Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Why Reggie has his "franchise" QB.

There are ongoing debates as to whether or not Pryor has what it takes to be our QB of the future, in fact, it gets brought up rather regularly in threads that have nothing to do with the topic. This is not what this thread is about. Part of being a franchise QB is first getting the commitment of the organization. Sometimes this happens with the position in which a QB is drafted. Other times it's acquired through a pricey agent contract. Sometimes opportunity is taken advantage of as in the case of players like Tony Romo and Tom Brady.

Back to the Raiders, the new regime chose to go with Carson Palmer in year one. Had he performed well and gotten the team to the playoffs, there is little question he would have been back the next year. That did not happen and he was let go and thus the Raider were without a franchise QB coming into this season. In the off season, there was an opportunity to draft a franchise QB. The Raiders scouted one QB prospect, Geno Smith, particularly hard. Ultimately, they did not chose him or any other QB until round #4 leaving Matt Flynn and Terrell Pryor as the team's only viable options at QB. Of course we know how Flynn's career with us ended. Pryor became the starter by the end the off season.

So what am I getting at? The time is almost due that this current regime needs to produce results, and they are well aware of that. There has been a lot of feeling around, making mistakes and correcting those mistakes for the first two years. The one area they have accomplished success with is the defense. By year #3, they will have to be viewed as being on an overall track to success as opposed to still getting systems in place. Drafting a rookie QB means you are putting new systems in place, and that's not where they need to be. I believe they already have their franchise QB, by choice for now and hopefully by validation later.

vCash
    So far so good.

"Just Win Baby!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillage Idiot View Post
    There are ongoing debates as to whether or not Pryor has what it takes to be our QB of the future, in fact, it gets brought up rather regularly in threads that have nothing to do with the topic. This is not what this thread is about. Part of being a franchise QB is first getting the commitment of the organization. Sometimes this happens with the position in which a QB is drafted. Other times it's acquired through a pricey agent contract. Sometimes opportunity is taken advantage of as in the case of players like Tony Romo and Tom Brady.

Back to the Raiders, the new regime chose to go with Carson Palmer in year one. Had he performed well and gotten the team to the playoffs, there is little question he would have been back the next year. That did not happen and he was let go and thus the Raider were without a franchise QB coming into this season. In the off season, there was an opportunity to draft a franchise QB. The Raiders scouted one QB prospect, Geno Smith, particularly hard. Ultimately, they did not chose him or any other QB until round #4 leaving Matt Flynn and Terrell Pryor as the team's only viable options at QB. Of course we know how Flynn's career with us ended. Pryor became the starter by the end the off season.

So what am I getting at? The time is almost due that this current regime needs to produce results, and they are well aware of that. There has been a lot of feeling around, making mistakes and correcting those mistakes for the first two years. The one area they have accomplished success with is the defense. By year #3, they will have to be viewed as being on an overall track to success as opposed to still getting systems in place. Drafting a rookie QB means you are putting new systems in place, and that's not where they need to be. I believe they already have their franchise QB, by choice for now and hopefully by validation later.
    If you feel this way I don't understand your argument for drafting Oregon's QB high next season. A bit of a contradiction no?

vCash
    I would say that evaluation is ongoing and a clear answer, though trending positively, has not been presented as of yet. I find the question too critical for definitive judgements to be passed at this stage. He certainly looks to be on track but things must be played out before eliminating all options. Luckily, much of the season remains and more clarity will be offered.

vCash
    I still think we would be 3-3 right now if he would have played in the redskins game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackheart1 View Post
    I still think we would be 3-3 right now if he would have played in the redskins game.
    I know we would be 3-3

vCash
    Pryor has played better than expected, but in the big picture...not that well at all. He has not cemented himself as a franchise QB in the least....at least not as of yet.

However, the entire offense has been mostly pathetic and that clouds the process of evaluation. Which is why its a good thing that professionals do it and not the likes of us. We'll just have to wait until draft day to see what McKenzie really thinks of Pryor. It would not surprise me to see us take a QB.

-Stork

vCash
    I believe Pryor Has earned 2014 as long as he continues to progress. What he has done so far, warrants putting an actual NFL line in front of him, an actual NFL RB behind him (shot at McFraud). get a couple decent TE's (Rivera is producing). throw a #1 receiver in the mix & give him a go after another offseason of work.

As for now, we have to see what he can do under duress. Hopefully we take some "touches" from Mc2.9ypc and find a way to mix it up and develop a run game to the 5 or 6 ypc to keep 3rds managable.

Pryor saved us from a Flynn (Jeff Goerge w/o the cannon) and possibly worse than 2 of 3 florida teams.

vCash
    It would not surprise me if we find out that Pryor's best work comes out of duress and broken plays.

-Stork

vCash
    I know this will be taken incorrectly, but I find this question very much unanswered at this point. There is legitimate cause for optimism, but it's premature to anoint him our centerpiece at the expense of eliminating all other future options, notably a high draft pick.

Again, things certainly look promising, but the evaluation must be continuous throughout the season. I do wonder about possible frictions should there be a split in opinion following the season amongst ownership and personnel executives.

vCash
    Please dont put Pryor and Brady in the same sentence. He played good enough so far but is he leading you to the superbowl? He has done a reasonable job taking care of the ball, only 5 ints and 3 fumbles. But do you see Manning, Brady, or Brees numbers and throws? The ones that win the game? Seldom. If there is a franchise qb available you take him

vCash
    I am impressed with Pryor's attitude as well as the improvements he has made. I support the young man. I think it is still a bit too early to annoint him the franchise quarterback, however I do feel he deserves as much support as the organization can give him. It would be sweet for the Raiders and consequently the fans for him to continue to improve and become the QB we all want. Until that time there will remain the chance that there is someone better coming up and his position could be put up for competition. What if we are able to pick a true franchise QB? Either by drafting a rookie (Brady was a sixth round pick if I remember right) or having a walk-on you are providing depth as well as competition and familiarity with the plays and team. I hope he becomes what we want, but that is still up in the air. Until then let's root for him and watch him get better each game.
    Last edited by Wolfe-Raider; 10-25-2013 at 12:12 PM.

vCash
    Exactly, Wolfe. Best-case scenario is Pryor proves to be that QB and earns status as franchise QB. How could one not want that? It's just dangerous to anoint him such at this stage. Luckily, there is still considerable time for more evidenced judgements to be made with a degree of clarity more appropriate to the assessment of the most critical of positions. This perspective is not rooted in doubt, but in caution and patience in judgement.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proximo View Post
    If you feel this way I don't understand your argument for drafting Oregon's QB high next season. A bit of a contradiction no?
    That's because I made no argument to draft Mariota.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by themadstork View Post
    Pryor has played better than expected, but in the big picture...not that well at all. He has not cemented himself as a franchise QB in the least....at least not as of yet.

However, the entire offense has been mostly pathetic and that clouds the process of evaluation. Which is why its a good thing that professionals do it and not the likes of us. We'll just have to wait until draft day to see what McKenzie really thinks of Pryor. It would not surprise me to see us take a QB.

-Stork
    +1
    I see it as Carson Palmer failed as the new franchise QB, then Flynn failed as the new franchise QB and by default, we are now seeing Pryor out there. Look for our future QB in the draft 2014 is what i think. Pryor will be a very good back-up, kinda like Vince Evans of old.
    Just Win Baby

Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast