Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    461
    vCash
    1500

    Will this offseason be different than in the past? (2013 offseason)

    Thought I would do this seeing how this forum is dead.

    I liked what I've seen in the front office in terms of possibly signing someone who can make a difference. Rumor has it that we've already expressed interest in some notable names (C Ruiz, Balfour and a bunch of other relievers, Tim Hudson, and possibly Beltran). I know in the past management has expressed "interest" in some of the big players in free agency, but that might be different this year. The team has a lot more cap space (with the Monforts' only concern being how much money they make, that could help) and according to the DP we offered 63 million to Cuban prospect Jose Abreu (signed for 68). Know it's still early, but there might be reason to believe this offseason won't be another fluke. Thoughts?

    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/colora...ies/index.html

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    3,495
    vCash
    1500
    Fluke?.. wouldn't a "fluke" be exactly what Rockies' fans would be looking for instead of the same stories.. "..Rockies show interest in this free agent.. or Rockies in on that free agent.. or Rockies may be the sleeper team involved in the trade for.." and then, nothing happens. Ken Rosenthal from Fox Sports, in an obvious pot stirring story.. had this article / note regarding the Rockies and a trade:

    http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/h...senthal-110713

    The fourth lower prospect was identified at Tim Cooney, FWIW..Would having the current status quo really change all that much if one of more FA"s are brought in.. or would the Rockies change their stars overnight with a deal as proposed?.. thoughts?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    461
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by GeronimoSon:27379153
    Fluke?.. wouldn't a "fluke" be exactly what Rockies' fans would be looking for instead of the same stories.. "..Rockies show interest in this free agent.. or Rockies in on that free agent.. or Rockies may be the sleeper team involved in the trade for.." and then, nothing happens. Ken Rosenthal from Fox Sports, in an obvious pot stirring story.. had this article / note regarding the Rockies and a trade:

    http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/h...senthal-110713

    The fourth lower prospect was identified at Tim Cooney, FWIW..Would having the current status quo really change all that much if one of more FA"s are brought in.. or would the Rockies change their stars overnight with a deal as proposed?.. thoughts?
    Craig, Miller, and Rosenthal for an often injured star? I'd take any day. Some of the other proposals for Tulo have seemed pretty pathetic, but seeing how Monfort asks for a lot when it comes to trading anyone with value, it'd probably take a package like that to get Tulo.

    I've said in the past that I'd like the team to go all in (bring in some big names to elevate the club, or rebuild the roster from the bottom). I'd be a lot more hesitant to trade Troy for a bunch of unproven prospects. That wouldn't be a problem here.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    18
    vCash
    1500
    Craig, Miller, and Rosenthal would be a great boost for the Rockies franchise. The Rocks have a legit MLB lineup with AA pitching, and a move like this could help. Does it make them more competitive against a team like the Dodgers?? Heck no. Colorado needs a gross overhaul in terms of its rotation and bullpen.

    Honestly, the Cards are probably more interested in a trade with the Cubs for a Starlin Castro type and aged player. Tulo is aging, and as Dfan correctly states, he is often injured.

    I would move Cargo for pitching specs, hold onto Dex and Tulo, and sign a Kendrys Morales type player to play 1B. Then you target FA pitching like Ricky Nolasco, and reclamation project pitchers (also to turn for specs mid-season) to keep the lineup in tact as best you can, and hope the specs you get for Cargo can make a splash sooner or later. Wait for Gray to anchor the rotation, and maybe you have something. In all honesty, this just isn't a year the Rockies are going to win it. Build with youth and plan for the future. Just my two cents.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    3,495
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by TprMike View Post
    Craig, Miller, and Rosenthal would be a great boost for the Rockies franchise. The Rocks have a legit MLB lineup with AA pitching, and a move like this could help. Does it make them more competitive against a team like the Dodgers?? Heck no. Colorado needs a gross overhaul in terms of its rotation and bullpen.

    Honestly, the Cards are probably more interested in a trade with the Cubs for a Starlin Castro type and aged player. Tulo is aging, and as Dfan correctly states, he is often injured.

    I would move Cargo for pitching specs, hold onto Dex and Tulo, and sign a Kendrys Morales type player to play 1B. Then you target FA pitching like Ricky Nolasco, and reclamation project pitchers (also to turn for specs mid-season) to keep the lineup in tact as best you can, and hope the specs you get for Cargo can make a splash sooner or later. Wait for Gray to anchor the rotation, and maybe you have something. In all honesty, this just isn't a year the Rockies are going to win it. Build with youth and plan for the future. Just my two cents.
    ..2 cents is 2 cents..

    -The Cardinals and Cubs will act in the mutual best interest of both team when it comes to Starlin Castro.. If a trade comes about, the Cubs fans will claim Castro was going to be replaced with Baez anyway and that Castro had regressed to the point where he was only going to be utility player.. Cards fans would claim that Castro would return to being the projected star before he developed "cubbies-itis" Both sides will over value their own players while under valuing the projected returns.. In short, these two teams..don't make for good trading partners..

    -Kendrys would be redundant with Cuddyer, no? Pretty close to being redundant?..

    -You don't want the Ricky Nolasco from his last four starts of his 2013 season.. 16 innings.. 20 earned runs.. no life on his fastball.. As a regular season # 4.. just okay, but, he's not even close to being worth half his expected five year $ 80 MM asking price.. This is a guy the Rockies should PASS on.. Hopefully, so will the rest of MLB thereby putting an end to the outrageous over valuing of players by their agents..

    -Jonathan Gray is going to be a stud.. three more like him are needed.. like Shelby Miller, but not Trevor Rosenthal. Perhaps Tim Cooney or Kevin Siegrist could become like Gray. The rebuild would be expedited to right now.. if this influx of new talent was to come to pass..

    Now, here's a thought, if the Rockies do in fact trade Tulo, for the package suggested by Ken Rosenthal.. the loss of Tulo leaves a big hole on the left side of the infield.. Why don't the Rockies then "flip" Trevor Rosenthal to the Cleveland Indians for Asdrubal Cabrera and some cash... The Indians need a closer (and Rosenthal will not be a starter.. he will be and is a closer).. With the money the Rockies are sending to the Cardinals from the Tulo's trade, this can be paid for by the Indians for 2014. This will also give Trevor Story a chance to hone his skills as the future SS for the Rockies..

    Thoughts?...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    461
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by GeronimoSon:27386258
    Quote Originally Posted by TprMike View Post
    Craig, Miller, and Rosenthal would be a great boost for the Rockies franchise. The Rocks have a legit MLB lineup with AA pitching, and a move like this could help. Does it make them more competitive against a team like the Dodgers?? Heck no. Colorado needs a gross overhaul in terms of its rotation and bullpen.

    Honestly, the Cards are probably more interested in a trade with the Cubs for a Starlin Castro type and aged player. Tulo is aging, and as Dfan correctly states, he is often injured.

    I would move Cargo for pitching specs, hold onto Dex and Tulo, and sign a Kendrys Morales type player to play 1B. Then you target FA pitching like Ricky Nolasco, and reclamation project pitchers (also to turn for specs mid-season) to keep the lineup in tact as best you can, and hope the specs you get for Cargo can make a splash sooner or later. Wait for Gray to anchor the rotation, and maybe you have something. In all honesty, this just isn't a year the Rockies are going to win it. Build with youth and plan for the future. Just my two cents.
    ..2 cents is 2 cents..

    -The Cardinals and Cubs will act in the mutual best interest of both team when it comes to Starlin Castro.. If a trade comes about, the Cubs fans will claim Castro was going to be replaced with Baez anyway and that Castro had regressed to the point where he was only going to be utility player.. Cards fans would claim that Castro would return to being the projected star before he developed "cubbies-itis" Both sides will over value their own players while under valuing the projected returns.. In short, these two teams..don't make for good trading partners..

    -Kendrys would be redundant with Cuddyer, no? Pretty close to being redundant?..

    -You don't want the Ricky Nolasco from his last four starts of his 2013 season.. 16 innings.. 20 earned runs.. no life on his fastball.. As a regular season # 4.. just okay, but, he's not even close to being worth half his expected five year $ 80 MM asking price.. This is a guy the Rockies should PASS on.. Hopefully, so will the rest of MLB thereby putting an end to the outrageous over valuing of players by their agents..

    -Jonathan Gray is going to be a stud.. three more like him are needed.. like Shelby Miller, but not Trevor Rosenthal. Perhaps Tim Cooney or Kevin Siegrist could become like Gray. The rebuild would be expedited to right now.. if this influx of new talent was to come to pass..

    Now, here's a thought, if the Rockies do in fact trade Tulo, for the package suggested by Ken Rosenthal.. the loss of Tulo leaves a big hole on the left side of the infield.. Why don't the Rockies then "flip" Trevor Rosenthal to the Cleveland Indians for Asdrubal Cabrera and some cash... The Indians need a closer (and Rosenthal will not be a starter.. he will be and is a closer).. With the money the Rockies are sending to the Cardinals from the Tulo's trade, this can be paid for by the Indians for 2014. This will also give Trevor Story a chance to hone his skills as the future SS for the Rockies..

    Thoughts?...
    Not sure what the salary cap would look like after a trade like that, but Cuddyer might be moving over to 1B regardless of what happens with Tulo. Young guys like Dickerson might be serviceable in a full time spot, but if they have the money left they could sign an OF. Have a hard time believing the front office would flip Rosenthal right after they got him. Improving the bullpen has been one of the main focuses in free agency and with Rosenthal and Brothers they'd have 2 young, closing caliber relievers.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    3,495
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by denverfan66 View Post
    Not sure what the salary cap would look like after a trade like that, but Cuddyer might be moving over to 1B regardless of what happens with Tulo. Young guys like Dickerson might be serviceable in a full time spot, but if they have the money left they could sign an OF. Have a hard time believing the front office would flip Rosenthal right after they got him. Improving the bullpen has been one of the main focuses in free agency and with Rosenthal and Brothers they'd have 2 young, closing caliber relievers.
    ..and no shortstop...he's be playing in St Louis..

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Durango, Colorado
    Posts
    3,667
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by GeronimoSon View Post
    ..and no shortstop...he's be playing in St Louis..
    Tulos injured all the time anyways and I think he will continue to be plagued by injuries, his body cant handle the stress of the position, I love him to death but if we can get a lot for him it would be worth it to trade him

    plus two of our top 5 prospects are SS, we will be fine in a couple years there

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    san josYAY
    Posts
    10,115
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by IgglesFanInCO View Post
    Tulos injured all the time anyways and I think he will continue to be plagued by injuries, his body cant handle the stress of the position, I love him to death but if we can get a lot for him it would be worth it to trade him

    plus two of our top 5 prospects are SS, we will be fine in a couple years there
    Both project more as 3b than SS. I think it makes more sense to trade Cuddyer and De La Rosa considering they are both mid 30's vets with only a year left on the contract. I think you could trade DLR the Orioles for Christain Walker a pretty good 1b prospect who will be in AA next year and is blocked by Chris Davis, and Cuddyer to the Rangers or Mariners for a decent SP prospect, maybe not a future Ace, but you know what I mean.
    Last edited by ciaban; 11-15-2013 at 04:03 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •