Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Tigers to hire Ausmus as manager

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 15s
    Source: #Tigers to hire Ausmus as manager. First reported @AdamSpolane.

vCash
    I liked him a lot when the Red Sox interviewed him last year. Very different than Leyland, I believe he is very new school.

vCash
    i like asumus in general so i say good move. i think he will add an awesome demeanor to that locker room

vCash
    Dave Dombrowski is taking a bit of a chance hiring someone with no managerial experience, but I remember Ausmus well from his earlier stints with the Tigers, and my gut tells me he'll do a good job. He just drips intelligence.

If I had any concern, it's whether if a first-year manager will be able to command the respect of all the superstar egos in the locker room -- which was Leyland's biggest asset. But I think it'll work out just fine.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Victory Faust View Post
    Dave Dombrowski is taking a bit of a chance hiring someone with no managerial experience, but I remember Ausmus well from his earlier stints with the Tigers, and my gut tells me he'll do a good job. He just drips intelligence.

If I had any concern, it's whether if a first-year manager will be able to command the respect of all the superstar egos in the locker room -- which was Leyland's biggest asset. But I think it'll work out just fine.
    I think of all the players out there that can command that respect having not managed before, it's guys like Ausmus and Matheny.

I think Ausmus is a good choice, but I am a bit surprised the Tigers chose him. I thought McClendon or someone really old school was going to step in. Ausmus should lead them right back to the playoffs (of course, that roster sure helps )

vCash
    Ausmus is both new school, and very strict in his thinking. Sea change in Detroit.

I'd like to be a fly on the wall when Ausmus confronts Fielder about being OK with being a fat lazy slob... I have to say in my almost 50 years of watching the MLB I can't remember a starter in a playoff series extending himself less than that titanic flop.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Ausmus is both new school, and very strict in his thinking. Sea change in Detroit.

I'd like to be a fly on the wall when Ausmus confronts Fielder about being OK with being a fat lazy slob... I have to say in my almost 50 years of watching the MLB I can't remember a starter in a playoff series extending himself less than that titanic flop.
    I think the biggest issue with Fielder will be his starting streak. Leyland always ran him out in deference to his streak even when he was struggling or better defense was needed. I also wonder what Ausmus' thoughts about Miggy as a 3B will be going forward. This should be Cabrera's last year as a 3B.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GasMan View Post
    I think the biggest issue with Fielder will be his starting streak. Leyland always ran him out in deference to his streak even when he was struggling or better defense was needed. I also wonder what Ausmus' thoughts about Miggy as a 3B will be going forward. This should be Cabrera's last year as a 3B.
    Cabrera is way too valuable to play at 3B, that's the position responsible for more career ruining injuries than any other excepting catcher.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Show me evidence that Ausmus is "new school." He's young, but there's nothing to indicate what his managerial philosophy is. He just might love the bunt for all we know. There's no body of work to draw from.

Or you could just say the guy had a terrible slump, and stop speculating what his mindset was, or how hard he was trying.

Many fans wanted him to be more demonstrative about his massive slump, but Prince Fielder is the exact same whether he's 0-15 or had just hit a pair of homers. He'll shrug and give monotone answers to the media afterward.
    Last edited by Victory Faust; 11-03-2013 at 01:19 PM.

vCash

I would like to know how someone who is "fat and lazy" in your opinion has only missed 13 games in his 8 year career???

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    I think of all the players out there that can command that respect having not managed before, it's guys like Ausmus and Matheny.

I think Ausmus is a good choice, but I am a bit surprised the Tigers chose him. I thought McClendon or someone really old school was going to step in. Ausmus should lead them right back to the playoffs (of course, that roster sure helps )

Yeah, from what I've seen, he shouldn't have any problems commanding respect. I'm glad it wasn't Lloyd. And I'm really, really glad it wasn't a retread like Dusty Baker. I could just see owner Mike Ilitch, who likes to collect "names," pushing for Dusty. Thank goodness that didn't happen.

It's big a gamble by Dombrowski, though, since Ausmus has never managed at any level other than that one WBC season. Navigating a rigorous 162 game season must entail dozens of situations you can't study for beforehand, but are forced to handle when they crop up.

But I trust Dombrowski's judgment. And Ausmus has always seemed like a classy, intelligent guy, so I'm happy with the deal.

vCash

I like this pick despite being mildly surprised by it. I hope there is some change on a number of fronts. Yes...the Tigers have had more success over the last 10 years than all but a handful of teams (Giants, Cards, sox, etc). However, I think that their current makeup will only get them to "bridesmaid but never a bride" status. I am excited to see what Ausmus brings to the table and a minor house cleaning (Coke, Kelly, Santiago, and other Leyland favorites).

Lets face it....young former players with limited experience are the rage (expect Lovullo and Dave Martinez to join the ranks soon) and have proven they can take over a veteran team with success.

And I hope he does get after Fielder about conditioning. I also hope this is Cabrera's last year at 3B for his sake. I am thrilled that they didn't opt for the retread/old guard picks (McClendon, Dusty, etc).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GasMan View Post
    Yeah i'd say it probably will be. This is V-Marts last season under contract right? So that spot should open up after the year.
    2013 Adopt-A-Lion: Nick Fairley

vCash
    Assuming this Ausmus pick is official, I am interested to see who would be on his staff. I am sure there will be some vets on the staff as well as a "heavy" to help with potential personality conflicts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mark1125 View Post
    Assuming this Ausmus pick is official, I am interested to see who would be on his staff. I am sure there will be some vets on the staff as well as a "heavy" to help with potential personality conflicts.
    I think it was already reported that both Jeff Jones and Gene Lamont would be staying with the Tigers.
    2013 Adopt-A-Lion: Nick Fairley

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast