Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rookie Hazing!

vCash

Rookie Hazing!

Rookie Hazing!

This issue with Jonathan Martin and Richie Incognito highlights problems in the NFL. Whether this event is just some hazing that has gone too far or was it bullying or was he actually torturing the poor guy, essentially “beating up on the little kid” is unknown.

Now all these teams have some form of rookie hazing. The Patriots do a few things we are all aware of (there may be others that we are not privy to). The Patriots rookies, carry the veterins pads during training camp, they get crazy haircuts, they get hosed down one day when it is hot and have to practice when soaking wet.

What does the team you follow have some events that could be considered rookie hazing? Talent shows? Rookie dinner? What do they do?

The rookies buying the veterans a meal I have heard is reasonably common across the league. I expect that may be OK, but abusing it may not be. Getting a meal is one thing, getting 10 meals to go may not. Some teams have canceled to rookie meal.

What is good and acceptable behavior?

Should the rookies just suck it up? Should all hazing end? Should the NFL take more control over it? Some guidelines? Some rules?
    Bill Parcells: "You are what your record says you are."

vCash
    Jim Schwartz instituted a partial no hazing policy when he came to the Lions. He's ok with rookies carrying pads, getting coffee for the vets, small stuff like that but outlawed stuff like sticking rookies with huge restaurant bills, tying players to the goalposts, haircuts, singing, etc.

Obviously it's ultimately up to the players to police themselves (when it comes to stuff like huge restaurant bills) because the coach isn't always around, but still.
    2014 Adopt-A-Lion: Golden Tate

vCash
    Death threats are fine by me.
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    Gabbert is clearly the best QB package in this draft in my opinion.
    All in all, if the Panthers are going to select a QB, Gabbert has to be the pick.
    People take this guy seriously?

vCash
    The Redskins haze their rookies by tearing their ACL's, I don't really see a problem with it.

vCash
    Meals, pad carrying, haircuts, and singing are all cool.

When it comes to death threats, racism, making him pay for your trip to vegas, and the legitimate fear of physical violence ( non football related. ) That should be grounds for serious and possibly legal action.

vCash
    I honestly haven't heard of any on the Chargers. Mante Teo (imaginary gf an all considered an easy target) was particularly pressed on this subject by the press. He got sick of answering this subject. His response was no... as long as he did his job on the field, learned his assignments no one gave him any crap.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    Death threats are fine by me.
    Only if its accompanied by racial slurs.
    "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
    —Arthur Schopenhauer (German philosopher, 1788-1860)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 34_for_life View Post
    Only if its accompanied by racial slurs.
    Good point. And if they threaten my mother.
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    Gabbert is clearly the best QB package in this draft in my opinion.
    All in all, if the Panthers are going to select a QB, Gabbert has to be the pick.
    People take this guy seriously?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FortDetroit View Post
    Jim Schwartz instituted a partial no hazing policy when he came to the Lions. He's ok with rookies carrying pads, getting coffee for the vets, small stuff like that but outlawed stuff like sticking rookies with huge restaurant bills, tying players to the goalposts, haircuts, singing, etc.

Obviously it's ultimately up to the players to police themselves (when it comes to stuff like huge restaurant bills) because the coach isn't always around, but still.
    I think thats how it should be for all teams

Thats one of the reasons im hesitant on wanting a new coach, Shartz has some things he needs to work on but overall i could think of alot of worse options
    Last edited by C-Wick925; 11-05-2013 at 08:12 PM.

vCash
    I think the paying for one dinner thing is fine, do small tasks, coffee, carrying pads, etc is fine. But obviously you can take it too far. The team should regulate it. And pay more attention to whats going on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Wick925 View Post

Thats one of the reasons im hesitant on wanting a new coach, Shartz has some things he needs to work on but overall i could think of alot of worse options
    Seems he's pretty good with locker room chemistry and the players seem to like him and always play hard for him. Those are his best qualities. His coaching is kind of meh though. Even during the disaster that was last season you didn't see any issues in the locker room or players turning on each other, blaming others, etc. (except everyone hating Titus because he went psycho, lol).
    2014 Adopt-A-Lion: Golden Tate

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Wick925 View Post

I think I might have paid to watch someone "attempt" to haze D.Suh...

vCash
    Hazing should remain on the football field and in the locker room / team facilities. It shouldn't ever get personal and it should never be outside the field. Carrying pads, getting donuts for team meetings, having to take funny pictures is all fine, IMO, but there is a fine line between hazing and harassing/bullying.
    Yankees - Jets - Rockets

vCash
    Like the Lions fans pointed out, this should come under the province of coaching... and the Miami coaching staff has a lot to answer for... for instance. IMO

vCash
    Wait Schwartz doesn't allow his offensive linemen to s--- in the mouth of rookies?

Can I fix you some sandwiches?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast