Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

So who earned the NFC defensive player of the week honors?

After recording three sacks in his first 21 NFL games, McClellin matched that total in a stirring 27-20 win over the Packers, helping the Bears claim a share of first place in the NFC North.

"It was rewarding for me for sure, but more importantly for the d-line and the defense," McClellin said Wednesday. "I think we needed a game like that for us and we've got to keep building off that."

McClellin's sack of Aaron Rodgers on Green Bay's first possession knocked the Packers quarterback out of the game with a fractured left collarbone, an injury that is expected to sideline him for several weeks.

McClellin added two more sacks of backup Seneca Wallace in the fourth quarter. The first, which came with the Bears protecting a 24-20 lead, forced a Green Bay punt, while the second occurred on the final play of the game.

"I was very pleased with some of the things that Shea did in the game," said defensive coordinator Mel Tucker. "His rush was very effective at critical times in the game, so that was very positive."

Monday night's three-sack performance came at a perfect time for McClellin, who had been the subject of mounting criticism from fans and media for a lack of production this season. In the first seven games, the 2012 first-round pick had recorded only 11 tackles and a half sack.

"Shea has worked very hard at this game and he's done that since the very beginning," Tucker said. "When you have guys that have talent and that put a lot of hard work and effort with that, eventually guys are going to break through and so I think that's what we saw."

Bears coach Marc Trestman was pleased with McClellin's performance against the Packers and is confident that the Boise State product will build on it moving forward.

"No. 1, he's been working very hard," Trestman said. "No. 2, he's a very prideful guy. He wants to be great and it hasn't all shown up immediately like a lot of people think it should, and everybody has their own perspective on things.

"But I think that after Monday night's game there's a little more light on the topic now and a little more self-confidence. We all believe in Shea and we've shown Shea that he'll bring out more of that in himself as well as he matures. It was a great sign for Shea and a great sign for our football team."

Tucker also feels that the outing will boost McClellin's confidence.

"When you perform on a stage like that-it's a division game on the road, a Monday night-and you're able to contribute in a big way to a win, I think you can learn from that and gain confidence from that and move forward," Tucker said, "and I think that's what we need to do."

McClellin's success came after the Bears focused on technique and fundamentals during two extra practices following their bye week.

"He's worked hard in practice," Tucker said, "Coach [Mike] Phair and coach [Michael] Sinclair have done a nice job with those guys, with the pass-rush techniques and the get-off and the approach and things like that. That was a big point of emphasis during the bye week and I think it paid dividends for us."
    http://www.chicagobears.com/news/art...2-55bd8c005895

SHEEAAAMMMUUUUUSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!

Good job, kid!

vCash
    Hopefully it carries over.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaBear View Post
    Hopefully it carries over.
    x2

vCash
    Bust label now gone for ever, he can retire. Thanks for the memories, Sheamus!

vCash
    hopefully someone lit a fire under his arse.

JUST HAVING ANOTHER HEART ATTACK HERE BOB!!! AAAAND IM DONE! THAT MAKES A BAKERS DOZEN.

vCash
    sweet
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

vCash
    Apparently the Dline was given new drills to work on with Phair. If the defense can turn a corner when Ratliff and Briggs come back this could be a very dangerous team in the playoffs.

vCash
    Lucky IMO. Said it before but two of them looked like gifts than anything else.

And he's still awful against the run. If Ratliff can play, moving Woot back to DE and Shea regulated to mostly passing downs helps us considerably IMO.

Oh, I'm in Puerto Rico

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by toovey107 View Post
    Lucky IMO. Said it before but two of them looked like gifts than anything else.

And he's still awful against the run. If Ratliff can play, moving Woot back to DE and Shea regulated to mostly passing downs helps us considerably IMO.

Oh, I'm in Puerto Rico
    Then you shouldn't be online

vCash
    Still not getting my hopes up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cub_StuckinSTL View Post
    Then you shouldn't be online
    Waiting on the woman

vCash
    Everyone don't kid yourselves, we are gonna need 4 new guys to replace who are playing now. If sheamus didn't have this game he would be 5. He is good (could be great) and we should keep him. I would love to start teaching him our middle LB schemes to use him there next year, that would be a thing of beauty. But did you see some of those sacks how they were credited to him for the qb being a ***** and jumpimg around? was funny.

vCash
    I'd like to see him moved all over. On the line on 3rd and long situations as part of a special package. SLB, MLB, even weak side. The great thing about Bostic and Greene is that they're versatile. They don't have to be locked into one position. We have the freedom to move guys around and create special packages if we want to do that. IMO, it would be best to utilize Shea in multiple positions. I don't think he's an every down DE but I do think he could be effective as a pass rusher in certain situations. If you play him at MLB and SLB in coverage and a blitzer I think that could give offenses problems.

A new role for Shea, re-sign Wonton, sign another DE and draft a DT in the first round and we should be pretty good as far as the pass rush. Re-sign Peanut, sign Verner or Talib and someone like Byrd and our whole defense is back to very good to go along with a balanced offense. Especially if we sign someone like Alex Mack and draft a deep threat and\or a hybrid type of TE to compliment Marty.

vCash
    Congrats Sheamus! Add value so we can trade you in the off season.

vCash
    Why are people so insistant on moving Shea around?...it's a stupid idea to have a guy play 3-4 very different positions skill-wise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast