Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Boston had an offer on the table that would have sent Jon Lester for Wil Myers

Boston had an offer on the table from the Royals that would have sent Jon Lester to KC in exchange for Wil Myers, reports the Boston Herald's Scott Lauber. When the Sox asked for time to think, Kansas City instead used Myers to bring back James Shields from the Rays. Lauber says that the Red Sox are lucky not to have acted on that tempting trade offer, arguing that Lester has turned into an "undisputed ace." While there is no question that Lester played a critical role in the team's World Series run, that characterization might be subject to some debate -- Lester was tied with Jhoulys Chacin for 16th in fWAR among qualified starters this year, but ranked 52nd in ERA and 41st in FIP.
    I believe you make that trade 10/10 times if your Boston had they lost the World Series. (Assuming lesser prospects are included or if its a straight up deal)

Wil Myers batted .293 with 13 HR, 53RBI, and .354 OBP for the Tampa Bay Rays and is 22 years old. Would have been a great heir to Jacoby Ellsbury if/when he leaves via Free Agency.

Pretty interesting stuff.

Thoughts?

I still believe KC could've gotten a better offer than a 31 year old James Shields! But you know how prospects are never guaranteed to pan out and they were desperate for an Ace.

Source- MLBTR

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/1...n-feldman.html
    Last edited by xabial; 11-03-2013 at 09:26 PM.

vCash
    I think I'll take the guy with the 2rings and ace status

vCash
    Boston is lucky they did not take it. Without Lester they don't win the WS.

Myers should be a star and will be cheap, obviously can't go wrong having him for at least the next 6 years.

I don't know if I am in the minority saying I have no clue what KC is doing? Lester is not close to putting them over the top..

vCash
    You always take the World Series over any player no matter how good they might be.

vCash
    Lol Red Sox, could have saved even more money and they chose not to. Dummies.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lackeyfan41 View Post
    Boston is lucky they did not take it. Without Lester they don't win the WS.

Myers should be a star and will be cheap, obviously can't go wrong having him for at least the next 6 years.

I don't know if I am in the minority saying I have no clue what KC is doing? Lester is not close to putting them over the top..
    For some reason their GM was very desperate to trade for an "Ace". I don't know what Myers prospect ranking was at the time or if he was even drafted but they should have traded him for someone like Matt Latos (25 years old), Gio Gonzalez. (27 years old at time of trade) Not a 31 year old (turning 32 next month) James shields. Wil Myers gave them leverage because of the hype, No.4 status.

Should have took the gamble and let him play in the majors/minors if it mean't the best offer available was a 31 year old James Shields. They should've waited. Nothing against shields, and I'm not saying that he is not an Ace but at his age he's unlikely to continue to be an "Ace" for long and he's going to be a FA after next season which means they only received one and a half year of control of James Shields.

I tip my hat of to the Tampa Bay Rays and I really wish the Yankees would offer the moon for their scouts/GM Andrew Friedman for competing with such a low payroll, and knowing when to trade players for elite prospects;

forget about the team friendly extensions that almost always work in their favors. (giving Matt Moore five years $14m, he's probably the best contract in baseball, the best contract in baseball before Moore was ..surprise surprise Evan longoria's 6 year $17.5m deal).
    Last edited by xabial; 11-03-2013 at 09:35 PM.

7. 11-03-2013, 09:21 PM
    Reason
    Response to a deleted post

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnightbottle View Post
    You always take the World Series over any player no matter how good they might be.
    Gospel

vCash
    Flags fly forever, can't imagine a Boston fan dwelling on this. Interesting to think about though, their whole offseason changes if that had happened.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009mvp View Post
    Flags fly forever, can't imagine a Boston fan dwelling on this. Interesting to think about though, their whole offseason changes if that had happened.
    Forget about Flags flying forever.

A better way to look at it is nobody knows the future. It can take you forever to even win one. (Red Sox's 86 year old drought before it was broken in 04') (and the Cubs 100+ year old curse)

I'm not picking on the Red Sox. It can happen to ANY TEAM.

On a more optimistic note you can also win dynasties.
    Last edited by xabial; 11-03-2013 at 09:39 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicBucsSox View Post
    Lmaoooo they saved 250mil the season before, then won a title a yr later........you done?

Not to mention they can spend what and how much at will(no pun)
    Myers gives them a chance to win 6 titles. One for each pre-FA year they get. Duh. Science.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicBucsSox View Post
    Lmaoooo they saved 250mil the season before, then won a title a yr later........you done?

Not to mention they can spend what and how much at will(no pun)
    Sarcasm.

Shailene Woodley

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Myers gives them a chance to win 6 titles. One for each pre-FA year they get. Duh. Science.
    not if he plays like he did in this postseason.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnightbottle View Post
    not if he plays like he did in this postseason.
    OTOH, ESPECIALLY if he sucks in his pre-arb price years keeping his arb year prices down! Imagine the possibilities for 2016 if they were just willing to have a lower 2013 payroll.

vCash
    If I were a red Sox fan I wouldn't lament over this at all.
    Last edited by Mell413; 11-04-2013 at 05:34 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Lol Red Sox, could have saved even more money and they chose not to. Dummies.
    LMAO listen to you go! Judging by the maturity in your comment, it leads me to believe that you hunt sasquatches by day and ghost hunt at night.

I take Lester & the 2013 World Series ring 100 times out of 100. Plus there's a ready to go stud CF prospect in Jackie Bradley Jr. waiting in the minors to replace Ellsbury in 2014. Not to mention Lester probably gets extended for 6 more years in the near future.

Bradley Jr. & Lester > Will Myers

If your not playing the game to win championships, what the hell's the point of playing the game at all.
    WTA's Next Rising Superstar

French Canadian Eugenie Bouchard

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast