Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Official: Sox make qualifying offers to Drew, Ellsbury, and Napoli

Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington and manager John Farrell just met with reporters for 34 minutes. A few of the highlights:

• Qualifying offers of one year and $14.1 million have been extended to three free agents: shortstop Stephen Drew, center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury, and first baseman Mike Napoli. The players have a week to decide whether to take them.

The Red Sox would receive draft-pick compensation from any team that signs one of those players.

• The Red Sox, as expected, did not extend a qualifying offer to Jarrod Saltalamacchia, who made $4.5 million last season. But Cherington said they are interested in bringing all of their free agents back.
    Boston.com

vCash
    Mazz suggests a quid pro quo with Drew/uber agent. We gave them the $9.5M last year, and get back a pick from QO, but Drew won't take it.

We'll see. I would rather have him because:

1. If WMB has a killer spring, seizes the 3B job and actually turns into a .270/.325/.485 hitter, we can deal Drew - or I suppose sell high on WMB

2. If WMB can't get out of his own way, we use him as back-up 3B/1B, or in AAA, or a sell low deal when Cecchini gets here.

Seems like Drew for a year on balance makes more sense than not. He earned $16.9 FG WAR $ as the 7th best SS in the Majors - so bizarre that so many Sox fans dumped on him for not being Nomar circa 1999.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    I'd be feel fine going into next year with Drew back at SS and Xander at 3rd, in fact I kind of like the idea.

vCash
    I would rather keep Drew myself but it wouldn't break my heart if he ended up on either of the New York teams putting us in a nice position in the draft... and Ellsbury to Seattle perhaps? As if the farm wasn't deep already, we're going to be loaded after this winter.

This time last winter it was suppose to be the beginning of a miserable 3-4 year bridge to the future. Might as well throw in a World Series title on the way to that goal, no biggy.
    WTA's Next Rising Superstar

French Canadian Eugenie Bouchard

vCash
    I don't get why we didn't offer Salty a qualifier. Is the team really that uncertain that he'll receive a multi-year offer from another team? Guess that means his days here are over.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Norieaga View Post
    I don't get why we didn't offer Salty a qualifier. Is the team really that uncertain that he'll receive a multi-year offer from another team? Guess that means his days here are over.
    Thank GOD.

He fits the hitting philosophy of both the Yankees and Blue Jays... home run or bust. I pray he signs with one of them two and puts an even bigger kink in there pitching staff with his horrid game calling and reckless defence.

Nice guy otherwise!

vCash
    Too bad Salty did not play well enough down the stretch so we could milk a draft pick out of him. Oh well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Sox Fan View Post
    I would rather keep Drew myself but it wouldn't break my heart if he ended up on either of the New York teams putting us in a nice position in the draft... and Ellsbury to Seattle perhaps? As if the farm wasn't deep already, we're going to be loaded after this winter.

This time last winter it was suppose to be the beginning of a miserable 3-4 year bridge to the future. Might as well throw in a World Series title on the way to that goal, no biggy.
    Nobody here figured it was a 3-4 year bridge.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

vCash
    Loved having drew for a year but I think it's in the teams best interest that he walks and we get a pick.

vCash

You know that we don't actually get the signing team's draft picks now, right? We get sandwich picks from MLB regardless of who signs them.

Quote Originally Posted by Norieaga View Post
    Because if Salty were offered $14.1M for 2014 he'd take the deal. At best he earns $8M-9M per year on the open market and he'd out earn any multiyear deal by taking the QO and going back on the FA market next year.

Actually, the Sox ARE interested in retaining him, just not at the QO rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
    Loved having drew for a year but I think it's in the teams best interest that he walks and we get a pick.
    I'm more in Bags' camp. I'd be perfectly fine if he came back for ONE more year even if we overpaid for it. He'd give us a season to sort out the WMB riddle and ease the pressure on Xander to produce out of the gate. No big deal if he walks away, but not bad for the team if he takes it.

Heading into his age 31 season, my gut says that Boras is going for a 3yr deal (min) and he probably declines. He's in a position where he NEEDS to cash in. I guess that it's up to Boras to advise him whether his final line (and very public offensive disaster in the playoffs) is something to cash in on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Nobody here figured it was a 3-4 year bridge.
    I don't want to argue but it's exactly what you said last offseason, that we wouldn't be competitive until atleast 2015, making it a 3 year development stage. You even said the signings of Victorino, Napoli, Dempster etc, were all brought here to please the "pink hat" fans and put more people in the seats to help the ownership somewhat save face while the system developed.

Of course, no one planned on 2013 to go as well as it did.

vCash
    I don't want to argue but it's exactly what you said last offseason, that we wouldn't be competitive until atleast 2015, making it a 3 year development stage. You even said the signings of Victorino, Napoli, Dempster etc, were all brought here to please the "pink hat" fans and put more people in the seats to help the ownership somewhat save face while the system developed.

Of course, no one planned on 2013 to go as well as it did.
    Not quite. I said 2013 would be (at different times 82, 83, 84 wins), that 2014 would be high 80's, and 2015 would be mid 90's - so that's a 1 year bridge, a possible wild card 2nd year, and a probable division 1st place 3rd year - that's not a 3 or 4 year bridge.

I said a lot of things about the signings. I told people here that they would come to love Victorino if he was healthy, that I worried about 3/39 for Napoli but loved the deal they got. Dempster I was more luke on. I thought Gomes got too much $ as did Drew. Obviously missed the total impact of those guys, but, was generally more positive on the signings than most. i was also a staunch no trade Lester guy which was quite rare around here in July or so.

vCash
    According to Heyman a poll of GM's says Drew will get a high offer of about $38M for 3 years. He might skip $14.1M for that. Further the talk is Napoli 3/39 again, and Ells in the CC vicinity.

We all know Ells is gone, but it could actually be tough to replace Napoli AND Drew.

vCash
    I could see all of that happening and it makes the Sox' moves more difficult. I won't be crushed if Drew leaves but I do believe he needs to cash in now.

Same goes for Napoli (needing to cash in); any delay like accepting the QO and he runs the risk of his hip actually deteriorating and him losing out on millions. I don't know that it'll happen but I can see why he'd be very motivated to do it.

Ells for CC money? Even more reason to move on. I'll take an 85-win team in 2014 as Bogaerts/JBJr make the MLB transition to build an even better team in 2015.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxtober View Post
    I could see all of that happening and it makes the Sox' moves more difficult. I won't be crushed if Drew leaves but I do believe he needs to cash in now.

Same goes for Napoli (needing to cash in); any delay like accepting the QO and he runs the risk of his hip actually deteriorating and him losing out on millions. I don't know that it'll happen but I can see why he'd be very motivated to do it.

Ells for CC money? Even more reason to move on. I'll take an 85-win team in 2014 as Bogaerts/JBJr make the MLB transition to build an even better team in 2015.
    Right. Ells is fools gold.

The Sox/Napoli supposedly figured out how to keep his hip healthy. I'll take him at $14.1M, I'll also take him at 2 years for $30M, but I don't want 3 years for $39M (or more).

No way we hand Drew $38M/3 - and we'd have to go get a left side INF and pay a good portion of that $14.1M if Drew leaves. Chavez might be the best 3B to buy as long as we use him carefully. He might be able to teach WMB a few things too. The fact that we've demoted WMB may help convince Chavez that if he's healthy and outhitting WMB he could get 100 games at 3B. The SS options are ghastly. So it's Drew, the farm, or a one year deal for a Chavez. People who hate Drew ought to look at the pickings out there. Best for us is he takes the $14.1M, we deal WMB as part of a deal for Stanton and we bring in Chavez for a year.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast