Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Thomas Vanek acquired by Islanders

http://islanderspointblank.com/islan...-thomas-vanek/

Islanders Trade Moulson to Buffalo, Get Back Thomas Vanek

The Islanders have traded Matt Moulson, the team’s 2014 1st round pick and a 2015 2nd round pick to the Buffalo Sabres for Thomas Vanek.

The 29-year-old Vanek played 13 games with Buffalo this season, notching nine points (four goals and five assists).

In his nine-year NHL career, he’s scored 254 goals and 243 assists for 497 points with a plus-29 rating in 598 career games. His best season came in 2006-07, averaging over a point per game with 84 points (43 goals and 41 assists) in 82 games, while leading the NHL in plus/minus rating with a plus-47 rating

He was named co-captain of the Sabres this season and has worn the “C” during the team’s home games.

Full release from the Islanders below:

UNIONDALE, NY (October 27, 2013) – The New York Islanders announced today that they have acquired Thomas Vanek from the Buffalo Sabres in exchange for Matt Moulson, a first round selection in the 2014 National Hockey League Draft and a second round selection in 2015.

Vanek, 29, joins the Islanders after playing in 13 games with Buffalo this season, accumulating nine points (four goals and five assists). He was named co-captain of the Sabres this season and has worn the “C” during the team’s home games.

The Vienna, Austria native has played nine NHL seasons, totaling 254 goals and 243 assists for 497 points with a plus-29 rating in 598 career games. Vanek had a career year in 2006-07, averaging over a point per game with 84 points (43 goals and 41 assists) in 82 games, while leading the NHL in plus/minus rating with a plus-47 rating. Vanek led Buffalo in power-play goals in seven of his nine seasons in the league and finished first in the NHL with 20 in 2008-09.

The 6’2, 217 pound left wing has played in 36 career NHL playoff games, totaling 20 points (15 goals and five assists).

The Sabres selected Vanek in the first round (fifth overall) of the 2003 NHL Draft, making him the highest selected Austrian hockey player in league history. He represented Buffalo at the 2009 NHL All-Star Weekend in Montreal, QC.

Internationally, Vanek has represented Austria the World Junior Championships (2001-02, 2002-03 and 2003-04) and World Championships (2003-04, 2007-08, 2008-09 and 2012-13).

Prior to his professional career, Vanek played two seasons at the University of Minnesota (WCHA). Each season he averaged well over a point per game, totaling 113 points (57 goals and 56 assists) in 83 games with the Golden Gophers.

****ing dumb same kind of player as Moulson and we don't even get Miller. We lose a 1st round draft pick and a 2nd. Stupid Garth I'm not happy **** you Vanek.

vCash
    Interesting deal. Honestly surprised the islanders gave all that up.

vCash
    Where are you kmo I want your opinion on this same with you tsu I miss Moulson

vCash
    Snow better get Vanek to sign an extension. Otherwise, this trade may prove to be one of the worst in Islanders history, and that's saying a lot. Hopefully this won't turn out to be another Ryan Smyth trade though and Vanek will be here for a good number of years.

Also, while Tavares & Vanek together should be amazing, I wonder why Snow jumped to make a move like this. The Islanders problem wasn't scoring goals, but rather keeping the other teams from scoring. They were 6th in the league in goals per game, and near the bottom of the league in goals against. IMO they need a solid d-man. Vanek will look great in the on the ice as an islander, but they'll still be putting Carkner out there with him.

vCash
    I don't get it.

vCash
    You lost be when you said Vanek and Moulson are the same type of player. Vanek is a top 30 forward, where Moulson is not. Vanek is also a better skater, and can create his own shot. He can virtually score from anywhere inside the blue line.

As for the trade, it's a fair one. Does it make too much sense? Probably not. Isles need a big time defenseman and a goaltender. There's still time.

Also, if Vanek does leave, brutal deal looking back as there's a great chance Moulson would have re-signed.

vCash
    I still don't think we got fair value. If it was Thomas Vanek and Ryan Miller for Matt Moulson, a 1st round pick, and a 2nd round pick that would of been worth it. It's a ashamed really if he won't resign Garth will look like Mad Mike. Either way, some guys like Bran have clarified his abilities as a player so I am looking forward to him this year, regardless.

vCash
    Look at the deal Jason Pominville got. He does have another year left though. That was for 10 games + playoffs + 13/14 season. You're getting a full season of Vanek. He'd go for THAT at the deadline as a rental. Of course there's a big scare of him not re-signing.You're going to hear Minnesota rumors too.

Vanek is fast. He's big. His defensive game is average. His shot is amongst the best in the NHL. One of the best releases. His slap shot is wicked, his snapper is great, his wrist shot is elite, and he's great in front of the net. His tips/screens, all of that, great. Unlike Moulson, he can create his own shot. You can have him on line 2.

He's got something like 9 points in 12 games for the Sabres this season. That's hard hwne your team puts up 1.60 goals forward per game. Now he's going to a more offensive team with an offensive weapon with JT. He's capable of 40/45 on a consistent basis or so. Vanek's great. One of my favourite players.

vCash
    And I'll tell you what though, it's not going to be normal for me with Moulson not on this team. I thought for sure he would finish his career with us, loyalty doesn't account for **** anymore.

vCash
    Vanek had 106 goals over 267 games from 2009-12 and has four in 13 games this season. Moulson had 112 goals over 293 games from 2009-12 and has six in 11 games this season. Their production is virtually even.

From NHL

vCash
    It's a great move if we sign him to an extension.. Moulson was a fan favorite n worked well with JT.. But thus team needed a wake up call.. 2 say Vanek is the same player as moulson is insane.. Moulson played with JT.. B4 that know 1 heard of him
    We got this!!!

vCash
    I gotta believe Garth knows Vanek will sign. I don't see him making this deal without having some kind of assurance that he will. If that's the case....I'm ok with the deal. Still don't like giving up that 1st rounder and not getting a goalie or big Dman in exchange, but I guess its hard to argue with when you get a guy like Vanek.

Garth seems pissed at the record right now, but he's gotta have more plans than this. Get a Dman and a goalie.

vCash
    Why trade away 2 picks and a pretty good player for a rental upgrade at forward, a position we were already settled at? I mean, can you at least get a goalie if you're going to make a trade like this??? Seriously, why not a goalie? Why not a defenseman at least??!?!?
    Sandy Alderson says Mets' 2014 payroll will be more than $87 million
    (11/19/2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    Payroll is $85 million this year. It was $85 million last year.
    (05/27/14)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    I don't think we're that far away.
    (6 games under .500 before June. Not that far away from what?)

vCash
    I don't know how anyone doesn't love this deal. All you ****ers ever want is Garth to try and do something with our first round pick, and he finally did and we got a star player. Vanek may love it here and re-sign long term. Moulson would have gotten big pay raise and lets be honest, Moulson isn't half the player Vanek is. Vanek is a star, Bran is spot on about him. Moulson can't create his own scoring chances. Moulson on our 2nd and 3rd lines can't do jack ****, while Vanek on the 3rd line would still be a 40 goal scorer.

Vanek solidifies our top line, gives us one of the best in the league. Once Lubo gets back were probably only a defenseman away from being an awesome top to bottom team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CHj0dMkK6A

New Video. Isles season highlights 2011-12!

vCash
    Ok ok I just feel like we gave up to much for him thats all :eek:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast