Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Joe Saunders a fallback plan for Mets

http://nypost.com/2013/11/08/joe-sau...plan-for-mets/
    Somewhere in the middle of the Mets’ priority list this offseason is finding a dependable arm for the rotation.
    Bronson Arroyo and Phil Hughes are among the names that make the most sense for the club, but the Mets could go lefty if they get outbid on both.
    Multiple talent evaluators from outside the organization have mentioned veteran Joe Saunders as a potential fit for the Mets.
    The 32-year-old Saunders went 11-16 with a 5.26 ERA for the Mariners in 2013, but has averaged 193 innings over the past four seasons. He would give the Mets a lefty, and a potentially inexpensive presence, to help anchor the rotation until younger arms such as Noah Syndergaard, Rafael Montero and Jacob deGrom are deemed ready.
    As it stands, Jon Niese is the only lefty in a rotation that figures to include Zack Wheeler, Dillon Gee and perhaps Jenrry Mejia to begin the season. The team also could look to re-sign Daisuke Matsuzaka or Aaron Harang, both of whom joined the Mets late in the season.
    Matt Harvey, who underwent Tommy John surgery last month, is not expected to pitch in 2014.
    The Mariners recently declined an $8.3 million option on Saunders for next season. Over a nine-year major league career, he is 89-81 with a 4.30 ERA for four different teams. He is viewed as a potential upgrade over veterans such as Shaun Marcum, Chris Young and Chris Capuano who have pitched for the Mets in recent seasons. All three pitchers were attempting to rebound from various physical ailments when they joined the Mets.
    The Mets’ top priority is finding lineup help, and the amount spent in that area will largely determine what level of starting pitcher the team can acquire.
    Arroyo, a proven innings eater, is expected to land a multi-year contract that could pay upwards of $10 million per season. Hughes’ asking price could be close behind.
    The 36-year-old Arroyo went 14-12 with a 3.79 ERA for the Reds in 2013 and reached 200 innings for the eighth time in nine years.
    “There’s going to be some ballclubs maybe like the Mets that have that nice mix of young arms, but need somebody to kind of anchor a rotation with 200 innings, so it’s going to be a very interesting offseason for me,” Arroyo told The Post in September.
    Roy Halladay and Josh Johnson are two of the intriguing names on the free-agent market, but both former studs are coming off injuries and would hardly be sure things to provide the Mets with innings.

vCash

Joe Saunders a fallback plan for Mets

Adding another lefty would be a good idea

vCash
    I don't get why the article mentions another lefty but completely forgets the best lefty on the market that's also in the Mets price range and should cost less than Arroyo (Scott Kazmir). ****, I would take back Jason Vargas before i would think about Joe Saunders.

Saunders was awful last year.

vCash
    Sandy seems to be interested in a lot of has been players. Saunders was awful last season, I agree if they want a lefty go and get get Kazmir.

vCash
    I'd prefer Chris Capuano if they wanted a cheap lefty.

vCash
    The thought process is that he gives you innings, but for me that is not good enough a reason to add a ****** pitcher.

vCash
    I'd take him if the other options failed

vCash
    I understand what they are looking for and why Arroyo, Hughes, etc fit that billing but then why be in the market reportedly for guys like Johnson and Halladay? Yes Johnson could bounce back significantly getting out of Toronto but he's had a history of elbow and shoulder issues and Halladay for all intents and purposes is done.

To me, if they want a higher upside guy go get a guy a Kazmir. I know the Mets can't be in gambling mode but there is a such thing as calculated risk as well. Crappy innings eaters can be found (Harang) but they are best served as rotation depth.

The Verducci effect isn't an exact science either so I never really understood the full out babying mode the Mets have with their minor league arms.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=15962

We see very little difference between the two groups and, in fact, the Verducci Group actually performs slightly better in the “Year After Effect” season. They lose fewer innings, strike out more batters, and walk fewer opponents. Of course, the differences between the two groups are negligible, and we’re dealing with a small sample size, but this is just one more piece of evidence in the “the Verducci Effect is a myth” pile.
    http://www.sabernomics.com/sabernomi...rducci-effect/

http://baseballanalysts.com/archives...cci_effect.php

There is plenty of calculative data to debunk the Verducci Effect but I know the Mets will now presumably be more overprotective with their younger arms with the injury to Harvey. Let Montero pitch and if Syndergaard is ready next year in May or June (not likely but he could be), get him up here and let both guys have some free reign within reason.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-09-2013 at 02:17 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzace137 View Post
    Sandy seems to be interested in a lot of has been players. Saunders was awful last season, I agree if they want a lefty go and get get Kazmir.
    Nothing in this article to suggest SA is interested in Joe Saunders.

Nothing.
    Nada.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Nothing in this article to suggest SA is interested in Joe Saunders.

Nothing.
    Nada.
    Your right, misread the article, skimmed through it at first, didn't realize it said outside the organization.

vCash
    The Mets are all about the fallback plan.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Kazmir please. I was mad the day we traded him and I would love to see him rejuvenate his career here. Nothing beats another LHP in the rotation I'd like him more then Saunders.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsnQueens7:27375782
    Kazmir please. I was mad the day we traded him and I would love to see him rejuvenate his career here. Nothing beats another LHP in the rotation I'd like him more then Saunders.
    I nearly busted my steering wheel when I heard that trade announced on my car radio.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Saunders is not a fallback plan. He's a fallout plan.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    I nearly busted my steering wheel when I heard that trade announced on my car radio.
    I was a kid at the time but I still knew we got fleeced. Zambrano was a nobody and Kazmir was a up and coming prospect for us. I lived in Brandeton FL at the time and don't be fooled, Kazmir did manage to put together a couple of good seasons. He was even an American league out leader. Bad trade, bad memories. I want him back though, 29 yrs old and he is a lefty.