Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

PSD's Top 10 Goalies: #5

1) Henrik Lundqvist, New York Rangers - Sweden
    2) Jonathan Quick, Los Angeles Kings - United States
    3) Tuukka Rask, Boston Bruins - Finland
    4) Pekka Rinne, Nashville Predators - Finland

vCash
    Jimmy Howard. Back-to-back seasons of posting top five numbers for goaltenders. He's posted 3 really great seasosn in 4 in the NHL. The year he didn't was a .909% which is still average-ish. His defense was really bad and he was a HUGE reason Detroit made the playoffs and went to game 7 against Chicago. He won games in both series'.

Jimmy for me

vCash
    i went with niemi

vCash
    I don't care if I'm a homer, I'm going Niemi. He's proven himself to be a top 5 in the league

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    I don't care if I'm a homer, I'm going Niemi. He's proven himself to be a top 5 in the league
    Two seasons with a save percentage in the .920s.. Jimmy has 3. Jimmy has had a better career thus far. Niemi and Howard's been season are about the same. Howard had the worse team and by far the worse of the defense. He won games more often than Niemi. Howard's just flat out more proven. So this is the 5th spot, Howard's been better, so how has Niemi proven himself as a top 5 netminder?

vCash
    I went with Bob because Vezina.

vCash
    Howard for me. He's consistently won games for us throughout his career, people just didn't want to admit it because we had Lidstrom, when in reality the defense wasn't even that great with Lidstrom on the team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trueblue2 View Post
    And there's no shame in banging fat chicks. They're normally down to do anything and theyll build your confidence. Even Mike trout had to tear up the minors before he got called up to the show.

EDIT: do not use tinder to tear up minors, you will go to jail.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BranWingss View Post
    Two seasons with a save percentage in the .920s.. Jimmy has 3. Jimmy has had a better career thus far. Niemi and Howard's been season are about the same. Howard had the worse team and by far the worse of the defense. He won games more often than Niemi. Howard's just flat out more proven. So this is the 5th spot, Howard's been better, so how has Niemi proven himself as a top 5 netminder?
    I don't think Howard's more proven. Behind Quick, Niemi's been as reliable as it gets in the playoffs these past couple seasons. I'm not saying he's the lone #2 spot, but at worst he's tied for it. He's constantly kept us in games in which we were dominated on the ice.

We definitely have the better team right now, but the past few seasons our defense has been pretty soft. We have a lot of blocked shots, but we also have a lot of blown assignments on the defensive end, and Niemi routinely bails us out of them.

He's also been VERY consistent, I can't recall him every playing bad. Really its almost only point blank shots, screens, and rebounds that get in. He probably needs to do better at controlling rebounds.

He's as good as it gets when it comes to positioning himself and reading plays so he doesn't get the highlight reel saves, cuz he doesn't have to. Also, I think that leads to less saves on the score sheet, so often players shoot open shots wide because he completely closes off the posts. His lateral movement is second to none.

I like Howard, I remember a few years ago in the det sj series I saw him grow up right in front of my eyes, and I knew he was championship caliber goalie, but I'd take Niemi over him for a playoff run.

vCash
    No bias I took the two I would have voted for and looked at this

Player 1 4 seasons
    GP 63 SV% .924 GAA 2.26
    GP 63 SV% .908 GAA 2.79
    GP 57 SV% .920 GAA 2.13
    GP 42 SV% .923 GAA 2.13

Player 2 4 seasons
    GP 39 SV% .912 GAA 2.25
    GP 60 SV% .920 GAA 2.38
    GP 68 SV% .915 GAA 2.42
    GP 43 SV% .924 GAA 2.16

Season 1 goes to player 1. Season 2 player 2. Seasons 3-4 go to player 1 by slight margin. Jimmy Howard wins.

vCash
    Don't you think stats are kinda a wash at this level? If Quick had inferior stats to those two you posted, no way I'd say that makes the other two better...

Its a lot to do with opinion obviously. I don't think my bias lies in me being a sharks fan and wanting to put a shark on the list, I think it has more to do with me having seen A LOT of Niemi, while just seeing Howard here and there.

I def feel like when the post season comes around, after quick he's as reliable as it can get. He's completely zero'd in in crunch time. And while I've seen other goalies have a better game than Niemi, I haven't seen any as consistent. A spectacular game is all gravy, but IMO in a 7 game series I think a solid reliable goalie is worth more.
    Last edited by nastynice; 10-16-2013 at 01:02 AM.

vCash
    Howard's first two rounds of the 12/13 playoffs were the best by any goaltender. He won games. Numbers or not, he won them. We were outplayed by both Anaheim and Chicago.

vCash
    To be completely honest I would take probably 4-5 guys here

vCash
    These polls always turn into a favorites poll lol

vCash
    This is where it gets messy lol I'm taking Howard though

vCash
    the fact that bobrovsky has any votes is stupid.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast