Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nabokov...

vCash

Nabokov...

Am I the only one that thinks this team is a descent goaltender away from great expectations...?
    I mean, come on Garth, havn't you seen enough already? With all these one goal games the Isles are playing, imagine if we had a legit goalkeeper...
    With PMB finally showing some results, our line-up is looking real good!
    I would really like to see Strome up here on the 3rd line though...

Vanek-Tavares-Okposo
    Bouchard-Nielsen-Bailey
    Nelson-Strome-Grabner
    Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck

That would be my starting line-up...As for the defense, we can easily take care of that once we have someone who does'nt allow 4-5 goals per game. Ellerby, could be a fit. Or else, maybe Campbell from Florida...But we really need a goalie in a bad way...!

Isles-fan

vCash
    i still don't think naby is the problem.

my main issue with the team is:
    Andrew MacDonald-Travis Hamonic
    Thomas Hickey-Matt Carkner
    Matt Donovan-Radek Martinek

that d line up in front of any goalie isn't going to help things at all. need to upgrade this first (especially carkner, he's just been awful)

another problem is okposo on the first line. KO's decision making in the offensive zone has been less than stellar. he passes when he needs to take the shot, and shoots when he needed to pass way too often.

vCash
    Tsunami, come on man. Just look at the 4 goals last night...All freakin shaky goals. Even Potvin on Sportsnet admitted he knew McCarthure was going for the wrap around and still Nabby's late covering the play... Oh yeah, I guess it was the defences fault for that 2nd goal as well...!! The defence has no confidence in Nabby and that does'nt help...Plain and simple.

Isles_fan

vCash
    Yes, naby played poorly last night. I wasn't happy with the 2nd goal in particular. Could the isles benefit from an upgrade in net? - absolutely.

However, I believe the biggest problem is the defensive play. Too many opponent chances are happening because someone on the isles is out of position, or not checking their man around the crease.

vCash
    2 of the goals he let in were shaky.

Nabakov isn't that bad, he is playing with one of the worst defenses in the league in front of him. Poulin is bad, we need to sign Bryz and defense if we want to make a run and so far I have seen/heard nothing as of late about Garth trying to improve the team in that aspect.

11.5M in cap, 2nd lowest spending and they can't get a goalie and some defense... Really breaks my heart because we can score goals fine defense is just awful....

vCash
    The islanders defense turns it over at the point and lets the other team skate in and score. We need a hard nosed defensemen like Phaneuf, Hedman, Volchenkov that will punish them with the body

vCash
    How was the Senators defence last night giving the Isles 57 shots... and very good scoring chances...? Oh yeah, and who was the 2nd star of the game...? Lehner, there goalie! No matter what you guys can think and say, Nabokov is old and very shaky at best in goal. His positionning stinks and he has no rebound control what so ever. Even with a bad defence, the goalie can still come up big, which Nabby rarely does... With Miller in net yesterday, we don't give up 4 goals, and most important, we don't give a point away to the Sens...

Isles_fan...

vCash
    I don't think Nabby alone is the problem, but I DO think he's part of it and improving the goalie would immediately make this team better and a strong playoff team. Blue line help needed as well though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsnQueens7 View Post
    11.5M in cap, 2nd lowest spending and they can't get a goalie and some defense... Really breaks my heart because we can score goals fine defense is just awful....
    This drives me insane. How could they not pay for some D and goalie help.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    That's what I am saying man. We know we have an elite offense they are top 10 in the league in GF. Defense is what is holding us back, the dumb plays and turnovers they are lost and it doesn't even look like they have a clue what is going on. Can't blame that on Nabby or Poulin when they are getting screened and we have no tough guys.

Very disappointed in Hamonic, he has regressed heavily the last 2 seasons.

vCash
    Even if you think Nabokov is better than he looks, the Islanders would still need goalie help because, at 38, they can't have him carry the kind of load that they did last year. Last year, if I'm not mistaken, he started the highest % of his team's games among all NHL goalies. Obviously that was not good for us.
    Sandy Alderson says Mets' 2014 payroll will be more than $87 million
    (11/19/2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    Payroll is $85 million this year. It was $85 million last year.
    (05/27/14)

I don't think we're that far away.
    (6 games under .500 before June. Not that far away from what?)

vCash
    Yeah, and I don't hate the Vanek trade but if you're going to move Moulson and some draft picks why not do it for defense or goaltending instead? We would have scored enough goals even without Moulson. It's the other side that's got problems.
    Sandy Alderson says Mets' 2014 payroll will be more than $87 million
    (11/19/2013)

Payroll is $85 million this year. It was $85 million last year.
    (05/27/14)

I don't think we're that far away.
    (6 games under .500 before June. Not that far away from what?)

vCash
    ^ We don't have the pieces now to acquire a decent goaltender because Garth gave Buffalo a 1st and 2nd round pick. But nice rebound night for Poulin.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsnQueens7 View Post
    ^ We don't have the pieces now to acquire a decent goaltender because Garth gave Buffalo a 1st and 2nd round pick. But nice rebound night for Poulin.
    2nd was 2015 right? So he could give a 2014 2nd and a 2015 1st in deal.......and have NO first and second round picks for 2 years. :sigh;

vCash
    2nd was 2015 right? So he could give a 2014 2nd and a 2015 1st in deal.......and have NO first and second round picks for 2 years. :sigh;
    The way Poulin played last night we may have something, Boston is a tough team and they were pounding him.

Our goal tenders live and die by the defense this year I'm afraid...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast