Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Baseball America Ranks Cubs top 10 Prospect (C.J. Edwards Moving up the Charts)

http://www.bleachernation.com/2013/1...-chicago-cubs/

There’s a new top ten list to obsess over, and it comes courtesy of Baseball America, which today released its ranking of the top prospects in the Chicago Cubs’ system. The write-up includes info on the system at-large, the top players under 25 in the organization (tease: Starlin Castro does not appear at the top of the list), the best tools in the system, and the previous top prospects. You very much should read the piece.

Apropos of the Cubs’ presentation to season ticket holders, the list is stacked.

As for the Cubs’ top ten, it looks like this:

1. Javier Baez, ss

2. Kris Bryant, 3b

3. C.J. Edwards, rhp

4. Albert Almora, of

5. Jorge Soler, of

6. Pierce Johnson, rhp

7. Arismendy Alcantara, 2b/ss

8. Jeimer Candelario, 3b

9. Dan Vogelbach, 1b

10. Arodys Vizcaino, rhp

The composition is about the ten guys you’d expect to see (though it’s amazing that guys like Mike Olt, Paul Blackburn, Rob Zastryzny, Tyler Skulina, Kyle Hendricks, Christian Villanueva and more don’t make the list). But the order is pretty surprising.

The biggest surprise? It’s right there at number three, where pitching prospect C.J. Edwards breaks up The Big Four (who would definitely be called The Big Five, if we included pitching prospects in such things). That’s the order in which I’d have The Big Four, too, and I’d have Edwards right there at number five. Johnson would be next for me, followed by Alcantara. Candelario, Vogelbach, and Vizcaino would all be getting consideration for those final three spots, but I’m not sure how I’d place them, together with the many other guys who could be legit top ten types. This system is crazy deep right now (and also elite at the top (swoon)).

The truly amazing thing about Edwards’ placement as number three in the system? Almora and Soler are generally considered, at the worst, top 30 prospects in the game. Doesn’t that necessarily mean that BA also considers Edwards a top 30 prospect in all of baseball? So much for the Cubs not having elite pitching prospects, eh?
    BUTTERFLIES AND RAINBOWS!!!!! JP611 Just called me an ecstasy user!!!! WTF!!!

Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

vCash
    Manuel has been higher than most on Edwards. I have no doubt his personal top-100 list would have Edwards ranked very high, but I wouldn't expect to see that trend across the board.

vCash
    Where does Beeler/Maples/Panigiua Rank?
    BUTTERFLIES AND RAINBOWS!!!!! JP611 Just called me an ecstasy user!!!! WTF!!!

Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

vCash
    Maples in the 15-25. Couldn't get a fix on Paniagua (here after to be referred to as JC Pani), 24 throws hard, but that's it at this point. Beeler, is a borderline top 30 (IMO).

vCash
    RIP B-Jax

Jill Garvey <3

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rynoplasty View Post
    Manuel has been higher than most on Edwards. I have no doubt his personal top-100 list would have Edwards ranked very high, but I wouldn't expect to see that trend across the board.
    I think he's at least a consensus top 30 prospect, and most posters here probably had him pegged in the 50-75 range. By the end of the year, I think he'll be top 15, pushing the Majors. I hope he doesn't go crazy with trying to add weight, either. I want him to stay as close to natural and comfortable for him as he can. The dude is electric, we got a special one with him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by turnaround3 View Post
    RIP B-Jax
    Don't forget Vitters too.

ONE GOAL ACHIEVED!
    1934, 1938, 1961, 2010, 2013

vCash
    I think Vitters makes the big club this year in our outfield along with Lake as our righthanded side of the plate. Along with Sweeney and Scheirholtz from the left and Ellsbury in center.

vCash

Baseball America Ranks Cubs top 10 Prospect (C.J. Edwards Moving up the Charts)

That a guy like Alcantara is 7th in a list like this makes me happy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by frcoa:27389421
    I think Vitters makes the big club this year in our outfield along with Lake as our righthanded side of the plate. Along with Sweeney and Scheirholtz from the left and Ellsbury in center.
    but why?? vitters just isn't good.

Chicago Blackhawks
    Chicago Bulls
    Chicago Cubs
    Duke Blue Devils
    Minnesota Vikings
    Northwestern Wildcats
    Virginia Tech Hokies

vCash
    Is CJ throwing at all this offseason? I hear a lot about the three in the AFL but where is CJ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Simon View Post
    Is CJ throwing at all this offseason? I hear a lot about the three in the AFL but where is CJ?
    At home working on his fitness.

vCash
    Getting swole.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StrandedCub:27391160
    At home working on his fitness.
    Needs to be on a serious weight gain program! Protein and peanut butter!! Streak and potatoes! Feed that guy!
    The Future...
    Is Bright!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by frcoa View Post
    The time to give up on Vitters has long passed. He isn't making the Cubs or any big league squad.

1934 • 1938 • 1961 • 2010 • 2013

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast