Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

NY Post: Rangers interested in Oilers phenom Yakupov?

The Oilers dispatched a scouting expedition featuring their president of hockey operations Kevin Lowe, general manager Craig MacTavish and special adviser Mark Messier to the Garden on Monday for the Rangers’ 2-1 defeat to the Ducks.

Edmonton, which has opened 3-10-2 under first-year coach Dallas Eakins, is believed to be accepting offers for veteran winger Ales Hemsky while also exploring the market for second-year winger Nail Yakupov, the first overall selection in the 2012 Entry Draft.

Even if interested in Hemsky, the Blueshirts would have to maneuver to get under the cap in order to accommodate the 30-year-old. Hemsky is on the final year of a contract worth a $5 million cap charge and is eligible for unrestricted free agency in July.

It is unclear whether the organization would have (or be willing to part with) the necessary assets to match Edmonton’s needs and acquire the extremely talented Yakupov, who led the Oilers with 17 goals a year ago, but has just one goal and two assists in 13 games after being scratched twice in the early season.

The emergence of Chris Kreider and return to the lineup of Carl Hagelin and Ryan Callahan have forestalled the immediate need to rush into a deal for a top-six winger, but general manager Glen Sather has been known to gamble on talent.

The Blueshirts are likely one of the few teams in the NHL apt to even consider trading for the skilled but finicky 20-year-old Russian, whom many in the industry believe is difficult to coach and liable to bolt for the KHL, an international league based in Russia.

The level of Rangers interest might be influenced by medical reports regarding Rick Nash, who has been sidelined since Oct. 8, when he sustained a concussion in San Jose on a first-period shot to the head from Sharks’ defenseman Brad Stuart.
    http://nypost.com/2013/11/04/rangers...henom-yakupov/

vCash
    It's a perfect script unfolding: Messier orchestrates major trade that fleeces Sather

This guy Yakupov is toxic, in my view.....stay away

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
    It's a perfect script unfolding: Messier orchestrates major trade that fleeces Sather

This guy Yakupov is toxic, in my view.....stay away
    Somehow I really don't see Sather getting "fleeced" in a trade besides, Messier publicly stated that he has no hard feeling towards the organization.

As far as Nail, who knows... Edmonton isn't exactly a hot spot and really the only thing Nail has going for him is that he was the 1st overall pick. Yeah he had a nice season last year but that's last year, and he has done absolutely nothing to raise his stock this year, quite the opposite actually.

Having said that, for the right price (MDZ + fillers & a pick or two) I would have no problem taking a chance on him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYY09 View Post
    Somehow I really don't see Sather getting "fleeced" in a trade besides, Messier publicly stated that he has no hard feeling towards the organization.

As far as Nail, who knows... Edmonton isn't exactly a hot spot and really the only thing Nail has going for him is that he was the 1st overall pick. Yeah he had a nice season last year but that's last year, and he has done absolutely nothing to raise his stock this year, quite the opposite actually.

Having said that, for the right price (MDZ + fillers & a pick or two) I would have no problem taking a chance on him.
    What is Messier supposed to say? yeah they suck i will show them? He is a professional he is going to always take the high road.

I rather they make no changes right now. them team is playing better and still getting use to a new system and a coach why make it worse

vCash
    I think Mess will be fine. Deep down he knows to be a head coach in the NHL you usually have to have some experience as a assistant coach in the NHL or a head coach at a high level elsewhere. The Oilers did not offer Mark their head coaching spot either. He has looked at Slats like a 2nd dad for 30 years.

Because we will not have a chance at a #1 overall pick I would be willing to make a nice package of players we may have redundancy for in the next 2 years when Dylan, Miller Lindberg, Kristo and Fast are NHL players.

vCash
    I'd assume they'd want McIlrath in the deal. Yak's been terrible this year but we know how much Glen likes former first overall picks.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang View Post
    I'd assume they'd want McIlrath in the deal. Yak's been terrible this year but we know how much Glen likes former first overall picks.
    The Oilers are virtually all raw talent with minimal veteran leadership; and a poor defense. I would anticipate Girardi being the primary focus for Edmonton.

It is a tall task to sign each of Hank, Cally and Girardi during their pending UFA seasons.

vCash
    I can understand the reservation on Yakupov, but Edmonton is not the greatest situation. With all the high picks and a high level of talent, they've done nothing, which I think shows that they could be somewhat dysfunctional as an organization.

I don't think the KHL thing is really huge concern. He coud have stayed in Russia as an amateur, yet choose to play junior in NA. While always possible, I think if hevwanted ovwr there he would have gone already.

They can't trade Krieder.

How about:

MDZ
    Miller
    1st Rd. pick

for

Yakupov
    3rd Rd. Pick

I would like to see them try and do this deal without a 1st rounder, but I don't think they can.

Intriguing deal. But can't move Krieder or McIlrath.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nyr1980 View Post
    I can understand the reservation on Yakupov, but Edmonton is not the greatest situation. With all the high picks and a high level of talent, they've done nothing, which I think shows that they could be somewhat dysfunctional as an organization.

I don't think the KHL thing is really huge concern. He coud have stayed in Russia as an amateur, yet choose to play junior in NA. While always possible, I think if hevwanted ovwr there he would have gone already.

They can't trade Krieder.

How about:

MDZ
    Miller
    1st Rd. pick

for

Yakupov
    3rd Rd. Pick

I would like to see them try and do this deal without a 1st rounder, but I don't think they can.

Intriguing deal. But can't move Krieder or McIlrath.
    I'd hate to lose Miller, a real heart and soul kinda guy. I know you have to give to get but I don't see Edm needing a Miller-type.

Having said that I really dont see how that package gets its done. Its logical that most people around here would want to include MDZ but Girardi would make more sense. Yes the Oilers need blue-line help but they also need some veteran presence and MDZ surely isn't that, nor is he the center-piece for a 1st overall pick (last years first overall pick with tons of team control mind you), maybe if the Rangers had no competition for Yak they could stuff MDZ down their throat but ya gotta believe there will be better offers than MDZ ++.

I think the better trade would be packaging Girardi and another minor league D-man and late round pick for Yak and mid-rounder. Something like:

Oilers get :

Girardi, Skjei/Allen , 5th/6th rounder

Rangers get:

Yakupov and 3rd/4th rounder.
    Last edited by NYY09; 11-05-2013 at 06:20 PM.

vCash
    Girardi/DZ + Miller + Dorsett/Pyatt + 1st for Yak and bottom pairing dman. Sign me up. Yakupov is the electric young game changer this franchise has lacked for years.

vCash
    I dont think there is a deal here I like really. We arent in a position to deal away defensemen, we finally have enough to ice a good 3 pair of d.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYY09 View Post
    I'd hate to lose Miller, a real heart and soul kinda guy. I know you have to give to get but I don't see Edm needing a Miller-type.

Having said that I really dont see how that package gets its done. Its logical that most people around here would want to include MDZ but Girardi would make more sense. Yes the Oilers need blue-line help but they also need some veteran presence and MDZ surely isn't that, nor is he the center-piece for a 1st overall pick (last years first overall pick with tons of team control mind you), maybe if the Rangers had no competition for Yak they could stuff MDZ down their throat but ya gotta believe there will be better offers than MDZ ++.

I think the better trade would be packaging Girardi and another minor league D-man and late round pick for Yak and mid-rounder. Something like:

Oilers get :

Girardi, Skjei/Allen , 5th/6th rounder

Rangers get:

Yakupov and 3rd/4th rounder.
    Not sure what gets it done. Just spiballing.

I dont see them dealing Kreider under any circumstances. I think the Nash deal is a good measuring stick. Rangers didn't give up an elite prospect there.

This could all be nothing though as Edmonton people could have been looking at Anaheim for a goalie.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nyr1980 View Post
    Not sure what gets it done. Just spiballing.

I dont see them dealing Kreider under any circumstances. I think the Nash deal is a good measuring stick. Rangers didn't give up an elite prospect there.

This could all be nothing though as Edmonton people could have been looking at Anaheim for a goalie.
    I agree with you on Kreider, he's not going anywhere and while you're right, the Rangers didn't give up an elite prospect (not sure they actually have an "elite" prospect outside of Kreider) for Nash they also had most of the leverage cuz of Nash's NTC.

The Anaheim thing, meh, outside of a few goalies do they have any high-end D-prospects? cuz the Oilers are a mess on the blue-line.

Could MDZ+Talbot+pick (possibly a filler) get it done for Yak?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bsi View Post
    I dont think there is a deal here I like really. We arent in a position to deal away defensemen, we finally have enough to ice a good 3 pair of d.
    So you wouldn't add a player like Yak because of a 3rd pairing D? I could understand the argument for Girardi but MDZ? Couldn't one of McIlrath/Allen/Falk be an acceptable downgrade to add someone who can you know, actually make rubber meet twine?

Personally, I'd drive MDZ to airport.

vCash
    Girardi has an expiring contract so unless he re-signs he doesn't have much value in a trade to Edmonton.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast