Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Angry Granger = Bender?

I have been anxiously waiting to see how the team is going to run with P. George, 55, and Danny in the lineup, but once again Granger is out. He was great before, but he's just been a tease since George came of age, and it reminds me of the frustration I felt with Jonathan Bender.

I know the guys are rolling now, and we're getting away with him being out, but is anyone else shaking their fists at no one in particular just from sheer frustration?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullhill View Post
    I have been anxiously waiting to see how the team is going to run with P. George, 55, and Danny in the lineup, but once again Granger is out. He was great before, but he's just been a tease since George came of age, and it reminds me of the frustration I felt with Jonathan Bender.

I know the guys are rolling now, and we're getting away with him being out, but is anyone else shaking their fists at no one in particular just from sheer frustration?
    ive been waiting a long time to see Granger play with this core. Im kind of frustrated, but only because i see such potential with Granger drawing guys out of the driving lanes with his shooting. He was an important piece before and this year he could make a big impact.

On the other hand if he doesnt come back healthy or good, thats a lot of money we know will be coming off the books, some to pay Stephenson and some to re-sign/sign players in the offseason.

I do think he will come back in a week and half and play some kind of role with our team this season. Im anxious to see it.

"In my eyes, life is likened to christian ideology... its molded into three parts best described by the divine comedy; inferno, purgatorio and paradiso. You can live it in self loathing and pity, obscurity and ambiguity, or with beauty and elegance. Does that make the ideology truth? no, it makes it an irrelevent metaphor." ;p

vCash
    Also he doesnt remind me of bender for a couple of reason. Granger reached his potential and started having serious injury trouble at a more advanced age. People like to forget that he carried this team in the post J.O. years. (which is who he is reminding me more of than Bender)

"In my eyes, life is likened to christian ideology... its molded into three parts best described by the divine comedy; inferno, purgatorio and paradiso. You can live it in self loathing and pity, obscurity and ambiguity, or with beauty and elegance. Does that make the ideology truth? no, it makes it an irrelevent metaphor." ;p

vCash
    Yeah Bender never reached his potential due to injury and Danny is already at or past his prime.

However, I do think some people hoped Bender would become what Paul George has become.

vCash
    I would think that Granger is more on the Jermaine Oneal lines. Played really well....then torn down by injuries and now can't get healthy.

I just really hope he get and accepts a spot on the bench. Lance is playing too well with the starting unit to sit him down...and PG is much better at the 3 than 2.

Like I've seen above Bender could have been what PG is now....and honestly I think Bender was a better pure shooter, but not as good of a defender.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by matthollabak View Post
    I just really hope he get and accepts a spot on the bench. Lance is playing too well with the starting unit to sit him down...and PG is much better at the 3 than 2.
    I get the comparisons more with Jermaine than with Bender, but one of the reasons I want Danny back is that I'm still scared of the "bad Lance" streaks we have all seen.

I do like the way he is playing now, but we still see that Mr. Hyde peeking out once in a while. Maybe its his emotions, or desire to be a primary scorer right now, but its like a switch flips in him, and he decides he's going to go on a scoring run right now and starts driving to the basket and gets a charging foul, or chucks it up from wherever he can get.

Anyway, if Vogel believes Lance has turned the corner, I trust his eye more than mine and I know Lance is the future more than Danny. But given a choice between Danny and Lance in a series against Miami this year, I'd take Danny.

vCash
    I'm just as frustrated as anyone else is with Granger out...but look at how we're playing right now...I know we are only 6 games in, but let's look at the bench. Currently, our bench is averaging 30 points a game. How ridiculous is that?!?! I would love to get Granger back, but I'm not holding my breath and neither should you guys. Our team made the ECF last year and we are definitely showing the potential to do that and more this season all without Granger.

#iubb

vCash
    Grangers injury I believe is caused from the knee issues he had last year. The knee was weak for a full year and the knee is supported by the calf and vise versa. I think it just wasnt strong enough yet and he strained it. He will be fine hopefully or be a huge expiring contract. Id like him to be a big part of this team. I think George actually is better off playing the 2 instead of the 3. The 3 has bigger stronger guys that give him trouble while SGs are smaller and quicker alot like him. He will have size on every SG he plays against. The main reason we didnt like him there as much before was because of his weak passing ability and ball handling skills. Well those are no longer a issue, hes become great at both. Lance is the perfect 6th man with the ability to play PG,SG and even SF with his strength hes got. Guy would still get 30mins a game but would allow him to be the main scorer with the second unit, something of which Vogel has made a effort to make sure he gets mins with(I think hes got reasons for this). Just my thoughts guys.

Lucks on our side

vCash

Knee injury setback

Quote Originally Posted by ombada View Post
    ive been waiting a long time to see Granger play with this core. Im kind of frustrated, but only because i see such potential with Granger drawing guys out of the driving lanes with his shooting. He was an important piece before and this year he could make a big impact.

On the other hand if he doesnt come back healthy or good, thats a lot of money we know will be coming off the books, some to pay Stephenson and some to re-sign/sign players in the offseason.

I do think he will come back in a week and half and play some kind of role with our team this season. Im anxious to see it.
    The Pacers are taking Granger's numbers and they are going to George next year. That was how we were able to give him a max.

I heard a report that he isn't just having setbacks with his calf, but he is having issues with his knee again. He will never start for us again, we cannot risk his health. Vogel wants our starters to mesh, and that will never happen with Granger being injured every time he touches a basketball. I want him to come back because our line-ups would be scary, because when George/ Stephenson play with the second unit, they would be at 2 against weak defenders, and I feel like they would thrive, but We really cannot rely on Granger. Another set back, from a knee injury that 80% of players can play through.

vCash
    ^He denied that yesterday, but it honestly wouldn't surprise me. I feel like we have rushed him back multiple times now.

We never really heard when/how he hurt his calf during the pre-season, but IMO I think it was an overall result of him being out of shape. Just a guess, but I feel pretty confident saying that.

#iubb

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullhill View Post
    I get the comparisons more with Jermaine than with Bender, but one of the reasons I want Danny back is that I'm still scared of the "bad Lance" streaks we have all seen.

I do like the way he is playing now, but we still see that Mr. Hyde peeking out once in a while. Maybe its his emotions, or desire to be a primary scorer right now, but its like a switch flips in him, and he decides he's going to go on a scoring run right now and starts driving to the basket and gets a charging foul, or chucks it up from wherever he can get.

Anyway, if Vogel believes Lance has turned the corner, I trust his eye more than mine and I know Lance is the future more than Danny. But given a choice between Danny and Lance in a series against Miami this year, I'd take Danny.
    My issue is that with Lance, PG, and Hill defensively we can do a lot more things than with Hill, Granger. and PG since Granger can really only defend the 3 and small 4.

Putting Granger with the starting unit limits their defensive strategy since it makes everyone guard their position almost exclusively.....and this puts PG at his secondary position. You get him against a smaller faster 2 and we could be seeing some foul trouble, that is even before I get into the continuity issues...which was a big reason we started 3-7 last year. The offense now goes from 2 multi tool guys capable of slashing at any point in PG and Lance at the wings to what I think (at least for a while) will be a spot up shooter in Gragner.

Also with Lance playing so well what kind of message does it send to a young team to replace him when he is hot? At the very least Granger needs to stay on the bench until Lance strings some bad Lance games together...but right now he is providing too big of a spark and causing too much trouble for opposing defenses to take him out of the lineup for a guy that hasn't played meaningful minutes since the Miami series 2 years ago.