Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Kazmir Unlikely to be Re Signed

Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer believes that the Indians are unlikely to re-sign free agent Scott Kazmir.
    After signing a minor league deal with the Indians last winter, Kazmir had a career renaissance with the Tribe in 2013, posting a 4.04 ERA, 1.32 WHIP and 162/47 K/BB ratio over 158 innings. The veteran southpaw, who will turn just 30-years-old in January, is seeking a multi-year deal, while the Indians would prefer another one-year pact.
    Rotoworld.com

vCash
    Consider the source of the information (who stated what.. who were the source quoted / mentioned..what is the specific information presented and can it be verified, etc.) In this case.. Rotoworld has picked up the "anything" report by Hoynes about the Indians.. He could have written that same story about twelve other guys or rolled out the story from six years ago and changed the names..

To be honest anyone could have written these 'reports'..anyone!!.. Anything that Hoynes offers needs to be ferreted out as nothing more than a guy who doesn't have a reliable source to rely upon for every one of these "..Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer believes..." reports.

The readers need to make a decision based on something more than an opinion..

vCash
    GSon what's your thougths on MLBastian? Do you like his reporting?
    #FireMikeBrown

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
    GSon what's your thougths on MLBastian? Do you like his reporting?
    Generally, yes. He seems to rely on direct quotes from the principals to a story. If it is an opinion of his rendered indirectly from a source, he explains the sources' influence.. E.G. Jerry DiPoto's debunking of the Mark Trumbo to the Indians for Corey Kluber rumor that was 'shot down' Bastian specifically stated this is as close to a shoot down as you're going to get while quoting the principal.. This varies greatly from the other idiots who report in north east Ohio who "..opine .." or "..think.."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GeronimoSon View Post
    Generally, yes. He seems to rely on direct quotes from the principals to a story. If it is an opinion of his rendered indirectly from a source, he explains the sources' influence.. E.G. Jerry DiPoto's debunking of the Mark Trumbo to the Indians for Corey Kluber rumor that was 'shot down' Bastian specifically stated this is as close to a shoot down as you're going to get while quoting the principal.. This varies greatly from the other idiots who report in north east Ohio who "..opine .." or "..think.."
    I think helps that Bastian isn't a Cleveland reporter. He works for MLB not the PD, Beacon Journal or the Chronicle. I have no problem with Hoynse but I don't really pay too much attention to his work or at least don't read it religiously. A lot of Cleveland reporters are sub par because they reiterate what has already been stated (and beat it to death) and more or less report for a knee jerk reaction.
    Of the Cleveland area reporters I like Tony Grossi and Jason Lloyd the most.
    Last edited by Arch Stanton; 11-21-2013 at 10:09 PM.
    #FireMikeBrown

vCash
    2 years, $22 million from the A's.

Give Jimenez a reasonable offer for 3 or 4 years and see if he jumps at it.

vCash
    Jim Bowden of ESPN and SiriusXM reports that Scott Kazmir's two-year deal with the A's is for $22 million.
    That's a big sum of money for a cash-strapped team like Oakland, but it's actually pretty good value in this current free agent market. Kazmir, 29, registered a 4.04 ERA, 1.32 WHIP and 162/47 K/BB ratio in 158 innings this past season for the Indians. He should do well in the cavernous confines of the Athletics' O.co Coliseum.
    http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/...l-player-news/

More details. Hear Cleveland didn't really want to give him a second year but 2 years at 22 millions seems right for how the market is going and his age. Good year he gave the Tribe but hopefully they can find someone to replace him with. Maybe this guy on a 1 year deal.

The A's are no longer pursuing Bartolo Colon.
    Oakland struck a two-year, $22 million free agent contract Monday with left-handed starter Scott Kazmir and there isn't much more room in the budget. Colon, 40, is likely drawing interest from multiple teams after posting a 2.65 ERA and 1.17 WHIP in 190-plus innings this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ottograham14 View Post

More details. Hear Cleveland didn't really want to give him a second year but 2 years at 22 millions seems right for how the market is going and his age. Good year he gave the Tribe but hopefully they can find someone to replace him with. Maybe this guy on a 1 year deal.

This from MLB Trade Rumors:

...That Kazmir signed for two years and $11MM annually speaks to the expectations of Bartolo Colon, tweets Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports. Colon feels he can get multiple years at a higher annual value...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GeronimoSon View Post
    This from MLB Trade Rumors:
    Yeah I was gonna say that I am hearing that Colon is looking for a multi year deal and around 12-14 million a year. Umm have fun looking for that Bartolo at 41.

vCash
    If anyone gives a 41 year old with PED history more than $10 million per year...they must be the Yankees!!!

The price for starting pitching right now is absolutely ridiculous. Kazmir pitches to a 4+ ERA after being out of baseball for the previous 2 years and he gets $11 million per year??? I hope for his sake that he IS 100% back, but...for the A's of all teams to throw that amount at him???? For Kazmir's sake (or, moreso, the A's sake), I hope that Mickey Callaway had nothing to do with his turnaround and that ANY pitching coach in the bigs can figure him out when things start going wrong for him.

Hopefully we can find a way to bring Jimenez back...if not, find another reclamation project as filler and go to battle with Masterson, McAllister, Kluber, Salazar, Bauer, Carrasco, Tomlin, etc... If that is the route that we need to take, the FO needs to pull out all of the stops in order to build a batting order that is capable of crooked numbers FREQUENTLY.

vCash
    I'm disappointed the FO didn't resign Kazmir. And to get topped by the A's of all teams. I want nothing to do with Colon. As it currently stands I don't see this team winning any more than 85 wins next year. They had the most 1 run victories in the league last year, and teams that typically accomplish that feat tend to regress the following year. And with the subtractions of Kaz, U (more than likely), Albers, and Smith this team is even more depleted. Who knows maybe they'll resign the big U, and Calloway will continue to work miracles with Bauer/Carrasco? I just don't see it happening and expect another Brett Myers type of flop instead.
    #FireMikeBrown

vCash
    @JLEWFifty: By %s: Kaz & Ubaldo combined for 38% of Ws, 37% of IP, 33% of Ks. Yikes. Those are major holes to fill
    @JLEWFifty: For fans asking: SP is the cornerstone of any championship ball club. You've gotta spend your dough there & not be afraid to risk a bit
    @JLEWFifty: Not saying Masty, Kluber, Salazar, etc. can't re-do what they did in '13. As former player, its SO HARD to be that effective yr in & yr out
    - Jensen Lewis
    #FireMikeBrown

vCash
    @JLEWFifty: With FA SPs, there is always risk. LH SP like Kaz tho, after being w/ team, confusing as to why CLE wouldn't bring him back
    - Jensen Lewis
    #FireMikeBrown

vCash
    Kazmir was great last year. I thought he was going to re-sign personally, tough loss

vCash
    The latest tidbit from Paul Hoynes is incredibly insightful.....

According to Paul, the Indians signed BOTH Michael Bourn AND Nick Swisher AFTER the end of the winter meetings nearly a year ago..

WOW !!.. you can't get anything by that guy...