Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Paul George Defensive Player of the Year?

He says that's one of his goals this season. Is it realistic? I'm of the opinion it's pretty much a pre-determined toss up between two guys and its their award to lose. Could George pull a upset?
    Last edited by Tony_Starks; 10-21-2013 at 06:20 PM.

vCash
    I think he can emerge as the best perimeter defender in the game possibly but it's historically a bigman award. They are likely going to give it to the big they feel has the most defensive impact inside.

vCash
    No, there are other guys who can defend better than him if we're talking about wing players.

vCash
    Not as long as Lebron is healthy. As it is I think he's a good, not great defender. He's versatile, which counts for a lot, but he makes plenty of mistakes and doesn't put up gaudy simple-box-score numbers to sway the media, who I believe votes on this award.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post
    Not as long as Lebron is healthy. As it is I think he's a good, not great defender. He's versatile, which counts for a lot, but he makes plenty of mistakes and doesn't put up gaudy simple-box-score numbers to sway the media, who I believe votes on this award.
    Lebron has become a very OVERRATED defender like Kobe did a few years back. When guys like Lebron and Kobe decide to lock on defensively they are incredible BUT that rarely happens. In general I wouldn't even say Lebron is consistently a top 5 perimeter defender and I think George will surpass him defensively in the next year or two, even though George is an overrated defender right now as well.

vCash
    You have to remember that it's the media voting for the award, so all types of stupidity can occur.

Hibbert was a better shot blocker, better rebounder, and had a better D-rating, while playing for the #1 defense in the league, and somehow he didn't even crack top 10 in DPOY voting. How or why media members had the idea that Gasol was the best defensive player, but Hibbert wasn't close is beyond me. I will never ever understand that one. I honestly don't even get how Paul George finished higher than Hibbert.

vCash
    KL will win this along with MIP this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86 View Post
    Lebron has become a very OVERRATED defender like Kobe did a few years back. When guys like Lebron and Kobe decide to lock on defensively they are incredible BUT that rarely happens. In general I wouldn't even say Lebron is consistently a top 5 perimeter defender and I think George will surpass him defensively in the next year or two, even though George is an overrated defender right now as well.
    I don't disagree that Lebron is overrated defensively. But it's the media that overrates him, and it's the media that does the voting.

vCash
    didn't he have most defensive win shares this past season ?

vCash
    If the Miami HEAT were the 9th best defensive team, while being the worst rebounding team in the league, and LeBron is overrated... how exactly did they hit that ranking? Mario Chalmers?

I think LeBron is ranked where he needs to be, one of the best all around defenders in the league. Shot blocking, passing lanes, pick and roll, man to man, positions 1-5, he is most definitely a top 5 defender in the league.

vCash
    Overall their cohesion and team defense is great. They are a defensive minded team at the core. Although you can still be overrated and be a great defender. I think Lebron is a top 5-10 perimeter defender but is overrated in the sense that he's in DPOY talks when he shouldn't be.

Defensive versatility and flashy plays aren't enough for me. Consistency of defending at an elite level is everything in terms of value IMO.

vCash
    i'd still take Jimmy over LeBron ( on defensive end ! ), guys like Iggy , Allen , Kawhi , George come to mind as better defenders than LeBron . ( George is arguable )

vCash
    I agree Lebrons defense is overrated. He's a excellent team defender and can wreak havoc playing the free safety role in passing lanes but when it comes to lock down defenders he's not that guy.

That being said George would have to step his D up to old school Ron Artest levels to sway the media.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Starks View Post
    I agree Lebrons defense is overrated. He's a excellent team defender and can wreak havoc playing the free safety role in passing lanes but when it comes to lock down defenders he's not that guy.

That being said George would have to step his D up to old school Ron Artest levels to sway the media.
    Yup agreed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86 View Post
    Overall their cohesion and team defense is great. They are a defensive minded team at the core. Although you can still be overrated and be a great defender. I think Lebron is a top 5-10 perimeter defender but is overrated in the sense that he's in DPOY talks when he shouldn't be.

Defensive versatility and flashy plays aren't enough for me. Consistency of defending at an elite level is everything in terms of value IMO.
    The defensive player of the year award should be pretty simple criteria for me... who had the biggest defensive impact on the best defensive teams.

And going by that criteria, LeBron definitely should be in the top 5 DPOY discussion.

A lot of people want to go into this "purist" nonsense of guys who defend every possession, etc.. But to me that's garbage. A guy like Tony Allen might be one of the best defense talented players, but at the same time should have no business in DPOY discussion, because I'm not sure how much impact you can have when your own coach only trusts you enough to play you 26 minutes a night. You realistically cannot have DPOY impact playing roughly half the minutes in a game. Or a different way to look at it is, if you defensive impact was that great, your coach should be itching to play you more minutes per game.
    Last edited by beasted86; 10-21-2013 at 07:11 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast