Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Can an argument be made for Michael Wacha...

Being the best draft choice made last year?

Arguably, the stuff isn't top-tier, but he couldn't have gone to a better team, with a tried and true system and one of the greatest catchers of the era to help him along. As a Cardinal, it is very easy to see him having a long and illustrious career. So they potentially got a TORP, who is contributing in a major way in less than a year. It can certainly be argued that he wouldn't be having this success if he were drafted by probably 90% of the other teams, but given the circumstances, do you think he was the best selection made last year?
    Alshon's Athletic Bloodlines Run Deep (AND CATCH EVERYTHING)

vCash
    I would argue the changeup is top tier. They claim it is the best change in the St. Louis organization.

Hard to judge really, most of that class hasn't even broke the majors yet. He was the most major league ready player in that draft though. Buxton will be a special player once he is in the MLB full time.

vCash
    I love prospects as much as anybody, but again this is a TORP that's in the rotation in a year. Isn't getting quality production as soon as you can on a MLB level the most important priority of a draft pick?

vCash
    Depends on the team I suppose. For the Cards, they're competive now, so major league ready talent at a position of need is more valuable. The Twins and Astros aren't competitive and can afford to wait a few years for their young guys to develop. If Buxton ends up being as good as Trout, he is probably worth the wait, he is only 19.

This is probably a discussion of whether to draft college or high school players. I prefer to draft college players myself.
    Last edited by Texas Holders; 10-25-2013 at 05:17 AM.

vCash
    He was, at the time, the most MLB ready pitcher in that draft. He is a little different than the rest prior to him.

He was only a two pitch pitcher than.

vCash
    The most underrated pitch in baseball is the change-up. Sounds so ****ing Tim McCarver but it's true. Everyone drools over a heater or a 12-6 curve or a wipeout slider, but a dominant change-up will sustain a career a lot longer than those will.

Does he throw a straight change?

vCash
    him being in the majors and pitching well in the post season is a pretty good reason to sya you can argue it
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    Being the best draft choice made last year?

Arguably, the stuff isn't top-tier, but he couldn't have gone to a better team, with a tried and true system and one of the greatest catchers of the era to help him along. As a Cardinal, it is very easy to see him having a long and illustrious career. So they potentially got a TORP, who is contributing in a major way in less than a year. It can certainly be argued that he wouldn't be having this success if he were drafted by probably 90% of the other teams, but given the circumstances, do you think he was the best selection made last year?
    Depends on what you mean by best draft choice. I'm unwilling to say he is likely to provide the best value as there will certainly be someone selected in a later round who comes up and has a very good major league career and that player whoever it ends up being is likely to be the best value. However if you are talking about best draft choice of top talented players then yes he is certainly a prime candidate. I mean I wouldn't anoint him that yet as he is competing against the top prospect in the game and not one but two number one overall selections (Appel is technically a draft choice in the 2012 draft). I will say this though he has a great start in that race.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

vCash
    He throws his Fast Ball and Chane 93% of the time, if he is going to have any prolonged success he needs a good 3rd pitch.

vCash
    When you say best draft choice, do you mean best player in the draft or best value at the draft slot? Value could be argued I guess, but there's no way I'd trade Buxton or Correa for Wacha.

Though I must admit, it'll be tough for any of these other players to make as much of a postseason impact as Wacha already has.

But it's still really really early. How many other players are even in the majors yet?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    He throws his Fast Ball and Chane 93% of the time, if he is going to have any prolonged success he needs a good 3rd pitch.
    Have you not seen his curveball when he does throw it?

It's naughty.

It was a 30 on the scouting scale, it's now a 50 after just one year of trying to throw it. It's a pretty damn good pitch

He has also been playing with a cutter lately.

His fastball/changeup combo were a +13 run value this year, in just 60 innings (not including post-season obviously).

He has been fun to watch, lot's of Cubs fans gave me **** pre-season that Wacha didn't even belong as a top 100 spec, and was at best, a back end starter. Even if Wacha flames out, he has still had clear success.

vCash
    During the post-season, has an 11% LD rate with a 25.8% in field pop up rate....with a 2.83 FIP. That's just stupid.

I know it's the post-season and some of these teams have never seen him, but they are all getting a second shot at him, and he is performing awesome.

vCash
    wacha is doing well. excited to see him to still add onto his repertoire. continue to develop his curveball and work on some variations of fastballs (like the cutter jeffy mentioned)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post

It's naughty.

It was a 30 on the scouting scale, it's now a 50 after just one year of trying to throw it. It's a pretty damn good pitch

His fastball/changeup combo were a +13 run value this year, in just 60 innings (not including post-season obviously).

He has been fun to watch, lot's of Cubs fans gave me **** pre-season that Wacha didn't even belong as a top 100 spec, and was at best, a back end starter. Even if Wacha flames out, he has still had clear success.
    Curve was ok. But a bit high almost all night. He wont be able to keep that up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post

It's naughty.

Unsustainable

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast