Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    966
    vCash
    1500

    about last night

    Ok... So, i've said time and time again that i love leyland as a Manager. However, last night was awful decision after awful decision beginning in the bottom of the 8th. We all know what happened, but the decision on which pitchers to use was just awful. I've read today that Scherzer said he was done, and when a pitcher says that, you have to make a change. He's pitched masterfully over the season, and that game, but after 108 pitches, if the guys says he's done, he's done. Verlander did the same thing in Game 5 of the series against the A's.

    So, for that game, i'm with the guys on here that give Leyland a hard time. Thought it was just awful the way the 8th inning was managed from a pitching standpoint.

    But, what can the Tigers say for themselves? They have a split going into three games at home with Verlander, Fister and Sanchez going. That sets up Scherzer for a game 6 and Verlander for Game 7, if necessary.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    1,269
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by smarkow View Post
    Ok... So, i've said time and time again that i love leyland as a Manager. However, last night was awful decision after awful decision beginning in the bottom of the 8th. We all know what happened, but the decision on which pitchers to use was just awful. I've read today that Scherzer said he was done, and when a pitcher says that, you have to make a change. He's pitched masterfully over the season, and that game, but after 108 pitches, if the guys says he's done, he's done. Verlander did the same thing in Game 5 of the series against the A's.

    So, for that game, i'm with the guys on here that give Leyland a hard time. Thought it was just awful the way the 8th inning was managed from a pitching standpoint.

    But, what can the Tigers say for themselves? They have a split going into three games at home with Verlander, Fister and Sanchez going. That sets up Scherzer for a game 6 and Verlander for Game 7, if necessary.
    I love Leyland too but like you said his decision making baffles me sometimes and last night was prime example. He said he would never bring in Benoit to pitch in the 8th again for a 4 out save. Yet we all know the answer to that question. Benoit should have never pitched to Ortiz in that type of situation.

    AAL: Ndamukong Suh
    Combined Tackles: 46
    Solo Tackles: 38
    Assisted Tackles: 8
    Sacks: 8.5

    Favorite Teams
    Detroit Red Wings 17-8-8 PTS: 42
    Detroit Lions 9-4
    Detroit Tigers Another disappointing season
    North Carolina Tarheels Mens Basketball Overall: 8-3 ACC:
    Florida State Seminoles Overall: 13-0 ACC: 8-0 ACC Champs (#3 in College Playoff)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    2,567
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by smarkow View Post
    Ok... So, i've said time and time again that i love leyland as a Manager. However, last night was awful decision after awful decision beginning in the bottom of the 8th. We all know what happened, but the decision on which pitchers to use was just awful. I've read today that Scherzer said he was done, and when a pitcher says that, you have to make a change. He's pitched masterfully over the season, and that game, but after 108 pitches, if the guys says he's done, he's done. Verlander did the same thing in Game 5 of the series against the A's.

    So, for that game, i'm with the guys on here that give Leyland a hard time. Thought it was just awful the way the 8th inning was managed from a pitching standpoint.

    But, what can the Tigers say for themselves? They have a split going into three games at home with Verlander, Fister and Sanchez going. That sets up Scherzer for a game 6 and Verlander for Game 7, if necessary.
    I'm wondering why Iglesias came in as a defensive replacement but Cabrera was left out there in the 9th, if Kelly is at third Jose doesn't have to try to make an impossible play and I still don't understand how Fielder let that ball get by him, plus the pop-foul on top of it in the same inning. We know our pen is going to blow some games from time to time but if the defense isn't atrocious we still would have had a chance to win that game.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5,725
    vCash
    1071
    Quote Originally Posted by sc8581 View Post
    I'm wondering why Iglesias came in as a defensive replacement but Cabrera was left out there in the 9th, if Kelly is at third Jose doesn't have to try to make an impossible play and I still don't understand how Fielder let that ball get by him, plus the pop-foul on top of it in the same inning. We know our pen is going to blow some games from time to time but if the defense isn't atrocious we still would have had a chance to win that game.
    That play may have even been tough for Kelly to get to, but we'll never know for sure. Last night Jim outsmarted himself...I think from here out he trusts our starters even more.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,348
    vCash
    1500
    He over-managed last night, plain and simple. Veras should have had a much longer leash with a 4 run lead.
    #teamboom4life

    MLB: Tigers
    NFL: Lions
    NHL: Red Wings
    CFB(Div I): Michigan
    CFB(Div II): Hillsdale

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    K-zoo
    Posts
    1,160
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Zander 77 View Post
    He over-managed last night, plain and simple. Veras should have had a much longer leash with a 4 run lead.
    ...but Ellsbury is left-handed....the monkey manual says we always, always, ALWAYS need a left handed pitcher to pitch to a lefty late in a game...
    "It's like deja-vu, all over again." -Yogi Berra

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    K-zoo
    Posts
    1,160
    vCash
    1500
    Zander, in case my sarcasm is not detected...you are spot on. Veras was filthy in game one; give him three more batters at least...Victorino was certainly not going to touch him.
    "It's like deja-vu, all over again." -Yogi Berra

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Saginaw, MI
    Posts
    16,266
    vCash
    500
    Ellsbury and Ortiz are a combined 3 for 29 against Coke

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    65,746
    vCash
    0
    And for some reason the guy isn't used? I hate the guy as a player don't get me wrong but if he historically dominates them why avoid using him? I don't care if he hasn't pitched in a big game in a while, Phil's pitched in plenty playoff games before, he knows what is expected.



    Catches: 23 Yards: 210 TDs: 1

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5,725
    vCash
    1071
    Jim ****ed up big time. We all know that. Hopefully it didn't cost us the series.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    966
    vCash
    1500
    well, i think the Tigers are still in an OK situation with Fister and Anibal going the next two games. If we win one of those games, which I think we will (and hopefully both), the Tigers will have Scherzer in Game 6 and Verlander in Game 7. Regardless of who is pitching on the other side, I like those chances.

    Right now, its obviously all about hitting. And really, its hitting with men in scoring position. The Tigers have had chances throughout the series but haven't been capitalizing. That needs to start happening or else this series will be over quickly....

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    K-zoo
    Posts
    1,160
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by smarkow View Post
    well, i think the Tigers are still in an OK situation with Fister and Anibal going the next two games. If we win one of those games, which I think we will (and hopefully both), the Tigers will have Scherzer in Game 6 and Verlander in Game 7. Regardless of who is pitching on the other side, I like those chances.
    Right now, its obviously all about hitting. And really, its hitting with men in scoring position. The Tigers have had chances throughout the series but haven't been capitalizing. That needs to start happening or else this series will be over quickly....
    smarkow, I agree with your first paragraph...that being said let me mess with you a little on the second paragraph...mainly because I know that you defend Leyland as a good manager for our Tigers.

    Before I say anything please know that what I am about to say is only to stir a friendly little debate...here we go!

    "The Tigers have had chances throughout the series but haven't been capitalizing." They have indeed and the BIG BOYS, as Jim would say it, are not getting it done. But rather than change things up a little (and no, sticking Don Kelly in LF doesn't not constitute changing things up, unfortunately) lets continue doing the same thing that we have always done. Yes, folks that IS the definition of insanity.

    Nor does putting Dirks in LF (he had the most starts there in 2013) and batting him 9th...how about leadoff for Dirks? Smokes response, "no, Jackson is our guy on top." I hate to mention it but Jackson could not seal the deal on top even with a passed out and naked Lindsey Lohan underneath him right now...

    What about the toothless Tiger named Princess Fielder...not getting it done with the bat or the glove. Absolutely terrible, a Detroit Tigers version of Alex Rodriguez of the Yankees. In 4 different postseasons Fielder is a combined 27H for 133ABs with 30 strike outs...pathetic. The sample size is there and the verdict is that the man is not a playoff player. Slide Princess down in the order or better yet have him grab some bench and play V Mart at first. Keep in mind, other than the Iglesias play this year, the best defensive gem of the season was a flip back at first base from a diving Martinez...purely filthy. The entire nation knew that Fielder was not going to hit after Cabrera struck out last night. I know, lets keep him hitting fourth when our three best hitters right now are V Mart at the 5, Peralta at the 6, and Avila at the 7...yep, makes perfect sense.

    I guess what I am ultimately saying is that I sure would like to see us jumble up the lineup and see if we cannot catch "lightning in a bottle" as Smokes tends to say...I know that leaving the lineup the same way as it has always been is certainly not going to get it done.
    Last edited by T $$$; 10-16-2013 at 02:19 PM.
    "It's like deja-vu, all over again." -Yogi Berra

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5,725
    vCash
    1071
    I want to see the lineup moved around a bit too. Move Jackson to 9 and put infante or Dirks or someone at leadoff. Bat Martinez behind miggy then JP then Alex then Prince. The only reason I say to leave Miggy is because it seems like he can still hit if he gets decent pitches.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,339
    vCash
    4625
    Quote Originally Posted by lizardking13 View Post
    I want to see the lineup moved around a bit too. Move Jackson to 9 and put infante or Dirks or someone at leadoff. Bat Martinez behind miggy then JP then Alex then Prince. The only reason I say to leave Miggy is because it seems like he can still hit if he gets decent pitches.
    Well you got your wish for a lineup shake up.

    1. Hunter
    2. Cabrera
    3. Prince
    4. Martinez
    5. Peralta
    6. Avila
    7. Infante
    8. Jackson
    9. Iglesias

    I have been thinking that Jackson needs to move down the lineup but not necessarily move everyone else up a spot. We will see how it goes though, i'm excited for this game!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    K-zoo
    Posts
    1,160
    vCash
    1500
    That lineup is not quite what I had in mind but it worked and we got the W!
    "It's like deja-vu, all over again." -Yogi Berra

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •