Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 51
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles County, CA
    Posts
    20,478
    vCash
    1500

    Can an argument be made for Michael Wacha...

    Being the best draft choice made last year?

    Arguably, the stuff isn't top-tier, but he couldn't have gone to a better team, with a tried and true system and one of the greatest catchers of the era to help him along. As a Cardinal, it is very easy to see him having a long and illustrious career. So they potentially got a TORP, who is contributing in a major way in less than a year. It can certainly be argued that he wouldn't be having this success if he were drafted by probably 90% of the other teams, but given the circumstances, do you think he was the best selection made last year?
    Alshon's Athletic Bloodlines Run Deep (AND CATCH EVERYTHING)


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,679
    vCash
    1500
    I would argue the changeup is top tier. They claim it is the best change in the St. Louis organization.

    Hard to judge really, most of that class hasn't even broke the majors yet. He was the most major league ready player in that draft though. Buxton will be a special player once he is in the MLB full time.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles County, CA
    Posts
    20,478
    vCash
    1500
    I love prospects as much as anybody, but again this is a TORP that's in the rotation in a year. Isn't getting quality production as soon as you can on a MLB level the most important priority of a draft pick?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,679
    vCash
    1500
    Depends on the team I suppose. For the Cards, they're competive now, so major league ready talent at a position of need is more valuable. The Twins and Astros aren't competitive and can afford to wait a few years for their young guys to develop. If Buxton ends up being as good as Trout, he is probably worth the wait, he is only 19.

    This is probably a discussion of whether to draft college or high school players. I prefer to draft college players myself.
    Last edited by Texas Holders; 10-25-2013 at 05:17 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    36,737
    vCash
    1000
    He was, at the time, the most MLB ready pitcher in that draft. He is a little different than the rest prior to him.

    He was only a two pitch pitcher than.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles County, CA
    Posts
    20,478
    vCash
    1500
    The most underrated pitch in baseball is the change-up. Sounds so ****ing Tim McCarver but it's true. Everyone drools over a heater or a 12-6 curve or a wipeout slider, but a dominant change-up will sustain a career a lot longer than those will.

    Does he throw a straight change?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    52,937
    vCash
    1500
    him being in the majors and pitching well in the post season is a pretty good reason to sya you can argue it
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

    1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    9,395
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    Being the best draft choice made last year?

    Arguably, the stuff isn't top-tier, but he couldn't have gone to a better team, with a tried and true system and one of the greatest catchers of the era to help him along. As a Cardinal, it is very easy to see him having a long and illustrious career. So they potentially got a TORP, who is contributing in a major way in less than a year. It can certainly be argued that he wouldn't be having this success if he were drafted by probably 90% of the other teams, but given the circumstances, do you think he was the best selection made last year?
    Depends on what you mean by best draft choice. I'm unwilling to say he is likely to provide the best value as there will certainly be someone selected in a later round who comes up and has a very good major league career and that player whoever it ends up being is likely to be the best value. However if you are talking about best draft choice of top talented players then yes he is certainly a prime candidate. I mean I wouldn't anoint him that yet as he is competing against the top prospect in the game and not one but two number one overall selections (Appel is technically a draft choice in the 2012 draft). I will say this though he has a great start in that race.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    san josYAY
    Posts
    9,971
    vCash
    1500
    He throws his Fast Ball and Chane 93% of the time, if he is going to have any prolonged success he needs a good 3rd pitch.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    8,752
    vCash
    1500
    When you say best draft choice, do you mean best player in the draft or best value at the draft slot? Value could be argued I guess, but there's no way I'd trade Buxton or Correa for Wacha.

    Though I must admit, it'll be tough for any of these other players to make as much of a postseason impact as Wacha already has.

    But it's still really really early. How many other players are even in the majors yet?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    36,737
    vCash
    1000
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    He throws his Fast Ball and Chane 93% of the time, if he is going to have any prolonged success he needs a good 3rd pitch.
    Have you not seen his curveball when he does throw it?

    It's naughty.

    It was a 30 on the scouting scale, it's now a 50 after just one year of trying to throw it. It's a pretty damn good pitch

    He has also been playing with a cutter lately.


    His fastball/changeup combo were a +13 run value this year, in just 60 innings (not including post-season obviously).


    He has been fun to watch, lot's of Cubs fans gave me **** pre-season that Wacha didn't even belong as a top 100 spec, and was at best, a back end starter. Even if Wacha flames out, he has still had clear success.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    36,737
    vCash
    1000
    During the post-season, has an 11% LD rate with a 25.8% in field pop up rate....with a 2.83 FIP. That's just stupid.

    I know it's the post-season and some of these teams have never seen him, but they are all getting a second shot at him, and he is performing awesome.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,591
    vCash
    1500
    wacha is doing well. excited to see him to still add onto his repertoire. continue to develop his curveball and work on some variations of fastballs (like the cutter jeffy mentioned)

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    353
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Have you not seen his curveball when he does throw it?

    It's naughty.

    It was a 30 on the scouting scale, it's now a 50 after just one year of trying to throw it. It's a pretty damn good pitch

    He has also been playing with a cutter lately.


    His fastball/changeup combo were a +13 run value this year, in just 60 innings (not including post-season obviously).


    He has been fun to watch, lot's of Cubs fans gave me **** pre-season that Wacha didn't even belong as a top 100 spec, and was at best, a back end starter. Even if Wacha flames out, he has still had clear success.
    Curve was ok. But a bit high almost all night. He wont be able to keep that up.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    57,153
    vCash
    1700
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Have you not seen his curveball when he does throw it?

    It's naughty.

    It was a 30 on the scouting scale, it's now a 50 after just one year of trying to throw it. It's a pretty damn good pitch

    He has also been playing with a cutter lately.


    His fastball/changeup combo were a +13 run value this year, in just 60 innings (not including post-season obviously).


    He has been fun to watch, lot's of Cubs fans gave me **** pre-season that Wacha didn't even belong as a top 100 spec, and was at best, a back end starter. Even if Wacha flames out, he has still had clear success.
    Unsustainable

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •