Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Cap hit if we cut Peppers?

Anyone know the cap hit numbers if we don't bring him back next year? I thought I remember hearing he just restructured his deal in the last 2 years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Raceway24 View Post
    Anyone know the cap hit numbers if we don't bring him back next year? I thought I remember hearing he just restructured his deal in the last 2 years.
    Go to sportrac.

vCash
    I believe we save something like 12 million, I'm likely wrong though.
    Mike...
    ... when talking Notre Dame football

vCash

Cap hit if we cut Peppers?

IIRC, it saves $10M in cap, but you have to pay him $8M in dead money

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Branwegner84 View Post
    IIRC, it saves $10M in cap, but you have to pay him $8M in dead money
    That sounds about right. I don't remember the numbers...spotrac has them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by debo View Post
    That sounds about right. I don't remember the numbers...spotrac has them.
    Sure, but most people don't know what amount is held against the cap if cut.
    Mike...
    ... when talking Notre Dame football

vCash
    Whatever amount it is it'll be worth it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BcEuAbRsS View Post
    Sure, but most people don't know what amount is held against the cap if cut.
    Man, wouldn't it be nice if there was some kind of magical Al Gore Machine that would help people find that information?!?

I'm done spoon feeding on this site. If people want to remain ignorant of things, then great - they'll stay ignorant. If people want to talk football, they can ask where to find things, how to find things, etc. (i.e. - they can LEARN and APPLY just like everyone else who is knowledgeable about anything).

vCash
    Al Gore...

vCash
    Al Gore invented the interwebz

vCash
    I'd be shocked if Emery didn't cut Pep next season. I would cut pep, resign Wonton and go out and get Michael Johnson. Sign Melton on a 1 year prove it deal around 4 mil. My dream draft scenario would be Hageman in the 1st and Easley in the 2nd. Wonton, Paea, Melton, Johnson, Easley, Hageman, Cornwash would sure up our D-line and give us a lot of versatility. I'd be ok with not bringing back Melton, but the cheaper Collins and starting Hageman too.

vCash
    Peppers is most likely done in Chicago after this season
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

vCash
    Chicago Tribune
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,6899583.story

Emery not worried about McClellin, Peppers

By Dan Wiederer, Tribune reporter
    8:31 a.m. CDT, October 24, 2013

Bears general manager Phil Emery offered a state-of-the-team address earlier this week at Halas Hall but steered away from sharp criticism of a defensive line that has been depleted by injury and largely ineffective generating any sort of significant pass rush this season.

Through seven games, the Bears have only nine sacks (30thin the NFL). Five of those quarterback takedowns have come from linebackers. And another was delivered by defensive tackle Nate Collins in Week 5 against the Saints not long before he suffered a season-ending ACL tear.

No wonder then that opposing quarterbacks have completed 65.3 percent of their passes against the Bears this season for 1,784 yards with 13 touchdowns, seven interceptions and a 94.0 rating.

Still, when asked directly about the struggles of ends Shea McClellin and Julius Peppers, Emery searched for silver linings.

“I’ve seen improvement in Shea, particularly in his strength against the run,” he said. “The primary thing to remember about our defense, as opposed to how some others are structured, is we’re a one-gap fit defense. Generally our ends are C-gap players. In our defense, the most important thing is gap discipline and doing your job first. I’ve seen drastic differences between him from a year ago in being able to maintain that leverage on that gap, to be able to drop his hips, extend his arms and hold his ground so that the ball is turned into another gap. So in terms of playing team defense, Shea is doing a great job at that.

“Julius, in his words and my words, we want him to continue to improve where he’s at as a player. I’ve seen some great individual plays and I think he wants to improve his consistency and so do the rest of us.”

Asked why Peppers hasn’t had anywhere near the impact this season that has come to be expected from him, Emery pointed to the Bears’ constantly reshuffling defense as a contributing factor for the slump.

“I think what you’re seeing is a different combination of players that has been variable from week to week,” he said. “It’s about us as a group learning to play together and be assignment specific. That feel, it’s different. If you have one different person in a group of 11, it’s going to affect how everybody fits. I think that’s what you’re seeing, not so much Julius Peppers or Shea, it’s just how we all fit together and work together.”

vCash
    I don't necessarily buy into that completely. Peppers is the kind of talent, and he's getting paid like it, too, where he should be able to dominate no matter who is next to him. The fact is, he's too old, he barely has any of the old explosiveness that made him the man, and will likely never live up to his pay again. This off-season we need to move on for sure. His decline has been apparent for a couple years now and I'm pretty sure he's been having more bad games than good over that timeframe.

vCash
    Haha get real Phil.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast