Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Off Topic Thread

Seems like we've needed one of these for a while. I'll start it.

I hope my 5+ years here will allow me to post an off topic (but personal) first post here. I was at one point a TM but went inactive for a time and lost it. Here is the reason. My dad is interviewed in the house I grew up and I'm the younger guy.

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oBJ70NQygs

http://www.foxnews.com/topics/health/mayo-clinic.htm

Get checked early, guys. I've chatted Twins with many of you for half a decade and have grown to enjoy most of your personalities. Get checked out and keep posting.
    Quote Originally Posted by viksalltheway! View Post
    guys like me would be more like an assistant to the GM

vCash
    Nice house. Woodbury kids are so rich.

Good to have an off topic thread too. I cam in this forum about two weeks ago to ask if anyone else was cheering for Detroit, but had nowhere to ask that question.

vCash
    After my sister and I moved out my parents bought materials and re-did much of the house. You're seeing a shade of the house I grew up in. Grew up by Lake Jr. High in the colby lake area - not Wedgewood.

Now I own a house in Cottage Grove.

The WS should be interesting....

vCash
    if you grew up by Lake, I assume you went to Lake, which I did as well...Also, I know you went to Woodury too...and If I recall correctly, you are two years younger than me. I graduated 2003.

I am sure our paths crossed at one point in real life, hell if we went to the same schools as each other, and are only two years apart, we might actually even know each other...also, is your sister younger or older than you? If older, her and I probably have more likelihood of knowing each other than we do.

vCash
    My sister is 3 years younger. I didn't realize you went to Lake Jr. If you were 2 years older than me you were a part (or heard of) of the black/white race fighting in high school?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WSU Tony View Post
    My sister is 3 years younger. I didn't realize you went to Lake Jr. If you were 2 years older than me you were a part (or heard of) of the black/white race fighting in high school?
    was right next to it when it happened. john p and I think the black guys name was Derek.

edit: oh high school, the one I was thinking of was at Lake, but yes, there was a lot of racial tension when I was a sophomore at Woodbury...one guy wore a confederate flag shirt, and a black guy took offense, and then there was a big brawl.

Also, do you remember the Westboro Baptist Church coming to picket our school? That one I was somewhat involved in. My brother, who is gay, was one of the students who talked to the principal about the kid who was wearing the straight pride shirt (who was a classmate of mine), about having him take it off...the story went a lot deeper than just the tshirt, such as the tshirt kid harassing gay students for weeks on end.
    Last edited by PurpleJesus; 10-23-2013 at 06:07 PM.

vCash
    I remember the confederate flag and the straight pride shirt. Your brother (and company) didn't do a very good job about pushing the harassment part of the story. I only remember the kid being hassled for the shirt. Elliot was his name I want to say? Bullying is nothing to laugh at but it wouldn't be a news story without the freedom of speech aspect.

School should have made it very clear he was being suspended because of harassment and not his shirt.

vCash
    ^media was all over my brother for his story, but they wouldnt print his side without him allowing them to print his full name, which he wouldnt do. And yes, it was Elliott.

The judge had a hard ruling. The judge said he agreed with the principal for doing what he did, but the law does not...so Elliot got a nice undisclosed settlement from the district, basically for being a bully.

While this whole thing was going on, I ran into my brothers email account, which he wasnt logged out of, and did some snooping. he had a long line of chain emails between him and Margie Phelps (Westboro Baptist Church). Made for some interesting reading.

vCash
    It's hard to prove harassment if you're unwilling to tag your full name to it. Tough situation for your brother no doubt.

vCash
    he wasnt trying to tag harassment. he just wanted the whole deal to be over. He, as with many of the other gay students at the school didnt go to the media, because they didnt want to be forced to come out to the entire world.

vCash
    Your brother seemed to have two options. One - try not to be offended by the shirt/don't show it. Two - be openly offended about the shirt and make a big deal about it. Explain how he was bullied and get the kid suspended. Being somewhere in between wasn't the place to be. I'm not saying I'd have the courage to openly fight it but trying to be discrete while making a stand doesn't gain much traction.

Kind of a bad/awkward place for him to be in.

If the WHS gay community (or the group we're talking about) didn't go to the media - was it the teachers causing the escalation?

vCash
    no, the gay community went to the principal, the principal asked him to change his shirt, Elliott made a big deal about it, and sued the district. I am pretty sure the students who asked him to have his shirt changed didnt expect such a shitstorm from him to ensue...which also lead to one of the most popular principals in WHS history to have to not so voluntarily resign.
    Last edited by PurpleJesus; 10-25-2013 at 02:12 PM.

vCash
    Elliott couldn't sue for being "asked" to change it. I'm sure something more happened. He was suspended or asked to leave for the day or asked to turn the shirt inside out or something. "Rights" aren't violated from being asked - a step or two further has to be taken.

Maybe this is why it was controversial at the time? I was pretty young when it went down... Young enough not to understand politics. Working at a law firm now I have a little different perspective than years ago.

vCash
    Eagan High class of 2011 right here.. And sounds like some serious stuff that went down at Woodbury.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WSU Tony View Post
    Elliott couldn't sue for being "asked" to change it. I'm sure something more happened. He was suspended or asked to leave for the day or asked to turn the shirt inside out or something. "Rights" aren't violated from being asked - a step or two further has to be taken.

Maybe this is why it was controversial at the time? I was pretty young when it went down... Young enough not to understand politics. Working at a law firm now I have a little different perspective than years ago.
    k, I guess he wasnt asked to change his shirt, he was told to change his shirt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast