Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Why are we pitching to Ortiz at all?

There is no way we should be giving him anything hitable unless the bases are loaded and we have to. He has killed us this series and sees the ball the size of a grapefruit.

Give me a reason Matheny should still be letting him tee off on us?

vCash
    What I want to know is why do we keep throwing him fastball after fastball? We throw nothing but straight heat everytime and he's just waiting for it
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

vCash
    I think wainwright had the right ticket of varying the delivery. He is seeing everything really well, hitting everyone hard. I think what needs to be done is to pitch around him when we can, but I don't like doing that to anyone.
    Pitches Thrown: 194 Strikes: 114
    11.1 INN 7 K 4 BB
    1 W 0 L 0.79ERA
    Joe "Runner" Kelly

vCash
    Statistically, he is still worth pitching to over giving him first base.

Pretty rarely is it actually statistically valuable to put a guy on base freely. Basically, it's based on the situation.

I would be pitching to him too at this point. It's just five great games. That sort of thing happens all the time, even with Ortiz. He is still more likely to make an out than he is to get on base, and you have to have faith in your pitching to get him out.

That, and he has missed a lot of pitches actually. You can't look at the raw numbers and think it's even remotely sustainable.

vCash
    ortiz hit 11 for 16 (.688) with two home runs and six RBIs against the Cardinals, and just missed a grand slam when Carlos Beltran robbed him by reaching over the short bullpen wall.

Ortiz also drew eight walks and legged out a few infield hits, helped by St. Louis second baseman Matt Carpenter playing way out in shallow right field.

Two home runs
    the missed grand slam almost lost us beltran and definitely hurt our best hitter thus far in the post season

Think of all the pitches that he got that could have been limited to four for the starter each at bat.

He was seeing grapefruit and whether sustainable statistically or not he single handedly gave his team hope and determination to win.

I sure miss Larussa the way he knew how to respect Bonds and the big bats.
    Kudos for the Cards getting to the show but we failed in our approach to the most dangerouse man on there team. Take him out of the game and you get more desperation on the others to fill the void as well as get rid of the mental beat down of having to face him.

vCash
    He scored more runs walking in Game 6 than he did in Games 2, 3, and 5 where he wasn't walked...and the same amount that he scored in Games 1 and 4 when he had multiple hits.

It's not wise to walk anybody, unless they are hitting like Barry Bonds, which Papi was and is not.

vCash
    I thought it was stupid to walk him. Just keep him off balanced....don't throw him fast ball after fast ball after fast ball. Its ridiculous how many straight fastballs our entire pitching staff outside of Waino throws
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    I thought it was stupid to walk him. Just keep him off balanced....don't throw him fast ball after fast ball after fast ball. Its ridiculous how many straight fastballs our entire pitching staff outside of Waino throws
    This

If you walk a guy he will get on base 100% of the time. If you pitch to him you'll at least get the outs 3 of 10 at his pace and it's not like he had Kozma and the pitcher behind him, you're giving runners on to Napoli and others.

vCash
    I never figured out why somebody did go inside on him and knock him down..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lakerfan85 View Post
    I never figured out why somebody did go inside on him and knock him down..
    He probably would have caught the baseball with his bare hand, eaten it like an apple, and stared down the pitcher in the process.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by whitekimbo View Post
    He probably would have caught the baseball with his bare hand, eaten it like an apple, and stared down the pitcher in the process.
    That sounds pretty worth it....... Haha