Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 56
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    39,906
    vCash
    1000

    Rangers Extend Martin Perez for 4 years (3 club options)

    Team control now through 2020, could be paid up to 36 million.


    Speculation might mean no David Price to the Rangers (considering their rotation and that they appear confident in Perez being a starter for them).


    Great extension obviously, you have to lock these kids up.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    4,012
    vCash
    1500
    Great news for the Texas Rangers and Martin Perez. This is why I love baseball.

    I hope this kid lives up to expectations and this becomes one of the best contracts in baseball. (Good luck beating Matt Moore's contract LoL)
    Last edited by xabial; 11-07-2013 at 08:20 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    5,184
    vCash
    1650
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Team control now through 2020, could be paid up to 36 million.


    Speculation might mean no David Price to the Rangers (considering their rotation and that they appear confident in Perez being a starter for them).


    Great extension obviously, you have to lock these kids up.
    Agree.

    Same way the Sox made the smart move in locking up Chris Sale.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    9,737
    vCash
    1500
    Super excited to hear this. I've been a fan of Perez since his AA days in Frisco.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    san josYAY
    Posts
    11,939
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Team control now through 2020, could be paid up to 36 million.


    Speculation might mean no David Price to the Rangers (considering their rotation and that they appear confident in Perez being a starter for them).


    Great extension obviously, you have to lock these kids up.
    He delayed his free agency by two seasons, I don't know why he didn't get the 1st option year guaranteed, especially if he is giving the team two option years.
    Last edited by ciaban; 11-08-2013 at 08:06 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    39,906
    vCash
    1000
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    He delayed his free agency by two seasons, I don't know why he didn't get the 1st option year guaranteed, especially if he is giving the team to option years.
    He can always be non-tendered essentially and made a FA at that time.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    san josYAY
    Posts
    11,939
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    He can always be non-tendered essentially and made a FA at that time.
    he can be non-tendered at any point in time, that's no reason to give the team those years without any guarantee, go mutual option at least, because if the team is unwilling to pick up the options nothing would change if they were team or mutual options.

    Team options and player options are always Win-Win for one party and Lose-Lose for the other.
    Last edited by ciaban; 11-08-2013 at 08:09 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    39,906
    vCash
    1000
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    he can be non-tendered at any point in time, that's no reason to give the team those years without any guarantee, go mutual option at least, because if the team is unwilling to pick up the options nothing would change if they were team or mutual options.

    Team options and player options are always Win-Win for one party and Lose-Lose for the other.
    You are acting like it would be so easy as to just do it.

    Perez is getting guaranteed money here for the sake of those option years....that's sort of the entire trade off.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    18,403
    vCash
    1500
    Perez is a personal favorite. The ceiling is massive. The arm is tremendous. One thing I did notice is that his curveball wasn't what it was hyped to be. His change up is sweet and will only become more effective if/as his fastball command improves. His fastball has great velocity for a lefty.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 11-08-2013 at 08:59 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Kris Medlen's Bed
    Posts
    10,150
    vCash
    1500

    Rangers Extend Martin Perez for 4 years (3 club options)

    Wasnt this guy a top 100 for like 5 years?


    The Cult of Gattis

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    14,840
    vCash
    1500

    Rangers Extend Martin Perez for 4 years (3 club options)

    Good deal for the Rangers, I wonder if this makes him even more desirable for the Rays as part of a Price deal?

    I don't at all think that is Texas' plan, but just curious.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    san josYAY
    Posts
    11,939
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    You are acting like it would be so easy as to just do it.

    Perez is getting guaranteed money here for the sake of those option years....that's sort of the entire trade off.
    It is easy, it's just part of the contract negotiation. Negotiation is all about give and take, and a lot of times these contracts are just all give by one side.

    But doing those 3 option years as a mutual options it accomplishes the same thing.

    Getting the player locked into a guaranteed deal is just as important to the team, it takes arbitration off the table, you will know year to year how that player will affect your payroll which is very valuable to teams.

    I mean less than half of the contract is guaranteed, all of it's value is in team controlled years.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    59,325
    vCash
    1700
    Jeffy nailed it.

    So important to lock these kids up early, this will be an absolute steal of a deal for the Rangers.

    Rochester Jeffersons

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    19,807
    vCash
    1500
    Having Perez around for 9M in 2020 is an absolute steal. I'm amazed he signed it. Great job by the Rangers.


    Vic Mackey: You better figure out how much you hate me. And how you're going to deal with that. 'Cause I'm not going anywhere.

    This sums up every sports interview, ever.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    650
    vCash
    1500
    Perez is a moron.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •