Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

How to be a mid market fan??

We as Nuggets fans have to deal with the fact we are a mid market team. After years and years of being a Nuggets fan since the day where my favorite player was Micheal Adams I have a question.. How do you be a mid market fan?? We could be a average team like we have been for the last few years with no real hope at a championship or do you do the unthinkable and hope your team loses so you get the top pick which could turn your team into a contender?? Growing up my Nuggets were never a great team and it is hard cheering for a bad team. Then one year we were bad enough and landed a top pick, we chose Melo and it turned this dusty old cow town into a real basketball town. We had hope and we actually had a chance one year but then our knight and shining armor ditched us and so did our dreams of finally the Nuggs being champs.. We can't get a top free agent like other sports even if ownership would do it. So how do you build a championship team in a mid market town without a superstar?? I say in today's NBA you can't and I hope they fix it but until then I honestly wouldn't mind the Nuggs being bad for one season.. I Guess call me a bad fan but I would rather be bad for a year or two and get a top player to possibly take us to the top than be a average or below average team. In my opinion the Nuggets only hope to get to championship talk is to suck enough to get a great draft pick. Again we have no hope in FA so is it bad realistically as a Nuggets fan to hope we lose to win in the future?? Tough question but Love Nuggets either way!!

vCash
    I can definitely see where your coming from especially where our nuggets are now at this point, it is frustrating to be a mid market team seeing us be a 6-8 seed team especially when we usually will not get better in FA since let's face it we don't really have attractive players at the moment. But there are also times when it's great like our 09' run we had. It is most definitely a roller coaster ride, which is why I too wouldn't be opposed to getting in the lottery for a year and get a really talented player that is the usual way to get out of the "mid market" we could end up with another high caliber player like Melo but with actual supporting players this time around so he doesn't leave. We should trade faired + chandler for either picks or a true 2 guard and play this season out cause in all honesty even with Gallo and Ill Will back I just don't think we can compete with these other teams in the west especially since everyone seems to be getting better and we're staying complacent you can say it's injury's or getting used to shaw's style etc. but we don't have players for shaw's system especially at the 2&4 I think McGee will improve as time proceeds but we have to score a BIG time player to get championship aspirations and the draft seems like the only realistic way, but that's just my opinion everyone differs. But as OP said either way we go I will still be a die hard fan.

vCash
    I am all in for tanking or being bad "unintentionally". But I am not impressed with what Josh and Connelly are doing. I would be much more in on it, if Ujiri was the man behind it.

Tanking and taking good decisions = superstars like OKC got.

Tanking and making bad decisions = Memphis Grizzlies passing on Kevin Love and James Harden for OJ Mayo and Hasheem Thabeet.

vCash
    Maybe Josh was thinking what I said, I was kinda wondering if possibly that was his intention for firing Karl not bringing back Masai.. Manimal maybe this is the plan after all?? As a owner I could see it in this day in the NBA??

vCash
    It wouldn't be tough if Josh would know what to do...I was really believeing in this team and Shaw, but it really looks like those players can't play in his system, and that system should be a good one(better than R&G). That's why Josh, Tim and Shaw should sit down and talk about this teams future. If we wan't to keep Shaw for more than 3 years, and to make something, we should first make a list(Shaws list) of players that he wants on this team, and that he thinks would be valuable pieces in his system, if that's Rudy Gay, bring him Gay, if that's Granger, bring him Granger, if that's Derozan or Rondo, bring them, do everything to make those trade happen, but do it early in the season, so they have time for "training camp" this whole year, draft in the lottery, and sign FAs(again from the Shaws list) that would be good in his system...I don't mind us tanking, but i would mind if we get 10-15th pick, why? Because this is greatest draft in a while, and if you can't make POs, better don't be 8th or 9th seed..
    I would also trade our core, because it's made for Karls R&G, not for HC offense, maybe Gallo would be good in it, and it would be good for us to keep him, so he can sit out this season, and we will get good pick...
    Even Chandler won't help us that much now, because one player can't make others play like they should...so what we need is to make a trade for 7-8 players that are good in HCO, and let them play out this season without high expectations...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Game_Over View Post
    Maybe Josh was thinking what I said, I was kinda wondering if possibly that was his intention for firing Karl not bringing back Masai.. Manimal maybe this is the plan after all?? As a owner I could see it in this day in the NBA??
    Well I hope it is. They can't be serious about "building around McGee" and bringing an All-Star journeyman cast and trying to trade Faried because of Hickson.

Either they are serious with it, in that case we are ****ed. But may be they are trying to be less blatant with the tank.

vCash
    I hate tanking, I think its the worst thing in sports and I lose so much respect for the teams that do so. I get the advantages, but there is nothing that destroys the integrity of a sport more than losing on purpose.

I think you can build a contender in our situation if you make great decisions. I thought Ujiri did that and was on his way to turning us into a geat team. What this season so far screams to me is that Masai really was just that special, without him we are the west's bucks. (not even that good so far)

vCash
    Getting rid of Karl was a step in the right direction but it happened way later then it should have. Right now I think one of two things needs to happen before this team tanks...

First is see how this squad performs in the playoffs with gallo and hopefully chandler. Shaw is supposed to be a good half court coach who has been preaching playoff success so im curious to see how this translates.

Second is to see what assets this team can trade for to get pieces who can turn this team into a true contender. There is talent on this team and im sure some team would be willing to get some depth (...right?).

If none of these things come into fruition we should tank OR try to pull a Houston. Maybe get one decent player over to Denver then try and sign top talent like Dwight. Worked for Houston...
    Rainbow City Redemption

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
    Well I hope it is. They can't be serious about "building around McGee" and bringing an All-Star journeyman cast and trying to trade Faried because of Hickson.

Either they are serious with it, in that case we are ****ed. But may be they are trying to be less blatant with the tank.
    Building around Mcgee would indeed be a nightmare....
    Rainbow City Redemption

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IgglesFanInCO:27355005
    I hate tanking, I think its the worst thing in sports and I lose so much respect for the teams that do so. I get the advantages, but there is nothing that destroys the integrity of a sport more than losing on purpose.

I think you can build a contender in our situation if you make great decisions. I thought Ujiri did that and was on his way to turning us into a geat team. What this season so far screams to me is that Masai really was just that special, without him we are the west's bucks. (not even that good so far)
    The NBA has no credibility to begin with so it's all good

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFreshNsoClean View Post
    Getting rid of Karl was a step in the right direction but it happened way later then it should have. Right now I think one of two things needs to happen before this team tanks...

First is see how this squad performs in the playoffs with gallo and hopefully chandler. Shaw is supposed to be a good half court coach who has been preaching playoff success so im curious to see how this translates.

Second is to see what assets this team can trade for to get pieces who can turn this team into a true contender. There is talent on this team and im sure some team would be willing to get some depth (...right?).

If none of these things come into fruition we should tank OR try to pull a Houston. Maybe get one decent player over to Denver then try and sign top talent like Dwight. Worked for Houston...
    If we are going to tank, we should do it this season, when real talent is available, not 1 or 2 seasons after "best draft in 10 years"...I think we could get Rondo, Derozan, Jefferson(or some better C), draft one of Wiggins/Parker/Randle/Robinson and put Gallo at PF spot. Keep Nate, Foye, Hickson as backups, and draft few more players in late 1st...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ty_Lawson View Post
    If we are going to tank, we should do it this season, when real talent is available, not 1 or 2 seasons after "best draft in 10 years"...I think we could get Rondo, Derozan, Jefferson(or some better C), draft one of Wiggins/Parker/Randle/Robinson and put Gallo at PF spot. Keep Nate, Foye, Hickson as backups, and draft few more players in late 1st...
    Not a bad plan.
    Rainbow City Redemption

vCash
    I also hate tanking. I want to win as many games as possible even if we are destined for a lottery pick.
    But if we are going to 'rebuild' let's not pretend that we're not. With the way the team is currently constructed I find it difficult to see us in the playoffs and I can't see us with a top 5 pick either. I still think we have the talent and I believe that Coach Shaw is the right man to turn us into a contender in the coming years but it was never going to be straightforward especially after losing Iggy.
    If Shaw and co are set on rebuilding and shaping his own team around his own system, something this team is not currently suited too then why not go into the full rebuild mode?
    I'd be okay with trading everyone but Ty and Gallo if this is the ultimate direction the team will take.
    I'll stress again, I absolutely hate tanking and want us to be competitive in every single game we play but I'm not so blindsighted as a fan to see it could be beneficial in the long run.

vCash
    Looking at some of the guys play now, I am gettin more and more convinced about tanking.

Wiggins
    Randle
    Parker
    Young
    Selden
    Embiid
    Gary Harris

And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IgglesFanInCO View Post

That said, what great decisions are out there that can turn us into a contender outside of tanking right now?
    Jerry West or Larry Bird? The discussion is over.
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/.../birdje01.html

Part of the GOAT team: Chamberlain, Bird, Duncan, Durrant, Ewing, Gervin.
    http://bkref.com/tiny/JIHaF