Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Jon Lester substance speculation

Boston Red Sox pitcher Jon Lester turned in a phenomenal outing against the St. Louis Cardinals in Game 1 of the World Series on Wednesday night, but some are accusing him of cheating. Tyler Melling, a pitcher who plays ball in the Cardsí minor league system, posted a photo during the game that has caused some speculation.

The only thing we can really see is that there is a discoloration between the thumb and webbing of the glove. Itís hard to tell if thereís some sort of substance there or if the leather is simply wearing out at that particular spot. Another Twitter user pointed out that Lester appeared to touch that part of his glove before gripping the ball in the 7th inning.

Naturally, Twitter has already begun buzzing about Lester cheating and putting Vaseline or pine tar on the baseball during his impressive 7 2/3 innings. Fellow Red Sox pitcher Clay Buchholz was accused of using some sort of substance to doctor the baseball earlier this season, so this is not uncharted territory for Boston. It will be interesting to see if we are given an explanation from Lester or the team on Thursday.
    http://larrybrownsports.com/baseball...e-glove/208446

Thoughts on this?

vCash
    Of course is comes from the Cardinals. I saw the Video, it doesn't show anything but lester rubbing his glove. He has done this all season if you watch his past starts.
    Plus, wouldn't the Ump have seen something on the ball when it was fouled tipped and Ross hands it to him?

vCash
    its pretty obvious from the pictures he was cheating

Thanks for the Memories Suarez!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by xnick5757 View Post
    its pretty obvious from the pictures he was cheating
    But what banned substance is green?

vCash
    If he used vaseline he wouldn't have such great command and consistency. Got to love accusations from people who don't know what vaseline does. I wouldn't be surprised if there's something to get a better grip on the ball, I'm completely fine with any pitcher doing that.

vCash
    If that is a banned substance then Lester is an idiot. The substance is SO obvious that he's likely to get caught. That alone makes me doubt that the picture represents what his accusers say.

vCash
    Statement from MLB's Pat Courtney on alleged Lester foreign substance: "We cannot draw any conclusions from this video."

-Buster Onley

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxtober View Post
    If that is a banned substance then Lester is an idiot. The substance is SO obvious that he's likely to get caught. That alone makes me doubt that the picture represents what his accusers say.
    this. no way would it be in the open that clearly if it was a banned substance.

vCash
    Yeah, to put it at the very tip of the glove is ridiculous. It's probably just a worn out part of the glove, otherwise everyone, the umps, the cards, would have easily noticed.

vCash
    Looks like worn leather to me.

vCash
    It's definitely sunscreen looking at this picture. Stupid to put it where everyone can easily see it, but that might be because no one cares since everyone uses it for grip

@JeffPassan 17m
    RT @thepainguy: So the stuff in Jon Lester's glove isn't pine tar, it's bullfrog sunscreen. Sample 2 in the pic. pic.twitter.com/x8qGjLSl6d

vCash
    So let's tweet this minor pitcher if he ever used pinetar, sunscreen or vaseline.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    So let's tweet this minor pitcher if he ever used pinetar, sunscreen or vaseline.
    He uses vaseline. At home. Alone. In private.

vCash
    The only slippery substance that was on the field was in Kosma's glove. He couldn't catch anything.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by -Lavigne43- View Post
    If he used vaseline he wouldn't have such great command and consistency. Got to love accusations from people who don't know what vaseline does. I wouldn't be surprised if there's something to get a better grip on the ball, I'm completely fine with any pitcher doing that.
    This.

He uses vaseline. At home. Alone. In private.
    And this. hahaha
    Perfection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast