Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Reality setting in for Jennings?

Joking or not, I think most of us saw this coming. Granted right now he could helps us, still not worth what the Vikings were willing to pay him.

Link

Greg Jennings caught passes from Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers and Matt Flynn over seven seasons in Green Bay. He is about to huddle up with his third Vikings quarterback in the past four games.

"If somebody would have told me that, I don't know if I would have come," a smiling Jennings said Friday.

He was joking. A sly bit of sarcasm for the media at the end of several tense weeks as Minnesota's quarterback carousel stopped on newly acquired Josh Freeman for Monday night's game against the New York Giants.

Freeman, Tampa Bay's 2009 first-round draft pick, will make his Vikings debut two weeks after being signed to a one-year, $3 million pro-rated contract when the Buccaneers released him following a drawn-out public spat with the coaches and front office.

"It's exciting to see what he can do with the tools in his toolbox," Jennings said.

Jennings, who has caught 20 passes for 286 yards and two touchdowns from Christian Ponder and Matt Cassel this season, has been "awed" by Freeman's work ethic since joining the team Oct. 9, plus his ability to absorb the Vikings' offense despite limited time to master the playbook. And there are Freeman's physical gifts.

"He throws kind of (with) a wind-up, and it's a heavier ball with lots of velocity," Jennings said. "It sneaks up on you. It's one of those balls when you turn around, it's there.

"Smart quarterback. He's learning the system, picking it up really quick. He's in the building day and night, so you like to see that out of a quarterback."

Jennings spoke candidly during the offseason about Ponder's hesitation in the pocket and unwillingness to trust his mechanics and instincts to deliver accurate passes to his receivers.

During training camp in Mankato, Jennings and Ponder bonded in Bible study in their dorm rooms, played pitch and catch after practices, poured over film together and learned about each other's personal lives sharing a lunch table, trying to develop chemistry that would translate to production on the field.

It never did. And now the Vikings (1-4) are staring into the abyss, hoping to salvage their season in the Meadowlands and develop a quarterback for this season and beyond.

"You've got to fight through the adversity," Jennings said. "You've got to be able to adjust when we're making midseason adjustments, and we've been making adjustments at the quarterback position and we have to rhythm-up with him."

Follow Brian Murphy at twitter.com/murphPPress. Murphy talks Vikings at 1:35 p.m. Mondays on WCCO-AM 830.

vCash
    I think he would prefer to be here but he isn't going to come out and say it. He is still going to play off his loyalty to the Vikings regardless of his production and team record.

It's just time to move on from this.

vCash
    Freeman will probably have 300 yards and Jennings will score twice.

vCash
    He's not going to regret it because all he wants is to be the number one receiver. Jennings is the type of guy that would be okay with habitually missing the playoffs as long as he leads his team in receptions, yards and touchdowns. Either that, or he's retarded and a pathological liar that is convincing himself that he made the right decision as far as talent and chances to win the Super Bowl are concerned.

The sad thing is he would have averaged 70 receptions, 900 yards and probably about 8 touchdowns a year over the next five years here at worst. And that's with Jones, Nelson, Cobb and Finley because he was the most well-rounded of all our receivers I think. Except, clearly, for his brain and life decision making.

vCash
    I don't think its really about any of the things you guys are saying. The guy made a decision to try and get paid as much as he could, and the Vikings were the high bid. I think every athlete understands that sometimes you sacrifice opportunities to go after titles for money and vice versa. He won one superbowl in Green Bay, and theres plenty of really good players that never win one. He'll miss Green Bay, he'll miss having a guy like Rodgers throwing him the ball and he'll miss being a superbowl contender... but he chose money over all of that and he knows it.

vCash
    The grass isn't always greener...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    I don't think its really about any of the things you guys are saying. The guy made a decision to try and get paid as much as he could, and the Vikings were the high bid. I think every athlete understands that sometimes you sacrifice opportunities to go after titles for money and vice versa. He won one superbowl in Green Bay, and theres plenty of really good players that never win one. He'll miss Green Bay, he'll miss having a guy like Rodgers throwing him the ball and he'll miss being a superbowl contender... but he chose money over all of that and he knows it.
    This is my thoughts exactly, & I don't blame him at all. Was a good packer but now he's not. Like Bigcheese said time to move on, have a good life Mr. Jennings.

vCash
    If someone offers me twice the amount of money to do the exact same job as I do now, I pack my bags and move too.

vCash
    The Packers offered him 4 million less than the Vikings. Is anybody here really saying they'd take 14 million over 10 million by going to Minnesota instead of Green Bay? A non-pro bowl QB over an MVP QB? A recent Super Bowl win and chance for another for a team that hasn't been close to the Super Bowl for twenty years? Riiiiiiiiiight.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tongue-Splitter View Post
    The Packers offered him 4 million less than the Vikings. Is anybody here really saying they'd take 14 million over 10 million by going to Minnesota instead of Green Bay? A non-pro bowl QB over an MVP QB? A recent Super Bowl win and chance for another for a team that hasn't been close to the Super Bowl for twenty years? Riiiiiiiiiight.
    The Packers offered him a deal this past off season? I don't think I knew that, but I'd heard we offered him a deal worth more than what he ended up getting last off season... but he turned it down because he was trying to get paid like a top 5 receiver and he thought he could get it with a good year. Then he ended up getting hurt and missing a lot of the season.

vCash
    All of this sounds like a guy who's already won a super bowl and doesn't feel like he needs to be "in the best environment" to win another versus getting paid right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLombardi View Post
    All of this sounds like a guy who's already won a super bowl and doesn't feel like he needs to be "in the best environment" to win another versus getting paid right now.
    Jennings comments and body language thus far would contradict that, in all honesty.

vCash
    money always seems to be a priority ovr winning after you get your ring. it's not exactly a surprise the vikings are struggling at qb, it was a good bet when he signed there. if he does actually regret it, thats on him
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 11 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals (May 2014)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewer94 View Post
    Jennings comments and body language thus far would contradict that, in all honesty.
    How so? Is he publicly bashing the Vikings, their QB's, or any of the moves they're currently making? The quote you highlighted was probably said in jest considering he was smiling and joking around during the interview. I mean if anything the article makes it sound like he's praising Freeman and can't wait to spend the rest of the season with him?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLombardi View Post
    How so? Is he publicly bashing the Vikings, their QB's, or any of the moves they're currently making? The quote you highlighted was probably said in jest considering he was smiling and joking around during the interview. I mean if anything the article makes it sound like he's praising Freeman and can't wait to spend the rest of the season with him?
    Need more be said?

Quote Originally Posted by Tram0n man View Post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast