Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Land of the sun
    Posts
    3,488
    vCash
    1500

    Mike Miller are you serious?

    Reports are former Heat player Mike Miller has filed a lawsuit against the franchise for 1.7 million to gain back money lost in a fraud case that an employee within the organization was tied to.

    Dont know about ya'll but I think Miller should be ashamed after all the free money he has and still is collecting from Mr. Arison...thoughts?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    11,336
    vCash
    500
    I don't think you have the details.

    Mike Miller is no longer a member of the Miami Heat but still has a lingering legal issue with the franchise. Miller is considering filing a lawsuit against the Heat after being defrauded of $1.7 million by Haider Zafar. Zafar was not an employee of the organization, but was introduced to Miller by the Heat's executive vice president of sales, Stephen Weber, reports Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald:

    "According to Miller's complaint that has been drawn up but not yet filed, a Heat employee introduced Miller to Zafar, and Zafar used $700,000 of the money he stole from Miller to pay for courtside Heat tickets.

    "Settlement talks between Miller and the Heat have stalled. Miller asked for that $700,000 back from the Heat, plus attorney's fees, but "the parties were far apart," Miller's attorney, Andrew Fine, said."

    Miller was led to believe Zafar would invest his money into a high-yield private fund. It was later discovered Zafar had no access to such fund and used $700,000 of Miller's "investment" money to pay for courtside seats at Heat games.

    The complaint states that Zafar had drawn an agreement with the Heat to spend $3 million over three years for seats and "other benefits" in December but did not submit payment. Zafar asked Weber to introduce him to Heat players who had businesses he could "invest in" in January, which was the point of contact between the parties.

    Miller's complaint also states the Heat knew Zafar was using a "false or at least unofficial identity" and was under investigation by the IRS prior to the January meeting. James Jones and Rashard Lewis were also defrauded by Zafar. He is currently imprisoned in Ohio awaiting trial on unrelated fraud charges.
    Sounds like the HEAT are definitely culpable for some or most of this fraud. As they introduced the guy to Miller, and accepted $700k from this same guy, out of the money Miller gave to him.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    5,442
    vCash
    1777
    can the title be changed? Dont see anything wrong with what mike is doing. if he put 700k into a fund and they lost it, thats one thing, but if the guys just straight using money for tickets? thats Fd up

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Southern CA
    Posts
    17,306
    vCash
    500
    Nothing will come from it as the Heat did nothing wrong. They don't control the guy who stole from Miller, Jones and Lewis. They will most likely get nothing back as the guy is broke and in jail so Miller is looking to try and target the Hear cause he knows they have money. But unless he can 100% prove the Heat had anything to do with this he will get nothing.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    11,336
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Slug3 View Post
    Nothing will come from it as the Heat did nothing wrong. They don't control the guy who stole from Miller, Jones and Lewis. They will most likely get nothing back as the guy is broke and in jail so Miller is looking to try and target the Hear cause he knows they have money. But unless he can 100% prove the Heat had anything to do with this he will get nothing.
    I don't know, because I think what is critical is how the judge views this part:

    "Zafar asked Weber to introduce him to Heat players who had businesses he could "invest in" in January, which was the point of contact between the parties."

    If a HEAT employee is using his connections as an employee to introduce a person he met and associated with as a HEAT employee to other HEAT employees, the organization as an extension of Weber is to blame, especially if the introduction took place at a HEAT facility. It isn't like Weber is introducing a friend (that he met outside of work) to Miller and others at some party at his home. If that's the case, then yeah, the HEAT hold no responsibility. Also if the Weber guy acted out of company policy then only he is to blame, because he was breaking the rules. But it does sound like Weber was acting in the interest of the HEAT by introducing him to investors, because Weber wanted to sell tickets and close the deal. That is the key, if he was acting in the interest of his employer.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Southern CA
    Posts
    17,306
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by beasted86 View Post
    I don't know, because I think what is critical is how the judge views this part:

    "Zafar asked Weber to introduce him to Heat players who had businesses he could "invest in" in January, which was the point of contact between the parties."

    If a HEAT employee is using his connections as an employee to introduce a person he met and associated with as a HEAT employee to other HEAT employees, the organization as an extension of Weber is to blame, especially if the introduction took place at a HEAT facility. It isn't like Weber is introducing a friend (that he met outside of work) to Miller and others at some party at his home. If that's the case, then yeah, the HEAT hold no responsibility. Also if the Weber guy acted out of company policy then only he is to blame, because he was breaking the rules. But it does sound like Weber was acting in the interest of the HEAT by introducing him to investors, because Weber wanted to sell tickets and close the deal. That is the key, if he was acting in the interest of his employer.
    The thing is they need to prove the Heat employee knew that the guy was going to scam the players. I don't really think someone in his position would knowingly want to be a part of that.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Land of the sun
    Posts
    3,488
    vCash
    1500
    Well I see it as Miller was paid 25 mill and he was only healthy enough to play in lil more than half the games played so to come back and get 1.7 mill seems a lil petty. I could understand if it was the employee alone he was filing against
    Last edited by dimgim; 10-25-2013 at 06:11 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    11,336
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by dimgim View Post
    Well I see it as Miller was paid 25 mill and he was only healthy enough to play in lil more than half the games played so to come back and get 1.7 mill seems a lil petty. I could understand if it was the employee alone he was filing against
    Insurance pays a portion of the player salary when a guy is injured. And at the end of the day, he fulfilled his contract, and what he was brought here to do... help us win championships.

    And there is nothing at all petty about losing $1.7M. That's a lot of money for anyone. What is petty is a billionaire like Martha Stewart insider trading to avoid losing $50k on the exchange. But $1.7M is not petty, especially since Miller isn't a billionaire.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    11,336
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Slug3 View Post
    The thing is they need to prove the Heat employee knew that the guy was going to scam the players. I don't really think someone in his position would knowingly want to be a part of that.
    Either way, I think the HEAT will try continue to try and settle this out of court, because clearly they do hold some type of blame in this. The guy Weber at the end of the day only introduced him to the players because he felt it was necessary to close the ticket deal, which the HEAT benefited from.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Land of the sun
    Posts
    3,488
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by beasted86 View Post
    Insurance pays a portion of the player salary when a guy is injured. And at the end of the day, he fulfilled his contract, and what he was brought here to do... help us win championships.

    And there is nothing at all petty about losing $1.7M. That's a lot of money for anyone. What is petty is a billionaire like Martha Stewart insider trading to avoid losing $50k on the exchange. But $1.7M is not petty, especially since Miller isn't a billionaire.
    I like Miller cool cat but to each his own because if I own a team and I sign a guy I would like to be able to rely on him for more than half the games my team played so we disagree on if he lived up to his contract or not.

    I'm sure his drink let it fly was alot more successful because the attention the Heat got as well.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    4,828
    vCash
    1500
    I love how fans call out players who seek to regain stolen money amounting in the millions.

    Its not petty, its business. Just to put it into comparable perspective, if I made 250K a year before tax and i had $17,000 stolen from me, I would want it back.

    After tax, thats nearly 10% of his income. Stolen. Yea, not petty.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Land of the sun
    Posts
    3,488
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Heater4life View Post
    I love how fans call out players who seek to regain stolen money amounting in the millions.

    Its not petty, its business. Just to put it into comparable perspective, if I made 250K a year before tax and i had $17,000 stolen from me, I would want it back.

    After tax, thats nearly 10% of his income. Stolen. Yea, not petty.
    If that player is trying to get it from the person that actually took it from him then I understand your point but thats not the case. Still seems to be alot of misinformation out there about it so it could all be for not anyway.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    6,079
    vCash
    16200

    Mike Miller are you serious?

    He sat on the bench and got paid millions

    He can **** off




    Big Ben?Naw much better



    The Future Of Jacksonville

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    672
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by hotdalton18 View Post
    He sat on the bench and got paid millions

    He can **** off
    Work related injuries though. Would you not feel like compensation would be necessary if your job required you to put your body on the line, then leading to an injury? Without his health, he then can't find another job thus requiring some sort of collateral and financial security. It is the nature of the industry and the heat took the risk.

    Getting swindled though should not matter wether you sat on the bench or played. These are two entirely separate events. I would be pissed if I was swindled 500 despite making 50,000. Even a 1% matters no matter how much you make. You should all try putting things into perspective with your lives before making these ridiculous comments. How would you feel?

    On a side note, I do feel that if this man(heat employee) acted on his own with no consent from the heat organization, then the heat should not be the ones held accountable.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    6,079
    vCash
    16200
    yah and got all the sudden healthy enough to play in the playoffs

    He could of chose to retire , so no he shouldent be aloud to sit on the bench and make that much money

    and he should go after the guy who did it not the Heat




    Big Ben?Naw much better



    The Future Of Jacksonville

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •