Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Uncertainty in the World Series Rotation?

Lester and Lackey have been announced for the first two games of the World Series. But after that, what? Buchholz has been good for four or five innings and then unraveled quickly in both starts; velocity dropped, pitches rose in the strike zone, control fell away. Peavy was far from sharp in the ALCS. I'm sure that Pedroia mishandling the potential DP ball hurt but that did not keep Peavy out of the strike zone. He's more of a feel pitcher now and his next start will be only his third start in a month; it's tough to keep your "feel" when you throw that infrequently.

Perhaps all that adds up to this...

Lefthander Felix Doubront is on the mound at Fenway Park throwing to teammates in a simulated game with manager John Farrell and general manager Ben Cherington watching.

Such activity the night before Game 1 suggests that Doubront is being prepared in case he is needed to start a game later in the series.

Farrell did not name his Game 3 starter today. "On the weekend we'll have that a little more clear as that gets closer," he said.

He also hedged a bit when asked about the roster for the Series.

"No roster changes as of today," Farrell said. "We're going to do with the same 25 we finished the last series with, so that hasn't been adjusted."

The Red Sox have until 10 a.m. on Wednesday to submit their roster.

Further adding to the curiosity is that Matt Thornton, who is not on the roster, also is throwing. The only reason he would throw would be to get ready to be added to the roster.

Farrell denied today that Clay Buchholz is having any health issues.

"Yeah, everything is OK," he said. "We fully expect he and Jake [Peavy] to be pitching on the weekend in St. Louis."

But Buchholz was removed from Game 5 of the ALCS on Saturday after only 85 pitches over five-plus innings. He has not looked particularly crisp in his two playoff starts.

Buchholz did not attend today's mandatory press conference for the players.

UPDATE, 9:45 p.m.: Two baseball sources said that Buchholz remains in the rotation and is expected to pitch in St. Louis on Saturday or Sunday. But the Sox had enough concern to prepare Doubront.
    Boston.com

Thoughts?

vCash
    There is definitely something going on here. Something is definitely up with Clay. They are going to keep it hush until he's scratched or the series is over.

vCash
    Heyman says it's quite possible he gets scratched right off of the roster.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Rob Bradford of WEEI.com was told by one source that Clay Buchholz may be dealing with a physical issue.
    Buchholz missed more than three months due to right shoulder inflammation, but it's unclear whether his current issues are related. While Felix Doubront threw a simulated game Tuesday at Fenway Park, the Red Sox still expect Buchholz to be ready to go for the World Series. Jon Lester and John Lackey are already lined up for Games 1 and 2, so Buchholz will either go in Game 3 or 4.
    via Roto

Original source @ weei:
    According to multiple team sources, the Red Sox “fully expect” Clay Buchholz to be ready to make his next scheduled start, which would presumably be in Game 3 of the World Series against the Cardinals in St. Louis.

While a source suggested there are some physical issues Buchholz is dealing with, there is presently nothing that the Red Sox anticipate will force an alteration to the team’s postseason rotation. Manager John Farrell, in outlining the rotation for the World Series, said that John Lackey will start Game 2 with Buchholz and Jake Peavy expected to pitch Games 3 and 4, with the order yet to be announced.

vCash
    Morales remains - expect him to be in low leverage situations only.

Buchholz probably goes game 3, and works 5 2/3 or less. The game that looked like it was to our best advantage is now depending on a Buchholz/Doubront/pen fest to do the job.

If get to game 7, and Buchholz sucks in 3 then it's Doubront and Dempster in 7? Maybe Lester for 1 or 2? Spit and baling wire.... I'm not going to breathe until sometime in early November.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

vCash
    With this mess at games 3, 4, and 7 Lester and Lackey and/or the offense better be excellent.

vCash
    Buch seems to have what we in my line of work call THS...Tiny Heart Syndrome. Maybe I'm jumping the gun here...maybe it's the Sox being cautious.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Buch seems to have what we in my line of work call THS...Tiny Heart Syndrome. Maybe I'm jumping the gun here...maybe it's the Sox being cautious.
    I've been all over Buchholz his whole career for being skinny (meaning he's not physically likely to handle the demands of pitching 200+ innings per year (which he never has)), and early on being a party boy.

But this thing this year? He fell asleep wrong on his shoulder? And went DL for 3 months in what was looking like a possible Cy Young season...???

It's the WS, and a great deal of our hopes like on the slim sloped shoulders of this feral half drowned looking rat? Jesus, Mary, and Joseph.......

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    I've been all over Buchholz his whole career for being skinny (meaning he's not physically likely to handle the demands of pitching 200+ innings per year (which he never has)), and early on being a party boy.

But this thing this year? He fell asleep wrong on his shoulder? And went DL for 3 months in what was looking like a possible Cy Young season...???

It's the WS, and a great deal of our hopes like on the slim sloped shoulders of this feral half drowned looking rat? Jesus, Mary, and Joseph.......
    Yep... It's scary. Cross your fingers something pops in his brain and he shows up when it matters (ie; now).
    DodgersGM ‏@DodgersGM
    Josh Beckett grounds out to right field. #Dodgers #Cardinals

vCash
    think they just said Peavy 3 Buccholz 4 which would set up one of them for a possible game 7 start unless Lester starts on short rest.

God id love to see Peavys intensity starting a game 7

vCash
    @EvanDrellich 51s
    Buchholz said he plans to start Sunday in Game 4. Was checked out had tests its not one specific area of arm just feels like dead arm.

If he has dead arm he has no business starting a world series game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by -Lavigne43- View Post
    @EvanDrellich 51s
    Buchholz said he plans to start Sunday in Game 4. Was checked out had tests its not one specific area of arm just feels like dead arm.

If he has dead arm he has no business starting a world series game.
    If he can't get it going during his warm ups, they should scratch him and go to Duobront.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post

Agreed. Seems to me the whole point of being a ballplayer is getting chances like these, and here is his, and he doesn't feel 100% so its time to hide? Wrong city and team for that.

vCash
    Clay Buchholz said Wednesday night that he has been dealing with tightness in his right arm since his last start. But he hopes to be able to start in Game 4 of the World Series on Sunday in St. Louis.

Buchholz said a series of tests earlier this week showed no specific injury..

“I couldn’t really get loose. … It was a constant tightness that I felt. That’s all there is. I’m going to go. That’s my only goal, to be prepared to start on Sunday.”

Jake Peavy confirmed that he would start Game 3 on Saturday.

Buchholz, while confident he will be able to pitch, opened to the door to being scratched.

“That’s our goal, for me to be out there on Sunday. I’m going to do everything I can to make that happen and be well enough to go out there and give the team a chance to win,” he said. “If that’s me going out there at 90 percent, I’ll go out there at 90 percent.

“But if it does come down to the wire and I’m going to run out there and not help the team win, there’s no reason for me to run out there. The last couple of days have been the rehab and working with the trainers.”

If Buchholz cannot start, lefthander Felix Doubront could move into the rotation.

Red Sox manager John Farrell said the team would look to give Buchholz all the time off it could.

“That would point to Sunday,” he said after the Sox won Game 1 of the Series, 8-1.

Buchholz struggled after throwing 74 pitches over four innings in his first postseason start. In his second start, Buchholz wore down after throwing 62 pitches over five innings. In his third start, on Saturday, the problems popped up after 74 pitches and five innings.

In all three cases he lost command and some velocity. Buchholz missed three months this season with a shoulder injury before returning in September and making four starts.

“I’ve got maybe one start left. This is where you want to throw it all on the line. That’s sort of how I’m looking at it right now,” Buchholz said. “I haven’t been 100 percent in a long time now.”
    Boston.com

vCash
    No specific injury... No heart.

Still... obviously hoping he manages to grow a pair in time for game 4.
    DodgersGM ‏@DodgersGM
    Josh Beckett grounds out to right field. #Dodgers #Cardinals

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast