Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Post MJ: Interesting Read on Breaking the last All White NFL Team

Just thought this was an interesting read on breaking the last all-white NFL team, which now is in controversy again...

That Time Nazis Marched for Washington's All-White Football Team

óBy Alex Park
    Thu Nov. 7, 2013 3:00 AM PST

Currently, Washington, DC's pro football team, the [Redacted], has the distinction of being the only team in the NFL whose name is a racial slur. A little more than 50 years ago, it had another unfortunate distinction: It was the last remaining all-white team in the league.

A timeline of racist teams, nicknames, and mascots

The struggle to integrate Washington's football team is recounted in Thomas G. Smith's 2012 book, Showdown: JFK and the Integration of the Washington Redskins. As Smith tells it, the showdown began in 1961, when John F. Kennedy's interior secretary, Stewart Udall, who'd committed to ending segregation anywhere in his sphere of influence, declared his intent to break pro football's last color bar. Udall later recalled, "I considered it outrageous that the Redskins were the last team in the NFL to have a lily-white policy."

The call for integration was met with opposition, most notably from the team's owner, George Preston Marshall, a laundromat magnate turned NFL bigwig who had held firm for years. As legendary Washington Post columnist Shirley Povich wrote:

For the 24 years when he was identified as the leading racist in the NFL, he simply stared down the criticism of his refusal to sign a black player. It was the only subject on which the voluble Marshall never expressed a public opinion, never resorted to a quip. But he bristled when this columnist reminded him in print that "the Redskins colors are burgundy, gold and Caucasian."

Marshall appeared as outraged by federal interference as he was by the prospect of diversity. "Why Negroes particularly?" he asked. "Why not make us hire a player from another race? In fact, why not a woman? Of course, we have had players who played like girls, but never an actual girl player." The controversy drew out assorted bigots, including neo-Nazis (above), who protested on Marshall's behalf to "Keep [the] Redskins White."

Udall had one advantage over Marshall: The team's new home field, DC Stadium (later renamed RFK Memorial), was federal property. With Kennedy's approval, Udall gave Marshall a choice: He could let black players on his team, or take his all-white squad to someone else's gridiron.

"You can't tell what will happen under the guise of liberalism," Marshall griped shortly before acquiring a handful of black players for the 1962 season. He would comply with Udall's demands even if it meant hiring "Eskimos or Chinese or Mongolians." The newly integrated team went on to have its best season in five years.
    http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2013...-football-team

vCash
    Lets see what kind of absurd tactic we can use to demonize the Washington Redskins.
    Bill Parcells: "You are what your record says you are."

vCash
    Lets just get it over with and call them the Washington Whiteskins. And their logo can be a white slave ship captain, with whips and all. Because apparently that's all white people have done to the minorities of this country so far, enslaved them, or took their land or degraded them. Why beat around the bush any longer?

vCash
    Sometimes I just wish we could take in some info without immediately having to jump to one of 2 polarizing political positions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nessythegreat View Post
    Lets just get it over with and call them the Washington Whiteskins. And their logo can be a white slave ship captain, with whips and all. Because apparently that's all white people have done to the minorities of this country so far, enslaved them, or took their land or degraded them. Why beat around the bush any longer?
    http://buffalopost.net/wp-content/up...htinwhites.png

CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM!

vCash
    Realized I posted this without seeing the other Reskins name thread in full swing. My bad, I'm gonna change the title. This wasn't about bringing up that issue, I just thought the history was interesting in how they got them to break the color barrier for the Redskins players (stadium being on federal ground, etc.).

vCash
    I saw someone on this website recommend it, but if they ever had to change it I think just the "Skins" would be appropriate.

Similar enough to the old name and their mascot can be like a football or sometihing.
    Go Knicks!

All time

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandIcedZ View Post
    I saw someone on this website recommend it, but if they ever had to change it I think just the "Skins" would be appropriate.

Similar enough to the old name and their mascot can be like a football or sometihing.
    That would be nice considering people already call them The Skins, but WAS fans aren't going to be happy with changing the mascot and name. I truly don't care about the whole ordeal since I hate the Skins and I'm not a fan, but if someone wanted to change my favorite team I'd be pissed.

CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    That would be nice considering people already call them The Skins, but WAS fans aren't going to be happy with changing the mascot and name. I truly don't care about the whole ordeal since I hate the Skins and I'm not a fan, but if someone wanted to change my favorite team I'd be pissed.
    Agreed. I couldnt care less. I'm not a Redskins fan.

And I would be pissed too, but I'm trying to minimize the backlash.
    Go Knicks!

All time

vCash
    If the Redskins ever change their name which I hope they don't (coming from someone whose ancestors were both Apache and Navajo), I would be willing to bet that Chiefs name will be a controversy in years to come. USA has had a pretty successful track record of erasing native americans and the their tragic history.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sciferguy View Post
    If the Redskins ever change their name which I hope they don't (coming from someone whose ancestors were both Apache and Navajo), I would be willing to bet that Chiefs name will be a controversy in years to come. USA has had a pretty successful track record of erasing native americans and the their tragic history.
    Chief is a title/rank, not a racially based derogatory term though.

I think "Indians" would be next, considering it was incredibly incorrect. On that note: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWZkwuILn_s

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nessythegreat View Post
    seriously...

i understand our country has a dark past of slavery, but throughout history, slavery has ALWAYS been around. it is relatively recent in human history that slavery isnt prevalent all around the world or at the very least existing in the countries with power, so im kind of tired of hearing about.

yes, it is terrible, but almost everyone in history has been enslaved or persecuted at some point. Christians, Jews, Africans, basically all of Europe enslaved their own people along with others, Ancient Greece and Rome being the major ones (which are regarded as amazing civilizations for their time and it was possible because of slavery). hell, even Africans enslaved their own people by participating in slave trade with other countries.

and again, im not saying that slavery at those times was okay or is ever right, but my point is that it was happening everywhere with all races and to associate slavery with just white Americans and African Americans is so ignorant.
    Bulls
    Bears
    White Sox

AND YOUR NEW STANLEY CUP CHAMPS, THE BLACKHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vCash
    What about "Commander in Chief"?

Buncha' phoneys
    Bill Parcells: "You are what your record says you are."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sciferguy:27361862
    Its called white mans guilt. I get it. Actually I feel bad for the races the white man mistreated. It is a fact of our history a dark history many want to correct. No I may not have personally taken part but when I did a search on my family name a few disturbing things came up. My elders on my fathers side (not the other side or my fathers moms side none of them were in the US yet) fought for the south and were slave owners. I cant help but feel guilt over that.

Me and my Boy.
    No halo.
    Thank you PSD for your support and prayers.

vCash
    if it was so offensive it woulda been changed 25 years ago

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast