Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Who plays SS and 3B for the Red Sox?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Xander Bogaerts

14 93.33%
  • Stephen Drew

11 73.33%
  • Will Middlebrooks

2 13.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Who Starts at SS/3B?

The offense has obviously gone silent against the dominant pitching of the Tigers. It reminds me a little of the 2005 White Sox run to the WS title. Still, the left side of the infield has been utterly lost at the plate this postseason. Drew striking out with a runner on third last night and less than two outs has been a microcosm of the struggles. Overall the left side of the infield is 7/51 in October and has left 27 men on base. If this lineup needs a jumpstart, then this seems to be the most logical place to start... or does it?

What combination would you use for SS and 3B?

vCash
    While Drew has been lost, I went with Bogaerts (3B) and Drew (SS). It's a bit easier to sit WMB and I think that the DP combination has worked pretty well defensively.

vCash
    Drew and WMB have both sucked. Drew had a good season and is good defensively. WMB had a dreadful season and is questionable defensively at times. It's an easy decision.

vCash
    Mix the lineup, Victorino need to get out the 2-hole to get Ortiz up one. Middlebrooks have zero business playing the rest of this series.

vCash
    I disagree with everyone ragging on Middlebrooks. I agree that you probably put in Bogaerts at 3rd and Drew at SS but I dont think its as obvious a choice as people are making it out to be. Everyone is beating up on WMB for being bad defensively and not hitting but Drew has been pretty awful at the plate as well as has looked pretty shaky on a couple of groundballs and throws over to 1st.

For me it comes down to the fact that I have more faith in Drew drawing a walk or eating up some pitches before he strikes out whereas Middlebrooks is more likely to chase 3 bad pitches before heading back to the dugout.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    Mix the lineup, Victorino need to get out the 2-hole to get Ortiz up one. Middlebrooks have zero business playing the rest of this series.
    I agree with the bolded statement above. Personally I move Pedroia to the number 2 slot and move up Ortiz and Napoli to 3 and 4. Something like this.....

Ellsbury
    Pedroia
    Ortiz
    Napoli
    Nava
    Salty
    Victorino
    Bogaerts
    Drew

I think this helps breakup the strikeout brigade of Napoli, Gomes, Salty, Drew, WMB by inserting Nava and Bogaerts who have both seen some success against the Tigers in their limited atbats in this series (Combined 3 for 8).
    Last edited by StryderSox; 10-17-2013 at 01:01 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StryderSox View Post
    I disagree with everyone ragging on Middlebrooks. I agree that you probably put in Bogaerts at 3rd and Drew at SS but I dont think its as obvious a choice as people are making it out to be. Everyone is beating up on WMB for being bad defensively and not hitting but Drew has been pretty awful at the plate as well as has looked pretty shaky on a couple of groundballs and throws over to 1st.

For me it comes down to the fact that I have more faith in Drew drawing a walk or eating up some pitches before he strikes out whereas Middlebrooks is more likely to chase 3 bad pitches before heading back to the dugout.
    Drew also made that very nice base running play, and his error led to nothing. Drew is a vet and WMB is not.

WMB makes a better "impact" SLG PH than Drew IMO as well.

Also Gomes has started in both wins and not in both losses. I expect to see Gomes starting more, and also coming in to PH when he is seated, and maybe staying in the game too.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Drew also made that very nice base running play, and his error led to nothing. Drew is a vet and WMB is not.

WMB makes a better "impact" SLG PH than Drew IMO as well.

Also Gomes has started in both wins and not in both losses. I expect to see Gomes starting more, and also coming in to PH when he is seated, and maybe staying in the game too.
    I get what you are saying about WMB and Drew..... my point is that it isn't as much of a no brainer as people are making it out to be. Its not like one guy was clearly better than the other in this series so far. I would still be more comfortable with Nava starting in LF though and having Gomes as a late inning pinch hitter when we have something going on the bases.

vCash
    Its definitely Xander 3B Drew SS.

I like the idea of moving Victorino down and Pedroia Ortiz up. The strike outs are killing us.

I believe Xander has a big night. Doesn't mean 4 hrs. However a hit and a walk. I just feel like he will be on base at least twice.

vCash
    Farrell's vote:
    Jacoby Ellsbury CF
    Shane Victorino RF
    Dustin Pedroia 2B
    David Ortiz DH
    Mike Napoli 1B
    Jonny Gomes LF
    Stephen Drew SS
    Xander Bogaerts 3B
    David Ross C
    Boston.com

vCash
    I might have considered going with Nava and Gomes at the corners. Victorino has looked brutal at the plate. He just gets off speed stuff and he can't make contact. They found out how to get him out righty on righty.

vCash
    Jacoby Ellsbury CF
    Shane Victorino RF
    Dustin Pedroia 2B
    David Ortiz DH
    Mike Napoli 1B
    Jonny Gomes LF
    Stephen Drew SS
    Xander Bogaerts 3B
    David Ross C

JF's way of making changes w/o looking like he is in a panic. If we lose and SV is brutal, SV is not batting 2nd in game 6.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Jacoby Ellsbury CF
    Shane Victorino RF
    Dustin Pedroia 2B
    David Ortiz DH
    Mike Napoli 1B
    Jonny Gomes LF
    Stephen Drew SS
    Xander Bogaerts 3B
    David Ross C

JF's way of making changes w/o looking like he is in a panic. If we lose and SV is brutal, SV is not batting 2nd in game 6.
    I agree that SV shouldn't be batting 2nd, but JF does not have the "cojones" to remove him from that spot.

vCash
    Please, please, let Xander start again in game 6. Might be time to give Drew a night off and have Xander at SS with Middlebrooks at 3rd.

vCash
    I'm kinda curious why we haven't seen Carp. I would have PH him instead of WMB.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast