Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

NBA.com - New Statistics Section this Year is Awesome

Yo guys, I wanted to post a thread to make sure everyone is aware of the new nba.com statistics page this year. They completely revamped it with a heavy emphasis on advanced statistics and information with SportsVU Player Tracking. A friend showed me this the other day and it's pretty sick.

www.stats.nba.com

Now you can easily track advanced statistics for individual players. For example - individual time of possession and touches per game, driving statistics, rim protection, true shooting percentages, rebound % per chance, clutch stats, distance traveled per game/speed, etc. It's awesome.

Example 1: Player PPG on Drives - http://stats.nba.com/playerTrackingD...&sortOrder=DES

You can see that Evan Turner is 4th in the league in PPG on drives to the basket this year. He's shooting an astouding 82% from the field on those drives! MCW is up there as well.

Example 2: Touches/Possession - http://stats.nba.com/playerTrackingT...&sortOrder=DES

You can see that Chris Paul leads the league by a wide margin in touches per game and time of possession per game. The ball is in his hands 7.5 minutes per game.

Example 3: Speed/Distance - http://stats.nba.com/playerTrackingS...rowsPerPage=25

You can see that Chandler Parsons leads the league in distance traveled per game, moving/running almost 3 miles every game and moving at an average speed of 4.3 mph.

Example 4: Passing - http://stats.nba.com/playerTrackingP...&sortOrder=DES

You can see that MCW is 9th in the league in points created off assists per game at 18. Chris Paul leads the league by a wide margin.

You can even see the stats of every lineup the Sixers have had on the floor for the entire season - http://stats.nba.com/teamLineups.html?TeamID=1610612755

Anyways, the list of advanced statistics you can now see on nba.com with easy access goes on and on. I just wanted to share this info with everyone. I think it's really cool and should make for some better forum discussion here. Check it out!
    Last edited by sixer04fan; 11-06-2013 at 04:15 PM.

vCash
    I saw it too. The use of the new SportTAK or whatever it's called system in arenas is awesome.

Basically the computer can track each individual movement, to the slightest of shift, and it knows where the ball is to calculate all of these things.

Some teams across a few sports used this. Miami Heat used it to track the speed and distance run by their players. A few NFL teams used to to measure WR's speed, distance, and route when out for passes.

In 5 years this technology is going to massively alter how coaches coach offense by seeing how spacing is and player movement. And who to get the ball when.
    DO NOT TRUST YOUR PETS TO NEMACOLIN WOODLANDS KENNEL

On 7/20/14 we took our Calla and Pebble for a stay while on vacation. On 7/21 Calla, who is diabetic, was given 10x her insulin dosage. She wasn't found until 12 hours after being overdosed. After a week and a half of suffering we made the tough decision to put her down because of brain damage and a lack of a quality of life. She was only 7 and her breed lives until their 20's. Over half of our beloved Calla's life was stolen from us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    I saw it too. The use of the new SportTAK or whatever it's called system in arenas is awesome.

Basically the computer can track each individual movement, to the slightest of shift, and it knows where the ball is to calculate all of these things.

Some teams across a few sports used this. Miami Heat used it to track the speed and distance run by their players. A few NFL teams used to to measure WR's speed, distance, and route when out for passes.

In 5 years this technology is going to massively alter how coaches coach offense by seeing how spacing is and player movement. And who to get the ball when.
    I have to imagine most teams are using it now and have been for a while, even if only to a very small extent. The difference is most of this information never used to be free and/or open to the public.

For those who weren't aware of it being on nba.com this season, check it out. Should definitely make for some more in depth conversations on the forum.

vCash
    In the NBA it was gaining traction. NBA paid for it in every arena (I think). As for the practice facility, not all teams have it...yet.

I imagine, knowing what Hinkie likes to do, putting this in was first thing he did before resetting voicemail, getting his own chair, or even putting his name on the door.

But I agree with you sixer....great thing for make in depth conversations. And I think it's a great BS tool too. I like the Assist Opportunities, Second hand Assist, and FT off Assists.
    Last edited by warfelg; 11-06-2013 at 03:35 PM.
    DO NOT TRUST YOUR PETS TO NEMACOLIN WOODLANDS KENNEL

On 7/20/14 we took our Calla and Pebble for a stay while on vacation. On 7/21 Calla, who is diabetic, was given 10x her insulin dosage. She wasn't found until 12 hours after being overdosed. After a week and a half of suffering we made the tough decision to put her down because of brain damage and a lack of a quality of life. She was only 7 and her breed lives until their 20's. Over half of our beloved Calla's life was stolen from us.

vCash
    im not that big on most advanced stats but this is awesome. these are the type of advanced stats i prefer over things like win shares.

RETURN OF THE MAC

vCash
    im not that big on most advanced stats but this is awesome. these are the type of advanced stats i prefer over things like win shares.
    Yeah it's pretty much the coolest thing I've ever seen haha. So glad we can see this kind of information now. It's awesome.

vCash
    http://stats.nba.com/playerTrackingC...rowsPerPage=25

^Kyle Korver currently shooting 72% on catch and shoot threes haha. An effective FG% of 97.7%. That's just unfair.

vCash
    EDIT- Wrong Thread