Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Red Sox expected to offer QO to Drew

BOSTON -- The Red Sox are planning to make the $14.1 million qualifying offer to shortstop Stephen Drew and first baseman Mike Napoli in addition to star outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury.

The Red Sox won a World Series thanks in part to their short-term deals, and Drew and Napoli became vital parts of the team after signing such deals. The Red Sox would be happy to bring them both back, but by making the qualifying offer, it also sets them up to receive compensatory first-round draft choices should either leave.

In the afterglow of the championship, Napoli said, "I want to be here. I love this place."

Napoli had originally agreed agreed to a $39 million, three-year deal with the Red Sox that was cut down to a $5 million, one-year guarantee plus considerable incentives after a chronic hip condition was discovered in the medical exam. He earned his $13 million this year via the incentives, and would seem in line to make at least that much per year on a multiyear deal after a fine season where he provided the power sought and proved very adept at first base. He hit .259 with 23 homers and 92 RBI.

Drew played on a one-year deal for $9.5 million this year and is in line for a multiyear deal at a raise after having a nice season a full year removed from his ankle injury. Drew hit .253 with 13 home runs and 67 RBI and ranked high in OPS (.777) among shortstops.

For all the criticism of Drew's hitting in the playoffs, he was a major key defensively, which manager John Farrell appreciated.

Ellsbury is the second biggest star on the free-agent market, after Robinson Cano, so there never was a debate on a qualifying offer there.

It isn't known if catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia will also receive a qualifying offer. He had a pretty productive regular season but was replaced for the final three games of the World Series by veteran David Ross as Boston won the championship.
    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/...to-napoli-drew

vCash
    This must mean they are fairly certain he won't take it..

It would create a jam at 3B/SS unless they plan on moving WMB.

I would like to see WMB at 3B next year and Bogs at SS. Then maybe bring in some competition for 3B.

Drew is great, I really like him at SS. But I just don't see how he really fits on this team next year

vCash
    SS market is really weak. It's a risk, but I think Boras will look for more money in a multi year deal.

vCash
    Ugh

#BostonStrong

vCash
    No way Drew accepts it.

vCash
    I want Ells back but I think he will end up with Padres or Rangers

vCash
    Think we go after McCann with Salty maybe leaving. Or is it too much money, and we give one of our minor league guys a chance?

PAPI SMASH!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lackeyfan41 View Post
    This must mean they are fairly certain he won't take it..

It would create a jam at 3B/SS unless they plan on moving WMB.

I would like to see WMB at 3B next year and Bogs at SS. Then maybe bring in some competition for 3B.

Drew is great, I really like him at SS. But I just don't see how he really fits on this team next year
    I've been talking about this for months. The Sox don't trust WMB to be the regular 3B in '14. By signing Drew (which is likely), they will have a SS and a 3B, and 3rd/SS combo. If WMB works out well, they can deal Drew at the deadline. If somebody gets hurt, there is depth. We could also deal WMB if the Sox are really down on him.

Cecchini will be likely be the starting 3B by mid '15 no matter what happens to the others, so they only really need Drew in '14 - no need for multi-year deals.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Soxfan85 View Post
    I want Ells back but I think he will end up with Padres or Rangers
    It's over. Detroit, Skanks, Seattle, etc....

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    No way Drew accepts it.
    He's far more likely to take that deal than a 2 year deal for $18M, and perhaps a 3 year deal for $27.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 10-31-2013 at 09:13 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by j-bay View Post
    Think we go after McCann with Salty maybe leaving. Or is it too much money, and we give one of our minor league guys a chance?
    It's possible. I mean there is more of a chance IMO of McCann being here then Ells - but still just a small one.

vCash
    Drew just took a one year deal and is the obvious best SS on the market, he's gonna want a multi-year deal. Thank the heavens.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by j-bay View Post
    I do not want McCann. It looks like he will be getting around/over 60 mil and 4 years, while he has declined his last 2 years. I would much rather go with Ross/Ruiz. That is if we can get Ruiz on a 1 or cheap 2 year deal.

With Drew, I don't think he is going to take the QO. He certainly may, but he should be lined up for a nice multiyear deal after his second best season of his career. It is a win/win for us with Drew, if he leaves we get a draft pick, if he stays we get a top 5-8 SS on a 1 year deal.

vCash
    High likelyhood we do what we did last offseason. We Wont sign any players with QO attached. So that means no McCann
    Last edited by grandsalami; 11-01-2013 at 12:25 AM.

vCash
    Drew has averaged 96.3 games played that past 3 seasons. He'll be 31 in March. He's streaky offensively. He's at most getting a 3 year deal. I could see 3/27. Well if he can get 14/1, all he has to do is get over 2/13 in his next contract to be ahead of 3/27.

GS: could call on McCann, we are not entering that sweepstakes. Vazquez advanced quicker than expected last year, and Lavarnway seemed to get in the grove when he played regularly. Ross is a rock and will get his 2/5 of the games.

If McCann was 3 years younger he might be worth a 6x18 sort of deal, but he's not.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast