not showing up at camp next year

Our only option would be to waive him and extend his contract (spread out over 3 years I believe).
    Sorry man, but that is not true. I mentioned 2 recent specifics in my post. Rasheed Wallace and Jason Williams retired with money left on the contract. According to the CBA a player has responsibilities to meet as long as the contract is active. Some players do not want to meet those requirements, and negotiate a buyout for less money. There is a player or two that leaves money on the table every year. Many do it in order to get a release and sign with other teams, but others like the examples I gave, do it to move on with life.

Our only option is NOT, ONLY to waive him and spread it out.... another of my options explained that there is a medical exemption that could be gained and there is cap relief in that situation as well according to the CBA.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellcrooner View Post
    he would count against the cap anyway.

Better to have him as an expiring to use in a trade next season.
    Not true.

His cap number would decrease under all of the 3 situations I laid out above, according to the CBA.

vCash
    While it would be in our best interest if he would retire....Say today at 4:00 pm PST. Nash has vowed to finish his contract with the Lakers. Unfortunately his trade worth even if we use him as an expiring next season is worthless.
    I'm not bashing Nash for his contribution to the game....He is a top 10 historically. However Father Time has caught up to Steve Nash and unfortunately the Lakers pulled the trigger on this deal about 5 years to late.

vCash
    we could rewrite his contract and hire him as a coach instead... assistant to Dantoni being groomed for a Hall of Fame head coaching career for the Lakers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DC Laker View Post
    Sorry man, but that is not true. I mentioned 2 recent specifics in my post. Rasheed Wallace and Jason Williams retired with money left on the contract. According to the CBA a player has responsibilities to meet as long as the contract is active. Some players do not want to meet those requirements, and negotiate a buyout for less money. There is a player or two that leaves money on the table every year. Many do it in order to get a release and sign with other teams, but others like the examples I gave, do it to move on with life.

Our only option is NOT, ONLY to waive him and spread it out.... another of my options explained that there is a medical exemption that could be gained and there is cap relief in that situation as well according to the CBA.
    Nothing I posted is "wrong"

I just don't agree with the scenario's that he will retire or that we will get a medical exception. He will want all his money as I stated so I doubt he retires (you can disagree with that but that certainly isn't the teams decision).

As far as his injuries... there is nothing severe enough in those that would create a medical exception at this time. So I don't see that as an option... and as I stated before that is not the teams decision.

The only action that the team can force upon Nash is waiving him and spreading his contract out over 3 years (depending on the lakers cap situation they might not even want to do that).

So again, nothing is "wrong" about what I posted. One thing is clear though, the only option the Lakers control is waiving him

vCash
    lol i knew you guys would come around sooner than later. Still think Nash is a starter in this league? I knew this would happen Mike set this Hall of famer up for failure in his last years. Not the correct role for a 39 year old player.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sssmush View Post
    we could rewrite his contract and hire him as a coach instead... assistant to Dantoni being groomed for a Hall of Fame head coaching career for the Lakers.
    Nobody wants either D'Antoni or Nash anywhere near the Lakers brand in the near future, much less having them as coaches preaching only 30 minutes of defense per week. Get rid of those assclowns and everything associated with those run-and-gun no defense Phoenix Suns from 2004-2009.

vCash
    If he doesn't retire, just waive him and use the stretch provision. Would give us six million or so more next year in cap space. That could get us a very decent starter. Do bird rights still exist under the new cba??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KobeOwnSU View Post
    If he doesn't retire, just waive him and use the stretch provision. Would give us six million or so more next year in cap space. That could get us a very decent starter. Do bird rights still exist under the new cba??

Of course ...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gr824:27394885

Of course ...
    So we can use our cap space and then resign our own players still, correct?

vCash
    So we can use our cap space and then resign our own players still, correct?

No.

Its either resign them and use the remaining cap.

Or renounce their cap and use the cap ( inlcuidng their signings).

Theres this ***** thing called cap holds.
    ]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast