Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    77,857
    vCash
    1500

    Mets sign RHP Carreno

    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/met...gn-rhp-carreno
    The Mets have signed right-hander Joel Carreno to a minor league deal with spring-training invite.

    Carreno, 26, went a combined 1-2 with a 4.06 ERA in 22 appearances (two starts) for the Toronto Blue Jays in 2011 and '12. The Dominican Republic native went a combined 6-3 with a 2.43 ERA in 50 relief appearances between Double-A New Hampshire and Triple-A Buffalo in the Jays organization this past season.

    Carreno heavily relies on a slider. His fastball sits at 92-94 mph.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    30,539
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All:27369892
    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/met...gn-rhp-carreno
    The Mets have signed right-hander Joel Carreno to a minor league deal with spring-training invite.

    Carreno, 26, went a combined 1-2 with a 4.06 ERA in 22 appearances (two starts) for the Toronto Blue Jays in 2011 and '12. The Dominican Republic native went a combined 6-3 with a 2.43 ERA in 50 relief appearances between Double-A New Hampshire and Triple-A Buffalo in the Jays organization this past season.

    Carreno heavily relies on a slider. His fastball sits at 92-94 mph.
    Once agsin we're saturating our organization with all stars.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    15,325
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Once agsin we're saturating our organization with all stars.
    Minor league vets have to be signed to fill the AAA roster and give the organization some depth at the same time.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    30,539
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet:27369990
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Once agsin we're saturating our organization with all stars.
    Minor league vets have to be signed to fill the AAA roster and give the organization some depth at the same time.
    I get that. But as the late Clara Pelle famously said, "where's the beef?'
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    77,857
    vCash
    1500
    A 26 Y/O arm who can his the low 90's who has a career 3.39 ERA with a 9.8 SO/9 ratio and has a solid slider? Yeah I take that signing as a minor league deal. Over paying for pen arms is silly, you can find some good ones by signing guys like Carreno.

    They can suck like Burke did or you can get a solid middle reliever, we will see what they have here.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    77,857
    vCash
    1500
    Right now only minor league deals are going to be signed, nothing major will start till the GM meetings and then the winter meetings.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    30,539
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All:27370045
    Right now only minor league deals are going to be signed, nothing major will start till the GM meetings and then the winter meetings.
    Or as Miley Cyrus might say, this is our time.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    18,794
    vCash
    1500
    This is how Spindy replaces Harvey. Coupon ball at its finest.


    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,493
    vCash
    1500
    One of our most versatile guys last year was signed in a similar fashion at the end of 2012 (Carlos Torres). Worse comes to worse its only a minor league deal.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    10,400
    vCash
    1500
    I wonder how the NL East will respond to counter this move.

    I think it was Clara Peller or Pella.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    30,539
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by jomota:27371566
    I wonder how the NL East will respond to counter this move.

    I think it was Clara Peller or Pella.
    Peller I think.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    15,325
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by jomota View Post
    I wonder how the NL East will respond to counter this move.
    As usual there will be a lot of sarcasm about signing players for the AAA team, but lets not overlook the importance of what having a good season at Las Vegas means since the Mets should be looking for a new AAA affiliate after 2014. Syracuse may be ripe and ready to dump the Nationals, but after the poor teams the Mets fielded in Buffalo the Chiefs are going to be less inclined to talk with the Mets if Vegas has a poor season. The Mets do not have a good rep at the AAA level.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    5,666
    vCash
    1500
    Good pickup. 12.1 K/9, 3.2 BB/9 across 66 1/3 in high minors last season and only 26. Throw a half-dozen of these guys against the wall in March, and it's a good bet 1 or 2 stick and contribute WAR. Beats throwing money at guys like Francisco.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    10,400
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    As usual there will be a lot of sarcasm about signing players for the AAA team, but lets not overlook the importance of what having a good season at Las Vegas means since the Mets should be looking for a new AAA affiliate after 2014. Syracuse may be ripe and ready to dump the Nationals, but after the poor teams the Mets fielded in Buffalo the Chiefs are going to be less inclined to talk with the Mets if Vegas has a poor season. The Mets do not have a good rep at the AAA level.
    Good to know the Mets are planning the move of a minor league team several years in advance.

    I wonder how the other teams in the international League will respond to counter this move.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    LI South Shore
    Posts
    601
    vCash
    1500
    What separates the men from the boys is finding value where there is none perceived. RA was Omar's Ah ha moment.

    Could be that Carreno or Seratelli is the first Sandy gem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •