Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

UPDATE: Tim Hudson signs with Giants

With Mark Bowman saying flat out today that he thinks "Huddy will sign elsewhere," I think it's time that Timmy got his own thread for discussing his future.

I think we all sort of have a skewed viewpoint of Hudson since he's been in Atlanta so long and taken discounts to stay, but Matthew Pouliot of HardballTalk reminds us that Huddy could "get $15 million per season for one or two years" if he were to test the market. In a world where Hiroki Kuroda, who is older than Hudson and only somewhat better, will not even think twice before turning down a $14.1 million qualifying offer, and where Dan Haren gets $13 million for one year, let's not forget how much money Hudson would be leaving on the table if he came back to the Braves in the $8-9 million range.

And with David O'Brien telling us the other day that the Braves wanted to bring Hudson back at a "significantly lower" salary, it's starting to look more and more likely that Hudson heads elsewhere. I, for one, would be sad to see that since I think Hudson fits the Braves' needs perfectly, but his situation has definitely become one to watch.

Discuss.

vCash
    Like I've said before, I want to see Hudson retire a Braves. I don't think Huddy will get $13+ mil a year. I do think he could play for around the same amount as this year. Hudson is a great leader, teammate, and pitcher. I think we should bring him back on a one year $9 million deal, with $2M in incentives, then have a team option for a second year. Hopefully the Braves can get him back, it's more than numbers with Hudson to me.
    <span style=font-family: Georgia>[II][/I]</span>

vCash
    If Hudson sign elsewhere we need to check on Halladay, if he's healthy he can be a good acquisition.

vCash
    Told ya. We'll see how it unfolds but the talk of a "discount" with substantial guarantees seems like a waste of time for both parties. In-house replacements already here, and Hudson can clean up on the open market. He would be a fool to turn that down.
    Last edited by Bravo95; 11-07-2013 at 02:27 AM.

vCash

Tim Hudson

**** we are broke

The Cult of Gattis

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo95 View Post
    Told ya. We'll see how it unfolds but the talk of a "discount" with substantial guarantee seems like a waste of time. In-house replacements already here, and Hudson can clean up on the open market. He would be a fool to turn that down.
    We'll indeed see how it goes, but with the way the Braves are positioned, we cant afford to rely on rookies and inexperienced pitching. We need a Vet or to try and acquire a front line starter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL#22 View Post
    **** we are broke
    Lol..i don't think that's the reason. Wren probably has a few moves in mind and doesn't want to be tied into an aging pitcher when we only need a stop gap.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westside
    but with the way the Braves are positioned, we cant afford to rely on rookies and inexperienced pitching.
    Uh, who do you think the Braves have been relying on? And fans can't talk about loading up for a run (frontline starter) then get all protective when it comes to their prospects. As I said, some of you simply don't have the stomach for the cost.

vCash
    Uh, who do you think the Braves have been relying on? And fans can't talk about loading up for a run (frontline starter) then get all protective when it comes to their prospects. As I said, some of you simply don't have the stomach for the cost.
    I never said we absolutely have to make a run at an Ace. The Braves have always had a veteran in the rotation. Hudson,Lowe,Smoltz, Glavine, and Maholm come to mind in the past 8 years. Besides, the Braves want in this position since 2005. We have a legit shot at a WS title. We need some guys healthy and some guys to improve but we have the talent to win. Its no need to go through unnecessary growing pains and headaches and let our chance go by.

vCash
    I absolutely love Tim Hudson and I want him retiring as a Brave, but if he's in the 13-15 million range we have to let him walk. In the last six seasons he has been worth that much exactly 1 time (2011) and since he has been with the Braves 2 times in 9 seasons (2007, 2011) all other years he has been worth less than 10 million. And he's coming off a gruesome injury, I wouldn't give him more than 10 honestly, and i'm hesitant on that .

Simmons over Harper!!!

WAR Stats:

2014 - Simmons 0.7 vs Harper -0.2
    2013 - Simmons 4.7 vs Harper 3.8
    Career - Simmons 7.6 vs Harper 8.1
    162 game average - Simmons 5.0 vs Harper 4.7

updated 5/22/14

vCash
    Some team will be desperate for some consistent production, which Hudson offers, and will overpay. Hudson was on pace for 2-3 WAR season, and I think the same is likely true of the next season or two. It's not bad, but Minor was better than that plus Teheran and Medlen were in the area. It's not a knock on anyone, but Hudson would make double (at his market rate) than those 3 combined.

For $9M-10M, I can be talked into it being a decent idea for the Braves. At $15M it doesn't make sense. If Hudson wants to make that extra, $3M-5M per season somewhere else, I support him. He doesn't have that many seasons left, and I understand cashing in.

vCash
    News is the Rookies are going hard for Huddy, would be a good fit for them being they need pitching and he is a ground ball pitcher. I would think he wants to go to more of a contender though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post
    If Hudson sign elsewhere we need to check on Halladay, if he's healthy he can be a good acquisition.
    EDIT: I changed my opinion. See here.

Quote Originally Posted by ATL#22 View Post
    **** we are broke
    Not really. The Braves could extend Hudson if they really wanted to, but it sounds like Frank Wren is being appropriately cautious about a 38-year-old pitcher coming off major ankle surgery. Depending on the money he ends up getting, there might be better bargains out there. Say Halladay would sign for $6 million, plus $6 million in incentives. Would you prefer Hudson at $12-13 million? I might take Doc in that situation.

Great point. Lots of Braves fans saying, "we need an ace" while simultaneously saying, "I won't trade anyone."
    Last edited by rtgthree; 11-10-2013 at 11:32 PM.

vCash
    http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articl...st-275111.html

Bye Huddy. Oh well, now we can go get Kendrick and Scherzer.
    1991 Lost WS to Twins 4-3
    1992 Lost WS to Blue Jays 4-2
    1993 Lost NLCS to Phillies 4-2
    1996 Lost WS to Yankees 4-2 (led 2-0)
    1997 Lost NLCS to Marlins 4-2
    1998 Lost NLCS to Padres 4-2
    1999 Lost WS 4-0 to Yankees
    2000 Lost NLDS 3-0 to Cardinals
    2001 Lost NLCS to Diamondbacks 4-1
    2002 Lost NLDS 3-2 to Giants
    2003 Lost NLDS 3-2 to Cubs
    2004 Lost NLDS 3-2 to Astros
    2005 Lost NLDS 3-1 to Astros
    2010 Lost NLDS 3-1 to Giants
    2012 Lost NLWC 1-0 to Cardinals
    2013 Lost NLDS 3-1 to Dodgers

vCash
    I didn't really want to resign hudson, even though he has been one of my favorite braves for a while. He seems like a fun guy anyways: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeF9u76t_X8

I hope he comes back as a coach or manager one day... with the braves of course.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast