Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Game 8 (11-11-13): Sixers (4-3) vs. Spurs (6-1)

VS

Philadelphia 76ers - San Antonio Spurs

Date: Monday, November 11th, 2013
    Time: 7:00 PM EST
    Broadcast: CSN (TV), 97.5 FM (Radio)

Points per Game Assists per Game Rebounds per Game
    Sixers Turner 23.4 MCW 8.1 Hawes 10.4
    Spurs Parker 19.0 Parker 6.6 Splitter 7.7

Spurs-76ers Preview
    RECOMMEND1TWEET0
    There's no question that Brett Brown is coaching the Philadelphia 76ers now because of the success he enjoyed when he worked for Gregg Popovich with the San Antonio Spurs.

Popovich will face his former assistant for the first time Monday night when the Spurs visit the 76ers in search of a fifth straight victory.

Philadelphia (4-3) took a long time to decide on Doug Collins' successor before opting Aug. 14 to hire Brown, who played for Rick Pitino at Boston University.

The 52-year-old Brown's association with Popovich is more notable since he was part of three NBA title teams with San Antonio as an assistant and won another with the Spurs when he served in the basketball operations department in 1998-99. He left briefly to coach in Australia before rejoining the Spurs in 2002 as the team's assistant coach/director of player development and later moved to the bench under Popovich in 2006.

These coaches had different outlooks after their clubs' most recent games, with Brown happy after a defeat and Popovich not entirely pleased despite an easy victory.

Philadelphia fell 127-125 in double overtime Saturday at Cleveland after posting a 94-79 home win over the Cavaliers the night before.

"That was a great NBA game," Brown said. "The only negative is that we lost. I told our guys how proud I am of them because they continued to fight and find any way possible to win."

The demanding Popovich watched his team lead by as many as 37 points in Sunday's 120-89 rout at New York. It marked the Spurs' first double-digit victory and he said before the game that his team was playing C+ or B- basketball.

A rout in which no player was forced to log 26 minutes improved his mood, although the coach feels his veteran team can still play better.

"I thought tonight we played a good, solid B+, A- game," Popovich said. "There were some good things out there."

Danny Green scored 24 points and added a career-high 10 rebounds and Tony Parker scored 17 as San Antonio (6-1) opened on a 21-4 run, built an 18-point lead after one quarter and was never threatened. The Spurs shot a season-high 53.9 percent.

"We just played our game and we made shots," Parker said. "When you make shots it helps, and the ball movement was great."

Now San Antonio will try to slow down one of the league's highest scoring teams in Philadelphia, averaging 105.9 points. Evan Turner is off to a strong start in averaging 23.4 points while Michael Carter-Williams leads all rookies in scoring with 18.4 points per game.

Sixers guard James Anderson will face his former team for the first team. Anderson, a first-round Spurs pick in 2010, has started his first seven games with Philadelphia after coming over as a free agent after Houston waived him.

Tim Duncan averaged 20.0 points and 12.5 rebounds as San Antonio swept two meetings with Philadelphia last season to extend its win streak in the series to four. Spencer Hawes averaged 19.0 points to lead the Sixers in the two defeats.
    Injury Report:

Philadelphia:
    Daniel Orton, C: Doubtful (knee)
    Kwame Brown, C: Questionable (hamstring)
    Arnett Moultrie, F: Out (ankle)
    Jason Richardson, G: Out (knee)
    Nerlens Noel, C: Out (knee)

San Antonio:
    Matt Bonner, F: Questionable (calf)

vCash
    This should be another loss....
    Big ups to Phins1983 for the Sig!!!

vCash
    Reunion game for Brett Brown and the Sixers get another shot at claiming the NBA Title Belt! HUGE!

For those who haven't been following the NBA Title Belt track this season, check it out here: http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...mpionship-Belt

vCash
    they beat the Knicks by 31 on the road lst night but Duncan and Ginboli will prob rest tonight.

vCash
    Haven't heard anything yet about them resting players tonight, but we know how Popovich usually operates in these situations. On the other hand, not a single player played more than 26 minutes for them last night. It was an effortless blowout over the Knicks, so we'll see. I'll be there tonight, so I'm hoping for the L while getting to see their best players.

vCash
    Duncan is not playing

vCash
    Well....being good was fun while it lasted.
    Warning, my sig is NSFW. But hot damn is it hot:

Click here to see how awesome.

vCash
    I'm pretty sure I'd take any other PG in the league over Darius Morris right now.

vCash
    HOLY AZZ-KICKING Batman!! Down 18-20 after 1 quarter ??? Well, looks like we will be 500 after this game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SeoulBeatz View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'd take any other PG in the league over Darius Morris right now.
    I would take most guys off the street over Darius Morris.

vCash
    Turner seems to be scoring well again….Haven't been able to watch any games this year, does it look sustainable? Looking at the play by play, I like the high volume of "lay-ups", but I wonder if he can be consistent?

vCash
    I think it's sustainable. His attacking the hole fits what he works off of best.

vCash
    Tom Moore ‏@tmoore76ers 4m
    #Sixers attendance looks like maybe 11,000.
    Pathetic....

vCash
    Well, that wasn't pretty...

Thad was no where to be found the entire game. I know he's a guy who's known for making something out of nothing, but can't we run some pick and rolls with him? Jeez.

Hawes was Jekyll and Hyde all night. Had some nice stretches, put up some pretty stats, but there were way too many WTF moments with him tonight. Complete mind-lapsing moments on both the offensive and defensive side of the ball.

Turner got himself a lot of decent shot attempts tonight, but they just weren't falling after the start of the game. His touch was just off for most of the game. He did a poor job of getting the other guys involved, and he needs to be able to get to the line more if you're taking that many shots.

MCW couldn't buy a bucket. Brick city all night from him.

James Anderson and Darius Morris continue to look like nothing more than random guys picked up off the street.

Now, it was a blow out at this point, but for a decent stretch of time in the 3rd and 4th quarter, the lineup on the floor was: Darius Morris, Tony Wroten, Hollis Thompson, Brandon Davies, and Lavoy Allen. I mean... That has to be the worst assembled five man lineup of all time, right?

And finally, the Spurs were just sinking wide open, uncontested threes all night. Beautiful ball movement from them the whole game. Duncan sat, Manu didn't play the 2nd half, and they're coming off playing just last night. And they still looked magnificent. It didn't seem like we could lock down and settle in defensively all night. We were out of sync and off balance the entire game.

And all that leads to a blow out loss. Tank on!

vCash
    Someone mentioned this the other day in here, I forget who.

I know we're already coming back down to reality a bit at 4-4, with many more losses to come... But after watching a game like tonight, it's scary to think how terrible this team really could be with just one injury to say Turner, MCW, or even Hawes (knock on wood for all of them, just saying). If/when we end up trading a few of those veteran players, it could get really ugly and fast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast