Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Pep spent the bye week figuring out how to use Trent Richardson

"I have to do a better job of finding ways to get Trent out in space," Hamilton said. "I have to do a better job coming up with schemes that not only give our offensive line a chance to be successful, but of course create holes for Trent and create schemes that compliment his wealth of talent. That's one of the things that we spent time as an offensive staff looking at during the bye week."
    http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis...ll-minus-wayne

Really looking forward to the game now.

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    http://imgur.com/a/4UK1e <---- BEST 10-15 SECONDS EVER

vCash
    I would have been happier if he said that he spent time learning how to coach or watching highlights from Oregon.

vCash
    Hopefully Grigson was spending his time looking for an oc. I just think pep is having trouble adjusting to the NFL. With TR's potential it really shouldn't be too hard to figure out how to get a lot more from him. The passing game was, and still could be post Wayne, a real threat and even though the run is supposed to open the pass we all know the pass opens the run as well, at least somewhat. TR can also be a pass threat and do a lot of damage if he gets in an open field. If Pep doesn't get something going with Wayne out he could find himself on the hot seat.

vCash
    You guys can criticize pep (and he deserves it) but it's interesting that he's viewed around the league as one of the best up and coming coaches.

I think we should play it out this year with Pep. I mean he has had to adjust on the fly this year with all of these injuries. Plus, I'd rather he stay at the end of the year than move on because I don't want Luck to have 3 different coordinators in 3 years. I'd like Pep to be here long term, and hopefully he can adjust to NFL.

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck

vCash
    At least he is trying to make adjustment in a problem area....I hope they work?
    If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants5518 View Post
    You guys can criticize pep (and he deserves it) but it's interesting that he's viewed around the league as one of the best up and coming coaches.

I think we should play it out this year with Pep. I mean he has had to adjust on the fly this year with all of these injuries. Plus, I'd rather he stay at the end of the year than move on because I don't want Luck to have 3 different coordinators in 3 years. I'd like Pep to be here long term, and hopefully he can adjust to NFL.
    Luck has won in spite of Pep this year. Yes I will say his play calling was great against San Fran. Against Seattle and Denver, they abandoned his style and let Luck be Luck. I think a mix of Arians and Pep is exactly what he needs but this straight forward running is not cutting it. I think we need to go to more of a spread like Notre Dame runs. They spread the field with a mix of receivers and tight ends and are able to straight forward run when they need to plus almost half their runs are out of the shotgun. Luck needs an O like this, not where his hands are cuffed the whole time.

vCash
    Not to disagree, but can we get a source on that? Because the only comments I've seen on Hamilton have referred to him as stubborn and unwilling to let go of an outdated power run type offensive game plan. I've seen nothing that praises him.

I'm hoping the problem is Hamilton and not Pagano. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that it's Pagano clinging to his Baltimore roots just like that idiot Rex Ryan and the old Baltimore "ground and pound" philosophy that went out of style 12 years ago.

vCash

I bash Pep's predictable play calling and utilization of certain players. I think he just either is poor at coming up with game plans or scripts way too much and doesn't go away from the script until the half. Other than that I like the guy. I think he (I know having Luck helps a lot) is really good at making halftime adjustments, I really like his offense, but not so much how it is called....mostly in the first half.

I've said this multiple times in multiple threads: If he calls a first quarter 1st down PA deep (especially out of a running formation) suddenly defenses start backing off and the secondary hesitates against the run. He gives TRich one draw play against a 6-7 man front and we get to watch a Safety try to tackle him and he gets rumbling. It just seems like he has a plan for everyone and even if it isn't working he is going to use that plan until half time.

I just hope while figuring out TRich and watching film he noticed that when we go into a power formation the D doesn't respect the pass at all....and the same goes for the passing formations and running the ball (hence DB31s huge YPC from those plays) Hopefully we are just seeing growing pains from going to the NFL and not general stubbornness and/or arrogance. I like the throwback power and balanced offense....I just don't like it at all costs. If it isn't working try something else and you can always go back to it in a better situation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by matthollabak View Post
    I bash Pep's predictable play calling and utilization of certain players. I think he just either is poor at coming up with game plans or scripts way too much and doesn't go away from the script until the half. Other than that I like the guy. I think he (I know having Luck helps a lot) is really good at making halftime adjustments, I really like his offense, but not so much how it is called....mostly in the first half.

I've said this multiple times in multiple threads: If he calls a first quarter 1st down PA deep (especially out of a running formation) suddenly defenses start backing off and the secondary hesitates against the run. He gives TRich one draw play against a 6-7 man front and we get to watch a Safety try to tackle him and he gets rumbling. It just seems like he has a plan for everyone and even if it isn't working he is going to use that plan until half time.

I just hope while figuring out TRich and watching film he noticed that when we go into a power formation the D doesn't respect the pass at all....and the same goes for the passing formations and running the ball (hence DB31s huge YPC from those plays) Hopefully we are just seeing growing pains from going to the NFL and not general stubbornness and/or arrogance. I like the throwback power and balanced offense....I just don't like it at all costs. If it isn't working try something else and you can always go back to it in a better situation.
    Exactly! use the formation as a ruse with play action and send TY over the top....then next time use the draw play. It really is simple and keeps the defense guessing, hopefully Pep has been working on this?
    If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVicster View Post
    Not to disagree, but can we get a source on that? Because the only comments I've seen on Hamilton have referred to him as stubborn and unwilling to let go of an outdated power run type offensive game plan. I've seen nothing that praises him.

I'm hoping the problem is Hamilton and not Pagano. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that it's Pagano clinging to his Baltimore roots just like that idiot Rex Ryan and the old Baltimore "ground and pound" philosophy that went out of style 12 years ago.
    I guess I should have clarified that most of the comments came before the season started. I can post those if you want.

<3

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by matthollabak View Post

Yep. His formations tip off the play call, but one non-predictable play call out of a particular formation would open everything up. It's basic stuff. We were supposed to be seeing a lot of playaction with Richardson, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

<3

vCash
    I guess I should have clarified that most of the comments came before the season started. I can post those if you want.
    No, fair enough. I think we all had high hopes in the beginning, but I've been saying it since the second or third game.......It just seems like Hamilton is in over his head. I hope I'm wrong, but he just seems to lack ingenuity/creativity. Maybe having Tom Moore for all those years spoiled me, IDK.

I think it was the San Diego game when the first play from scrimmage was the flea flicker to Reggie IIRC? That one play just an out of the blue punch to the mouth really gave me high hopes that Hamilton had seen the light and would stop being so damn predictable. Alas.....as we saw from the rest of that game it was just a mirage....

vCash
    would he still be considered one of the best up and comers if he was the oc for the jaguars? I think the talent on this offense can make any oc look better than he is. I do hope it works out and like any new guy he just needs some time. I just cant get over the SD loss [Miami either] and I wasn't impressed w/ some of the calls.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVicster View Post
    No, fair enough. I think we all had high hopes in the beginning, but I've been saying it since the second or third game.......It just seems like Hamilton is in over his head. I hope I'm wrong, but he just seems to lack ingenuity/creativity. Maybe having Tom Moore for all those years spoiled me, IDK.

I think it was the San Diego game when the first play from scrimmage was the flea flicker to Reggie IIRC? That one play just an out of the blue punch to the mouth really gave me high hopes that Hamilton had seen the light and would stop being so damn predictable. Alas.....as we saw from the rest of that game it was just a mirage....
    Lets say Hamilton's vanilla play calling doesnt change. Would you want him gone knowing that Luck would be on his 3rd OC in 3 years? I think continuity is really important.

<3

vCash
    Lets say Hamilton's vanilla play calling doesnt change. Would you want him gone knowing that Luck would be on his 3rd OC in 3 years? I think continuity is really important.
    the question becomes is Hamilton helping Luck or hurting him? IMHO when Hamilton so frequently handcuffs Luck and takes the ball outmof his hands he's hindering his development. So I guess yes, I'd rather see him go because I think bringing in a third OC would be the lesser of two evils if that makes any sense to you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast