Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Why Saltalamacchia makes a great deal of sense.

We need a catcher. (any objections with that statement??! .. Good moving on.)

I'd love McCann, Pierzynski would do as well, same with Chooch, but I think AA will definitely target Saltalamacchia through free agency.

1) He didn't receive a qualifying offer from the Red Sox. (No loss of our 2nd-round draft pick)

2) He just won a World Series, and has tasted post-season baseball.

3) He's coming off a great year. And being a switch-hitter doesn't hurt.

4) He knows the AL East, and the wealth of productive batters we'll face on a brutally frequent basis.

5) He'll come cheaper than McCann and probably Pierzynski.

6) He played for Boston, and it'd be great to steal away the player who knows their pitching staff the best, much like Boston was able to do when Farrell essentially dumped us to go back to his old girlfriend.

7) AND POSSIBLY MOST INTERESTINGLY.... He can catch a knuckleballer!

To elaborate on #7, Saltalamacchia was Tim Wakefield's primary catcher in his last two seasons in Boston. Ideally Salty could catch Dickey, so we wouldn't have to carry Thole on the big-league roster.

We all know that AA likes to try to exploit the greatest value out of his players. I actually believe that AA's little devotion to Arencibia may still lead to JP remaining with the club for 2014 to try to regain some value, and thus, give AA the opportunity to deal him for something of value. At present, Arencibia's trade value is probably non-existent, or at the very least severely damaged. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see AA bring in Salty, and carry him and Arencibia in a bit of a 3-2 split. Not ideal, but I could definitely see this situation being discussed within the front office. Unfortunately neither guy is a plus defender, but how many plus defending-plus offensive catchers are available, outside of McCann. In every year but last, JP has hit lefties better than righties, so a bit of a platoon might not be the worst thing. Although Salty is a switch-hitter, he's much better vs. RHPs.

Have Saltalamacchia catch Dickey and start against RHPs, and have JP start vs. LHPs.

I don't know if it'll work out this way, but it's food for thought.

vCash
    i came in, and my first thought no doubt like everyone else's was that this guy almost cost the Sox the World Series. but then i read the points and thought, hey there are a lot of great points here. you might be on to something here.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

vCash
    He wouldn't be my first choice, but I wouldn't mind having him.

vCash
    Isn't his defence as bad as JPA's? I'd look him up on Fangraphs if I could spell his name.

vCash
    Salty had a 372 BABIP and managed what, a 270 batting average? Without the insanely high BABIP he's a slightly below average offensive catcher with poor D.

If you're going to go after a C this offseason, it better be Ryan Hanigan. He's coming off a lousy season because of injuries, but if you look at the past 3 seasons he's fantastic. Add in the fact he's an outstanding defender/pitch framer and you've got yourself a buy low candidate.

And with the Reds signing Pena and using Mesoraco or w/e his name is at C, there's no spot for him.

Vic Mackey: You better figure out how much you hate me. And how you're going to deal with that. 'Cause I'm not going anywhere.

This sums up every sports interview, ever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
    Salty had a 372 BABIP and managed what, a 270 batting average? Without the insanely high BABIP he's a slightly below average offensive catcher with poor D.

If you're going to go after a C this offseason, it better be Ryan Hanigan. He's coming off a lousy season because of injuries, but if you look at the past 3 seasons he's fantastic. Add in the fact he's an outstanding defender/pitch framer and you've got yourself a buy low candidate.

And with the Reds signing Pena and using Mesoraco or w/e his name is at C, there's no spot for him.
    He's a good option but I'd still much rather a sure thing like A.J.P. or Ruiz.

I've never been a fan of Salty but if it was between him and J.P.A. that's a no doubter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceUpperCut View Post
    He's a good option but I'd still much rather a sure thing like A.J.P. or Ruiz.

I've never been a fan of Salty but if it was between him and J.P.A. that's a no doubter.
    Not sure I'd call the 37 year old AJ Pierzynski a sure thing.

Vic Mackey: You better figure out how much you hate me. And how you're going to deal with that. 'Cause I'm not going anywhere.

vCash
    Not sure I'd call the 37 year old AJ Pierzynski a sure thing.
    Are you going by anything other than age? He hasn't seemed to slow down much at all to me has played 125+ games every year for the last 5 years. Is a year removed of probably his best professional year in 2012 and was solid last year. I think for a year or 2 he's one of the surest catchers out there.

vCash
    Are you going by anything other than age? He hasn't seemed to slow down much at all to me has played 125+ games every year for the last 5 years. Is a year removed of probably his best professional year in 2012 and was solid last year. I think for a year or 2 he's one of the surest catchers out there.
    That 11-76 BB:K ratio isn't exactly appealing. I've just always found AJ P very overrated. The 297 OBP may be an upgrade over JPA but I don't think AJ P is a player the Jays should be interested in.

vCash
    That 11-76 BB:K ratio isn't exactly appealing. I've just always found AJ P very overrated. The 297 OBP may be an upgrade over JPA but I don't think AJ P is a player the Jays should be interested in.
    I agree the OBP. wasn't great last year but his career average is 322 but the game calling and defensive aspect of the game are a huge upgrade. My two main concerns.

I do like AJJ as a possible future catcher I just think we need a nice 1-2 year stop gap until we get a better look at him. I think AJP would fit that roll nicely.

vCash
    I agree the OBP. wasn't great last year but his career average is 322 but the game calling and defensive aspect of the game are a huge upgrade. My two main concerns.
    I don't think he's ever been known as a good defensive catcher. Certainly not at throwing runners out.

Over the past 3 years he's been around the 13th best offensive C in the game. But when you factor in the D, which isn't very good, he's a below average C.

I do like AJJ as a possible future catcher I just think we need a nice 1-2 year stop gap until we get a better look at him. I think AJP would fit that roll nicely.
    I wouldn't want to sign AJ P to a 2 year deal. Especially not at his age. He's a very overrated player because he does well in the fantasy baseball stats (HR/RBI), but little else.

vCash
    Are they off Iannetta now, or was that just another in the wind rumor like Berkham turned out to be!

vCash
    I think most people are again forgetting that we need a guy that can catch Dickey. Thole was worse than Arencibia, if you can believe it. If we could bring in a number #1 catcher that has experience catching a knuckleballer, we'd essentially be getting two birds stoned at once!

And if Jiminez is the real deal (haven't we heard that one before?!?) then a two year deal with Salty seems justified, until Jiminez can steal the starting role.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Jet11 View Post
    I think most people are again forgetting that we need a guy that can catch Dickey. Thole was worse than Arencibia, if you can believe it. If we could bring in a number #1 catcher that has experience catching a knuckleballer, we'd essentially be getting two birds stoned at once!

And if Jiminez is the real deal (haven't we heard that one before?!?) then a two year deal with Salty seems justified, until Jiminez can steal the starting role.

I can't think of 1 reason why , at 28 and coming off his best season, Salty would sign a 2 year deal. I would think he's thinking about a much longer term than that!...
    Last edited by wagnall; 11-09-2013 at 01:11 PM.

vCash

This is the guy I was thinking of as well. Good call.

I think a trade is looking like a better option. McCann isn't going to sign in Toronto and not much else interests me.

Wanted JP gone for a couple years, happy looks like that's what will happen.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast