Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Jays pick up options on Lind/DeRosa/Janssen, Decline Kawasaki's option

Vic Mackey: You better figure out how much you hate me. And how you're going to deal with that. 'Cause I'm not going anywhere.

This sums up every sports interview, ever.

vCash
    Dersoa??? really why??

props to vick27m

"Art was my first major in college but it was too hard, so I majored in math"
    Ron Artest

Sydney, Australia but born in Exhibition Stadium
    vCash
    I hope Lind doesn't get too upset when we trade him.
    Hey! It'S JoeyBatS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bomber0104 View Post
    Dersoa??? really why??
    Why not? It was for 750 k and he's a good bench player. You got a better option?

vCash
    DeRosa isn't a bad signing at this point. His wrist is healed and he can hit LHP. You're going to need a platoon partner for someone in the IF, either at 2B or for Lind so DeRosa is fine for that spot.

I hope they re-sign Kawasaki. I don't know what the plan is for 2B but if they're not making a significant upgrade they might have been better off with a Kawasaki/DeRosa platoon.

Vic Mackey: You better figure out how much you hate me. And how you're going to deal with that. 'Cause I'm not going anywhere.

This sums up every sports interview, ever.

vCash
    Derosa is one of those "guys" you want on your bench. And I agree with you that a Kawasaki/Derosa/Goins at 2nd is as good as Beckham will give us and we don't have to give them anything.

On late, but did I see something that Kawasaki was going back to Japan for 2m? Which if true makes this moot?

vCash
    So i see on bluejays.com "RHP JOSH JOHNSON and RHP RAMON ORTIZ were reinstated from the 60-day disabled list and are now free agents"

So what does this mean for JJ option? did they decline it? are they still deciding?

“Just gobble, gobble, gobble, turkey from jive turkey gobblers”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wagnall View Post
    Derosa is one of those "guys" you want on your bench. And I agree with you that a Kawasaki/Derosa/Goins at 2nd is as good as Beckham will give us and we don't have to give them anything.

On late, but did I see something that Kawasaki was going back to Japan for 2m? Which if true makes this moot?
    I agree its not a bad platoon and great price as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by miller74 View Post
    So i see on bluejays.com "RHP JOSH JOHNSON and RHP RAMON ORTIZ were reinstated from the 60-day disabled list and are now free agents"

So what does this mean for JJ option? did they decline it? are they still deciding?
    There is no option to decline. They still have 4 more days to extend a qualifying offer though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009mvp View Post
    There is no option to decline. They still have 4 more days to extend a qualifying offer though.
    Ohhh right gotcha, thanks.

vCash
    So Wilner tweets that Kawasaki does not have any deal waiting in Japan so unless there's some big demand for him out there, see him back but I guess for less than the option of 1m.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wagnall View Post
    So Wilner tweets that Kawasaki does not have any deal waiting in Japan so unless there's some big demand for him out there, see him back but I guess for less than the option of 1m.
    This is the one that really makes me mad more than anything else.

We're talking about going to TRADE for Gordon ****ing Beckham, why not just let Kawasaki have a shot? At least he's adequate, wouldn't cost us anything in terms of prospects and very likely will give you just as good of production....

And we declined to keep him for a measly 1 million? Jesus Alex.... give your head a shake. It's fine if you want to decline the option and go get a real nice 2B player, who that is, I have no clue... but why are you trading assets for Beckham and then letting Kawasaki walk for 1 mil when that's peanuts really.... not like that's going to impact any free agent signings.

I dunno - seems ridiculous to me.

Had to be done! Go T-Rex

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Billyen View Post
    I hope Lind doesn't get too upset when we trade him.
    God I hope we trade his sorry ***

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StayOnBoard View Post

We're talking about going to TRADE for Gordon ****ing Beckham, why not just let Kawasaki have a shot? At least he's adequate, wouldn't cost us anything in terms of prospects and very likely will give you just as good of production....

And we declined to keep him for a measly 1 million? Jesus Alex.... give your head a shake. It's fine if you want to decline the option and go get a real nice 2B player, who that is, I have no clue... but why are you trading assets for Beckham and then letting Kawasaki walk for 1 mil when that's peanuts really.... not like that's going to impact any free agent signings.

If he resigns Kawasaki to half that price which is a definite possibility, then it's a smart move. Why spend more than you have to? Even if it's just 500k

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StayOnBoard View Post

I'm not sure why everyone is so bent out of shape about the Gordon Beckham thing. "What is he thinking?" "Why would he want to do that?" "Why would he consider offering him so much?"

It's a rumor, and a very unsubstantiated one at that. There is a very good chance he is not thinking that and considering nothing of the sort, and because some old rumor has leaked every one is tar and feathering him. Please don't take this as an AA cheer-leading rant...he has done many things that people are right to be critical about. This phantom rumor just isn't one of em, at least not at this point.

As for the options, I think they were all no-brainers. Janssen and Lind most won't argue with. At this point last year I was very critical of the DeRosa signing as the 25th man, but was proven wrong. As a bench bat/fill-in he did an admirable job (Although injuries did force us in to playing him too much). His extremely reasonable salary, his past season's performance and his reported clubhouse stature make this a very easy choice. Hopefully he doesn't choose to retire.

As for Kawasaki, I'm betting he resigns with us on a minor league contract. This frees up 40 man spot, and perhaps a tiny amount of cash. He holds more value to us (Well the fans here anyway), than any other team would see, so it's not like teams will be beating down his doors to sign him way from us.

I like Kawasaki as much as the next guy, and he did bring some nice moments in an otherwise miserable season, but if he is in the mix for the job at 2nd during spring training, then AA will have done something very much worth criticizing. He's fine as minor league depth though, just as he was last year to start the season.

Just my 2 cents.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast