Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

The Defense Is Good Again!!!!!

I know the offense isn't as fun to watch as it has been in the past this year I think our defense really makes this team exciting to watch. I like how they're so much more creative than they have been in the past few years. Looking back on the '10-'12 defenses they just seem so vanilla compared to what they're doing this year. And that's a product of the talent level being that much higher.

Talib, Dennard and Arrington is a pretty awesome top CB trio. Talib is getting all the attention but Dennard is emerging as a top notch #2 CB this year IMO. He's taken a huge step forward in year 2. We've gone over here before how good Arrington is in the slot (and he's even looked better to me in the situations where he ends up outside, usually because Talib is shadowing someone in the slot).

At safety, Gregory has looked very solid now that he's surrounded by more talent and being asked to do less. McCourty isn't making as many flashy plays as I thought he would but he's been playing very well within the system IMO. I was expecting him to be one of the playmakers this year but it looks like they've used him more as the safety net so they can be more aggressive near the LOS. Everyone always talks about Jones and of course Talib when they look for what's changed with the D but I think McCourty shifting to S has made close to as much a difference. He's smart enough to run all the different coverages BB wants to and his CB coverage skills

Mayo, Spikes and Hightower may not be the best in pass coverage but they're not awful either. And they do a great job vs. the run. Spikes may have a huge weakness in coverage but he's been able to largely cover up for the loss of an all pro NT against the run as a LB. That's pretty impressive. In an ideal world you have better DTs so you don't need that but that isn't our reality this year. Long term the fit most likely isn't there but having him is one of the major reasons we have a top D after Wilfork went down so thank God we have him this year!

Jones I still don't think has maxed out but he's definitely improved over last year (even the impressive start he had). He's not one of the elite DEs yet but I expect him to be eventually. Ninkovich on the other side is one of those assignment guys that opens things up for others. One play that stood out to me was in BUF opening day. After starting an upfield pass rush he was covering a back sneaking out of the backfield on a block-n-go and he started running on a backwards angle to get the angle to catch him after a dump off pass. It ended up saving the play for us. It was just a great awareness play. Teams have kind of gotten more creative with counters and Ninkovich is great at defending that stuff.

At DT we're pretty weak, no way around it. We're picking them up in other areas though. Our DEs play the run well and I talked about Spikes' presence. The CBs and McCourty have been so good that we've actually been able to run a good amount of 3 CB, 1 S so we sort of get a nickel package but still can keep extra run stuffers in to help. The CBs also do a pretty good job in run support. Jones kicking inside in the nickel package is helping to provide some of the up the middle pass rush. Hopefully Kelly comes back to take it to another level.

We have so many threads complaining about the offense so I just wanted to make one where we could talk about how we finally have a good defense again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

vCash
    Couldn't agree more.

I haven't had this much fun watching our defense since we actually had one (2005). In '07, our D was good but our Offense just demolished people.

It's encouraging that even with the injuries, guys like Vellano and Jones step up big.

vCash
    A good defense? Bah why stop there. I'm saying it- this defense is ELITE. Need proof? We just held one of the elite QBs in the league (and one who had his way with us in 09) to under 50% completion%. Think about that- we're talking about a guy who set the record for completion% for a season. And I was looking over his game log- since he came to the Saints, he's only had 2 other games where his comp% was less than 50% and one was back in 06 when he wasn't as great as he is now. And that game in 06 was also the last time where he was held under 50% comp% and under 20 completions. It just doesn't happen to Brees, not with the weapons he has. And speaking of those weapons, holding Jimmy Graham catchless? Are you ****ing serious? This guy was ******** on the league. Comes in leading the league in receiving yards and we hold him catchless. Hasn't happened since 2010 when he was a rookie in his first 2 games...And then there's also the fact that the Saints #2 receiving option- Colston had 1 reception for 11 yards. Again, simply amazing. Some of the stuff the defense did yesterday just does not happen to the Saints. Ever. And we aren't talking about one of those ****** *** offenses like the Jets or Bucs where you can say "yeah but the QB sucks". Nope, Brees is one of the best and our defense made him look bad. Jimmy Graham is one of the best receiving options, if not the best and likewise, we made him look real bad.

I don't know what else this D needs to prove to show we're elite. Are we the 85 Bears? Obviously not. But defenses like those don't exist anymore. By my definition, elite is among the top 3 or 4 and I really believe we have one of the top 3 or 4 defenses right now. Only 2 that I see that are probably better are Seattle and KC (both do have more talent) and yet have we seen either of those teams do what we just did to Brees yet? Nope.
    Patriots Forum HOF Class of 2011

vCash
    And we're doing it without our best defensive player

how ****ing scary is that?

#BostonStrong

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    And we're doing it without our best defensive player

how ****ing scary is that?
    To be fair, Wilfork is a lot more important to our run D and should the wrong matchup present itself in the playoffs, that could be a serious problem. I am worried about our run D going forward but considering the NFL is a passing league, I'd much rather have a kickass pass defense then a great run D.

But I'm not sure it's a coincidence that in this 3 game stretch we just played, we lost to the team with the best D and run game as opposed to the 2 high flying passing attacks. We now matchup better vs the Peyton's, Brees, Ryan's of the world but if we run into a team that likes to run it down your throat, we could be in trouble.

Also, not sure that Wilfork is our best player on defense. I think with the way Talib has played, I have to give it to him right now. And I think he's probably more important (though again, that depends on the matchup). This team could find itself in a situation where Denver and Indy are preferable to them than Cincy or KC for example, just because our run defense isn't good enough while Denver and Indy are more aerial shows. (don't see either team consistently running down our throat because it's not their identity, kinda like the Saints last night, who prolly could've just kept rushing the ball on us earlier but chose not too cause they're pass happy.)
    Patriots Forum HOF Class of 2011

vCash
    I still think Wilfork is our best defensive player just because he has a massive impact he has on an offensive line, and almost requires a double team every time, running play or passing play.

#BostonStrong

vCash
    They were really fun to watch in person this week! Really awesome. Gives us a chance to win every week.
    Kaleb Tarczewski Watch 2013
    FG%: 54.9 Pts: 10.0 Reb: 6.5 Blk: 1.0

Florida Gators. Arizona Wildcats. New England Patriots. Boston Bruins. Boston Celtics. Boston Red Sox. #14 Tony Stewart. #42 Kyle Larson

Follow me on Twitter @derrike
    2013 PSD Patriots Forum Fantasy Football Champion

vCash

The Defense Is Good Again!!!!!

The defense is good but our offense is putting way to much pressure on them to shut offenses down, which leads to exhaustion and injuries for the defense. This offense needs to consistently stay on the field to give the defense rest, and i dont want to hear how gronk is gonna do that for us, he will help, but we still need a wide receiver that doesnt consistently drop. Anything less in an injustice for brady and what he has done for the organization

vCash
    I agree this D is great to watch. I always feel like they are going to come through. A lot of talent and chemistry with this group. Obviously the D is way ahead of the O. Personally I would much rather have this problem. I think the O is right around the corner. The O has had the growing pains simply because they don't have the same chemistry due to new faces or injuries. It is improving though and has a huge upside when players return. Look how Ridley played this week just one guy returned and he was much more effective than the others. As people return we are going even up the D and O and punish teams. The rest of the AFC knows this for sure.

vCash
    Chandler Jones is beasting all over left tackles. Him and Talib have helped turn the pass defense around.

vCash
    Beyond the brilliant individual performances of players like Talib and Jones, I think you have to look at continuity as a big factor. The communication has been great in the secondary this season so there haven't been massive coverage breakdowns like in the past. McCourty deserves a ton of credit for that, and he has definitely turned into one of the better safeties in the NFL.

It will be a big test to see how the defense responds with Mayo out for the season though. He's a terrific player, and it will be interesting to see how BB and Patricia fill his void.
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011