Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Who is the greatest player to never advance past the second round of the post-season?

Who is the greatest player to never advance past the second round of the post-season? Before last post-season, Tracy McGrady was the most notorious example of a HOF level talent never getting out of the first round, and to much debate. But I can't say I've ever seen a thread or discussion dedicated to conference championship virgins. Who've you got?

10 days until 2013-2014 tip off.
    Last edited by Bruno87; 10-19-2013 at 09:03 PM.
    Dirk dominating at age 35

vCash
    Not the greatest but Chris Paul has yet to make it.
    I survived Stephon Marbury's inability
    Jason Kidd, Kenyon Martin, Richard Jefferson era
    I survived them all leaving, a 12-70 season and not getting the #1 pick
    Mikhail Prokhorov buys the Nets
    I survived Melodrama
    Deron Williams traded here
    I survived 248 games missed due to injury, 5 d-league call-ups, 14 different lineups in ONE season, Johan Petro
    I survived Dwightmare
    I survived Avery & PJC's rotations
    THE Offseason - Success TBD

vCash
    I think Chris Mullin as well.

vCash
    never mind 98 pacers. went to ECF but never went beyond.

vCash
    Yao never got past the second round, although he was fighting for it with all he had before breaking the foot in 2009 vs LAL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruno87 View Post
    Yao never got past the second round, although he was fighting for it with all he had before breaking the foot in 2009 vs LAL.
    I wouldn't consider him one of the greatest players though.
    I survived Melodrama
    I survived 248 games missed due to injury, 5 d-league call-ups, 14 different lineups in ONE season, Johan Petro
    I survived Dwightmare

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyPalahniuk View Post
    I wouldn't consider him one of the greatest players though.
    I wouldn't consider him a top 50 all-time guy. But I just looked at the top 75 players in WS/48 in NBA history, Chris Paul and Yao Ming are the only two players in the top 75 to never advance past the second round of the post-season. So I guess the question is more so who are the best players to never get out of the second round, but the criteria doesn't have to be top 50 all time talent, just what other notable talents, players with a few all-star games under the belts, ect.

Elton Brand is another all-star level player who never cracked into a conference championship (he's 77th on the all-time WS/48 list).

And my money is on Chris Paul getting the Clippers to the WCF this year if they're healthy (I dont think they will be and that's why I've got a OKC/SAS WCF as my prediction). If he doesn't with this roster and this coach, it's going to become a really interesting discussion as to why such a statistically dominant and brilliant floor general can't get his team into a conference championship. He's a had some poor rosters and some injury problems in the past, but this should be his year. I think he either gets over the hump or he's held back by injury again.
    Last edited by Bruno87; 10-19-2013 at 09:36 PM.

vCash
    I wouldn't consider him a top 50 all-time guy. But I just looked at the top 75 players in WS/48 in NBA history, Chris Paul and Yao Ming are the only two players in the top 75 to never advance past the second round of the post-season. So I guess the question is more so who are the best players to never get out of the second round, but the criteria doesn't have to be top 50 all time talent, just what other notable talents, players with a few all-star games under the belts, ect.

Elton Brand is another all-star level player who never cracked into a conference championship (he's 77th on the all-time WS/48 list).

And my money is on Chris Paul getting the Clippers to the WCF this year if they're healthy (I dont think they will be and that's why I've got a OKC/SAS WCF as my prediction). If he doesn't with this roster and this coach, it's going to become a really interesting discussion as to why such a statistically dominant and brilliant floor general can't get his team into a conference championship. He's a had some poor rosters and some injury problems in the past, but this should be his year. I think he either gets over the hump or he's held back by injury again.
    Well it makes sense that you wouldn't see that many players when you use Win Shares as your criteria ha. But yeah then Paul is probably the greatest and Yao/Brand fit in the next tier.

George Gervin & Pete Maravich never have either.
    I survived Melodrama
    I survived Dwightmare

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyPalahniuk View Post
    Well it makes sense that you wouldn't see that many players when you use Win Shares as your criteria ha. But yeah then Paul is probably the greatest and Yao/Brand fit in the next tier.

George Gervin & Pete Maravich never have either.
    yeah i guess that was self defeating haha.

wow man, pistol, nice find. i'm seeing that gervin made it one year (i've noticed a lot of players making it once).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by asandhu23 View Post
    I think Chris Mullin as well.
    I think Mullin got to the ECF's on the Pacers with Reggie.

Pretty sure the answer's gotta be CP3 here. But he's still got a lot of years ahead of him, and there's a good chance of that changing this year.

Out of retired guys, really not sure. Maybe some beast from the 60's who couldn't get to the finals when there were only 3 rounds. Loophole ftw.

vCash
    yeah i guess that was self defeating haha.

wow man, pistol, nice find. i'm seeing that gervin made it one year (i've noticed a lot of players making it once).
    yup you're right. forgot that there were only 2 rounds before the finals back then.
    I survived Melodrama
    I survived Dwightmare

vCash
    Pistol isn't better than Paul so Cp3

Quote Originally Posted by rhymeratic View Post
    Shoot I'd even put up Glen Rice and Mitch Richmond in their prime at or slightly better than James. Even Glenn Robinson who is a forgotten beast.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveMeOrHateMe View Post
    Kobe GOAT LOL
    ^Finally got one.

vCash
    CP should be mentioned. He's a tad overrated in the general scheme. He's been outplayed or offset by basically every pg he should dominate as the best at his position. Parker, Billups, and Conley come to mind as besting him because he should have destroyed them as the consensus number 1 pg in the league. But he's a RS player

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kblo247 View Post
    CP should be mentioned. He's a tad overrated in the general scheme. He's been outplayed or offset by basically every pg he should dominate as the best at his position. Parker, Billups, and Conley come to mind as besting him because he should have destroyed them as the consensus number 1 pg in the league. But he's a RS player
    what do you mean should be mentioned? 4/5 posters in this thread already did.
    I survived Melodrama
    I survived Dwightmare

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kblo247 View Post
    21/10/5 on a 57% TS while leading the NBA in PER in 3 of his 5 playoff appearances. WinShares in 2 of 5. Not too bad of stats for a regular season player.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast