Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Might be time to consider a full time switch to a 4-3

I could be very specific and get into a ton of detail but this is mostly for Coples' sake. I don't think he's an OLB, that simple. Without his hand in the dirt, he isn't as athletic as his is with it. I say this because his speed right off the line, being right there with olinemen meant they didn't have as much time to react. But him trying to race in and cause problems makes it easier for them to adjust because they have to get to him. Add in the fact that he didn't start the game (He played all but one snap against New England, played relatively poor and only played 74% of the snaps this time around) while McIntyre who only played 5 snaps against NE played 29 yesterday... Maybe Rex is starting to think Coples is't good enough in his role.

Coples-Richardson-Mo-???
    Harris-Davis-???

That defensive line is filthy. Wilkerson and Richardson beside each other might be lethal. The fourth defensive lineman wouldn't even need to be someone that expensive to still be great. And 4-3 outside linebackers aren't exactly hard to find and are not as expensive as a 3-4 OLB. That's for next year's outlook of course. This year, it'd probably look like:

Coples-Richardson-Mo-Pace/McIntyre
    Harris-Davis-Sapp(?)

Secondary will have its problems. I don't want to get into that right now. But this is more about utilizing Coples better. He was our first round pick who showed a ton of potential last year and it was a big reason why I was against moving him to a new position/drafting Richardson. Obviously, Richardson has been great and *****ing about drafting him is not the point of this thread. Its moreso how we can ensure Coples gets back to a good level of playing football.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by jetsforever; 10-28-2013 at 08:29 PM.

vCash
    Coples-Richardson-Snacks-Wilkerson

Davis-Harris-Pace

Wilkerson is such a beast that he'd be fine as a 4-3 DE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsforever View Post
    I could be very specific and get into a ton of detail but this is mostly for Coples' sake. I don't think he's an OLB, that simple. Without his hand in the dirt, he isn't as athletic as his is with it. I say this because his speed right off the line, being right there with olinemen meant they didn't have as much time to react. But him trying to race in and cause problems makes it easier for them to adjust because they have to get to him. Add in the fact that he didn't start the game (He played all but one snap against New England, played relatively poor and only played 74% of the snaps this time around) while McIntyre who only played 5 snaps against NE played 29 yesterday... Maybe Rex is starting to think Coples is't good enough in his role.

Coples-Richardson-Mo-???
    Harris-Davis-???

That defensive line is filthy. Wilkerson and Richardson beside each other might be lethal. The fourth defensive lineman wouldn't even need to be someone that expensive to still be great. And 4-3 outside linebackers aren't exactly hard to find and are not as expensive as a 3-4 OLB. That's for next year's outlook of course. This year, it'd probably look like:

Harris-Davis-Sapp(?)

Secondary will have its problems. I don't want to get into that right now. But this is more about utilizing Coples better. He was our first round pick who showed a ton of potential last year and it was a big reason why I was against moving him to a new position/drafting Richardson. Obviously, Richardson has been great and *****ing about drafting him is not the point of this thread. Its moreso how we can ensure Coples gets back to a good level of playing football.

Thoughts?
    If you brought this up in the beginning of the season, I would have agreed with you instantly. However, now, I got to disagree.

While you do make a valid point that Coples hasn't looked like a 3-4 OLB, I think we just got to keep throwing him at it hoping he learns.

I think the key point here is simple. I'll bold it for emphasis. Richardson has shown more potential than Coples ever has so far. If we moved to a 4-3, I am not entirely sure that Richardson/Wilkerson would be as good. It wouldn't surprise me if they are, but I wouldn't want to risk it.

Another thing you have to look at that I will also point out is that Harrison has also shown more potential than Coples ever has. Harrison has been arguably the best NT in the game this year. It's not a far-fetched argument to say he's a top 3 NT in football after this year if he continues his performance for the rest of the year.

While I do agree the linebacking core would be stronger, like you said we would still be missing a SAM. Davis would likely make a very good WILL and I'm somewhat confident Harris could be the mike, but we'd have no SAM. I wanted the team to sign Daryl Smith or Karlos Dansby this offseason so we could make the switch but we didn't.

So basically just for the fact that our front 7 has been so strong and that a 4-3 would completely get rid of one of our best players, Harrison, I would be against making the switch to a 3-4, even if Coples would improve. I think we just got to keep Coples where's he at and hope he improves (it's not like he's been terrible). If he can't play, then we can always use him in certain 4-3 packages Rex runs or whenever Richardson needs a rest. Or Coples could be great trade bait.

Whatever we decide to do, our linebacking core is gonna need some retooling this offseason as I don't expect Harris or Pace to be back.

vCash

Might be time to consider a full time switch to a 4-3

Completely forgot about Harrison when listing the roster. That was idiotic of me. Borderline embarrassing.

vCash

Coples-Richardson-Mo-???
    Harris-Davis-???

Harris-Davis-Sapp(?)

Thoughts?
    Coples-Ellis-Richardson-Mo
    Harris-Davis-Pace/McIntyre

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    Completely forgot about Harrison when listing the roster. That was idiotic of me. Borderline embarrassing.
    I'd say your way south of the border. Feel ashamed sir.

On a more serious not the reason you can't do this is because Harris is terrible in coverage, and while Pace has actually been better this season than in the past I still don't want to leave him in a ton of space all the time.

While I like our line and think they could handle it you are changing something that is working (which includes enough 4 lineman sets) I think you are changing the linebackers roles,which I don't think they can handle. Hell part of what makes Harris work is being able to work through the mess that is the smaller space created by having 4 linebackers taking up a quarter of the horizontal space.