Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 45
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    6,039
    vCash
    1500

    The Rookie Receivers!

    OK, here we are at the bye week, essentially the halfway point. Are the rookie WRs everything you expected? Did you expect different results? Are you happy with the results?

    They have 5 rookie receivers on the roster including the 3 guys on the 53, Aaron Dobson-2nd round, Josh Boyce-4th round, and Kenbrell Thompkins-UDFA. They also have a Reserve/Non-Football Injury player Mark Harrison-UDFA and Reserve/Injured player T.J. Moe UDFA. It remains to be seen what those 2 will bring.

    I read somewhere or heard somewhere (podcast maybe) that last week Josh Boyce was was a practice player of the week. I don’t know if that is a real award or a kiss of death.

    Also, as a pass catcher, I expect many of us had high hopes for Zach Sudfeld. Were we fooled?

    Overall, after early results, did they do a good job? Did the patriots bring the right guys in? Do you see the promise that you hoped for?


    Code:
    <PRE>                                                                                 
                                          Rece                                       
    No.                      Age Pos G GS  Rec Yds  Y/R TD Lng R/G  Y/G YScm RRTD Fmb
    17         Aaron  Dobson  22     8  5   31 454 14.6  4  81 3.9 56.8  454    4   1
    85    Kenbrell Thompkins  25  WR 8  7   23 334 14.5  4  49 2.9 41.8  334    4   0
    82           Josh  Boyce  22     4  1    1  24 24.0  0  24 0.3  6.0   24    0   0
    </PRE>

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,437
    vCash
    1500
    It sucks that we lost Sudfield to the Yets but while he was here he was a mess and way under what we expected from him. I think he would have been a solid developmental player who'd emerge in his late 2nd to early 3rd year

    Boyce has been what I thought.
    I think Boyce will be better next year

    Thompkins i had higher hopes for but that was based on preseason and I was foolish to use that as my judging criteria.

    Dobson, in his last game (steelers) showed what I expected of him. His increase snaps shows that he is growing in the O. My biggest question is can he build on that performance and become consistent?? If he does he'll meet my expectations, if he doesn't he'll fall short.

    This roster was built very well by BB my only complaint is with Dline and Oline. We need to address those positions ASAP.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Left
    Posts
    13,464
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by subroc View Post
    I read somewhere or heard somewhere (podcast maybe) that last week Josh Boyce was was a practice player of the week. I don’t know if that is a real award or a kiss of death.
    I read that too. Him and two other rookies were practice award winners and they got to wear a black jersey thing.
    T.J. Moe and Josh Boyce are going to be our Edelman replacements next year.

    When it comes to importance, if the rookies are behind Amendola, Gronk and Vereen I'm happy. If they are forced into playing a larger role, I'm unhappy.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    39,034
    vCash
    1500
    Dobson appears to be a real #2 WR
    Thompkins appears to be a real #4 WR/back-up slot
    Boyce could be a punt retuner/ST/ #5 WR

    If they end up like that, it was a very successful off season. Jets seem to like Sudfeld too - oh well..


    6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

    Some jerks never learn.....

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    connecticut
    Posts
    20,299
    vCash
    1500
    Thompkins is super raw but his ceiling is a number 2 imo

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    39,034
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by yankeefan54 View Post
    Thompkins is super raw but his ceiling is a number 2 imo
    He's not big enough or fast enough imo

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    connecticut
    Posts
    20,299
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    He's not big enough or fast enough imo
    My biggest issue though is his drops and constant double catches

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,534
    vCash
    1500

    The Rookie Receivers!

    Dobson gets open, thompkins doesnt, hence why dobson is playing and thompkins is not.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    2,886
    vCash
    1500
    They need to catch the ball more often, but for rookies they are doing alright.
    Eat Lobster

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,391
    vCash
    1000
    Hopefully they all continue to get better especially Dobson. He needs to get that back shoulder catch down. Looks like hes getting better and the learning curve could be exponential.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    30,620
    vCash
    1500
    Thompson has only caught 41% of his targeted passes which is downright terrible. Dobson has been a little bit better at 53% but both are below average. Part of the reason is Brady, and chemistry but I'm sure quite a few are drops too

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    6,039
    vCash
    1500
    When I look at Dobson I see a player that has steadily and continuously improved. It appears to be a week-to-week improvement culminating in that terrific performance from this week. Here is his game log.The eye test also tells us that he is getting on the same page with the QB. As part of the offense he is fitting in nicely. I expect a #2 is what he could be characterized as, as bagwell368 said in a previous post. This guy could "easily" end up with a 1000 yard/60 catch season! This may be a draft selection that they got right.

    Code:
    <PRE>                                                                         
                                                   Rece              Scor    
    Rk   Year G       Date    Age  Tm  Opp  Result  Rec Yds   Y/R TD   TD Pts
    1    2013 2 2013-09-12 22-051 NWE  NYJ W 13-10    3  56 18.67  1    1   6
    2    2013 3 2013-09-22 22-061 NWE  TAM  W 23-3    7  52  7.43  0    0   0
    3    2013 4 2013-09-29 22-068 NWE  ATL W 30-23    1  10 10.00  0    0   0
    4    2013 5 2013-10-06 22-075 NWE  CIN  L 6-13    2  49 24.50  0    0   0
    5    2013 6 2013-10-13 22-082 NWE  NOR W 30-27    6  63 10.50  0    0   0
    6    2013 7 2013-10-20 22-089 NWE  NYJ L 27-30    3  34 11.33  0    0   0
    7    2013 8 2013-10-27 22-096 NWE  MIA W 27-17    4  60 15.00  1    1   6
    8    2013 9 2013-11-03 22-103 NWE  PIT W 55-31    5 130 26.00  2    2  12
                   8 Games                           31 454 14.65  4    4  24
    </PRE>

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,534
    vCash
    1500

    The Rookie Receivers!

    I have been saying it since the preseason, he is best rookie receiver, he can catch, just look at his college career, he never dropped passes in college. i believe his drop problem this year is just due to chemistry with Brady and that he is still learning the very complicated system we run on offense. He has shown improvement, he has shown all year he can get open, and now he is starting to realize what brady is looking for, there will still be communication issues with brady but the education he us getting will pay dividends as the year goes.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    39,034
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by subroc View Post
    When I look at Dobson I see a player that has steadily and continuously improved. It appears to be a week-to-week improvement culminating in that terrific performance from this week. Here is his game log.The eye test also tells us that he is getting on the same page with the QB. As part of the offense he is fitting in nicely. I expect a #2 is what he could be characterized as, as bagwell368 said in a previous post. This guy could "easily" end up with a 1000 yard/60 catch season! This may be a draft selection that they got right.

    Code:
    <PRE>                                                                         
                                                   Rece              Scor    
    Rk   Year G       Date    Age  Tm  Opp  Result  Rec Yds   Y/R TD   TD Pts
    1    2013 2 2013-09-12 22-051 NWE  NYJ W 13-10    3  56 18.67  1    1   6
    2    2013 3 2013-09-22 22-061 NWE  TAM  W 23-3    7  52  7.43  0    0   0
    3    2013 4 2013-09-29 22-068 NWE  ATL W 30-23    1  10 10.00  0    0   0
    4    2013 5 2013-10-06 22-075 NWE  CIN  L 6-13    2  49 24.50  0    0   0
    5    2013 6 2013-10-13 22-082 NWE  NOR W 30-27    6  63 10.50  0    0   0
    6    2013 7 2013-10-20 22-089 NWE  NYJ L 27-30    3  34 11.33  0    0   0
    7    2013 8 2013-10-27 22-096 NWE  MIA W 27-17    4  60 15.00  1    1   6
    8    2013 9 2013-11-03 22-103 NWE  PIT W 55-31    5 130 26.00  2    2  12
                   8 Games                           31 454 14.65  4    4  24
    </PRE>
    Over the next 3 season, I expect Dobson to post a 80 for 1175 yds and 8 TD season, maybe two.


    6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

    Some jerks never learn.....

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    RI
    Posts
    14,857
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportfan View Post
    Thompson has only caught 41% of his targeted passes which is downright terrible. Dobson has been a little bit better at 53% but both are below average. Part of the reason is Brady, and chemistry but I'm sure quite a few are drops too
    No question there have been a ton of drops (I mean Dobson was like 2nd in drop rate and Thompkins is also top 10 or something like that) but I think the key is to look at how they're progressing each week. Both are rookies so they aren't gonna come in and be ball busters. I think at this point, it's clear Thompkins isn't going to have a big role unless someone gets injured. Dobson is getting looks even with a full compliment of receivers and more importantly, he is getting open and developing chemistry with Brady. If his development continues at this exponential rate, he could be a key guy for us in the playoffs. As is, over the last few weeks, he seems to be getting more looks than Edelman.
    Patriots Forum HOF Class of 2011

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •