Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Hakeem Nicks on the trade block?

What do you think the value of Nicks is, potentially as a rental?

Link

Last month, someone fabricated a rumor that the Giants had traded (not might trade, but had traded) receiver Hakeem Nicks to the Lions for running back Mikel Leshoure and a third-round pick.

This month, the Giants have 15 days left to try to trade Nicks.

Last night, Peter King and yours truly discussed whether the trade should happen. King believes strongly that they should.

And it makes sense. The Giants are 0-6, they likely won’t pay Nicks what he wants (which could be along the lines of what Mike Wallace got), and they may as well get what they can and move on.

The ability of G.M. Jerry Reese to find plenty of other competent receivers via the draft or otherwise (e.g., Victor Cruz, who wasn’t drafted) suggests that the Giants are better off finding a young replacement next year, trusting Eli Manning to help the player become a good-to-great receiver, and shipping Nicks to a contender.

For more on that topic, the Patriots’ performance on Sunday, and whether the Packers would be a candidate to trade for Nicks, here’s our discussion from the set of Football Night in America.

vCash
    The thread title is misleading, you donut. Nowhere does it say that the Giants are actually considering this.

vCash
    Very interesting
    You're talking to me all wrong... It's the wrong tone. You do it again and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron. Hey, tell me, does your mother sew? BOOM. Get her to sew that!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Federal Reserve View Post
    The thread title is misleading, you donut. Nowhere does it say that the Giants are actually considering this.
    What kind of insult is "donut". There are more articles coming out that Nicks will be on the block, especially in a contract year and having just given Cruz a contract extension. It is evident that common sense is acquired and not so common.

VIA CBS- and Giants Forum

Several NFL clubs are planning to determine the degree to which New York Giants wide receiver Hakeem Nicks might be available via trade following New York dropping to 0-6 this week, according to league sources.

Teams view Nicks as the best option available and with the Giants in a freefall, big changes possibly on the way there, and Nicks a potential unrestricted free agent at the end of the season, other general managers want to hear for themselves just how amenable to a trade Giants GM Jerry Reese might be. Several GMs contacted believed the Giants could get at least a third-round pick for Nicks, even if he is just a late-season “rental” who then hits the open market in March.

Nicks, 25, could end up being the highest-paid player in what looks to be a pedestrian free-agent class (tight end Jimmy Graham, for instance, is going to be franchised by the Saints if he isn’t extended), and a team acquiring the star receiver at the trade deadline would only owe him about $1.4M for the remainder of the season based on his $2.7M salary).

Among the teams holding internal discussions about him, according to club sources, were the 49ers and Falcons (who lost Julio Jones for the season but are not conceding the season … at least certainly not yet). New England and Baltimore are also contending teams in need of an upgrade at receiver, and the market for Nicks would be robust, sources believe, if the Giants express a willingness to listen to offers.

New York is an old-school team, and wouldn’t want to give off indications it is writing off the season, however, with Nicks a big fan of Eli Manning, and someone not seeking a trade himself, the strong possibility always remains the Giants could still re-sign him as a free agent in the spring even if he did depart. There is no ill will or hard feelings between the sides, sources said. It's just the contrary, and Nicks has never blanched or complained about not getting an extension from the team.

The Giants did sign receiver Victor Cruz to an extension however, and with Rueben Randle emerging this season and the team aging and with many holes to fill, some wonder how many resources New York would invest into one position group, like receiver (especially with Manning able to cultivate pass catchers over the years). Nicks would be in line to command more than the $12 million a year Mike Wallace got from Miami in free agency last year.

vCash
    The Pack may be needing someone for insurance and then some, obviously after yesterday. I hope he's on the block!

vCash
    If they lose this week I think they'll consider it more seriously. I think they probably would have to feel they are getting overpaid, ownership loves Nicks and they also would never wanna make it seem like to the players that they are packing it in
    “It's still a game and you'd rather win it than lose it.”

There is An Angel in CitiField- LETS GO METS!

Proud to be PSD's "The Kid"

New York Giants-2012 World Champions

SuperMann #10, Superman wears Eli Pajamas

vCash
    he should get a 3rd imo

vCash
    I HOPE SO! I have him on my Fantasy Team!

The Ravens, Lions, Patriots, Falcons and 49ers Need a WR. Hakeem Nicks is a free agent after this season. With the way the Giants season is going and if they dont plan on extending him, I could see him traded.

Hakeem Nicks is 25 years old and in his prime. He's going to command a 10+ million dollar a year contract. Similar to Mike Wallace.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mnatiq View Post
    he should get a 3rd imo
    agreed

vCash
    Love Nicks but i would be pretty happy if the Giants got a 2nd for him.
    Future Ace

vCash
    I think 49ers and Ravens make most sense. Possibly Green Bay if Jones is out for awhile, or DET if Calvin is hampered for too long. Don't see the Falcons trading for him, or Pats.

vCash
    Not interested in him for the Pats at anything more than a 4th rounder. I don't want a rental. Then NE is in the same spot next year. I'd rather let the young guys play.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mnatiq View Post
    he should get a 3rd imo

If he makes it thru the season, the Giants wud net a 3rd( most likely) after the season if he walks via a compensatory pick. Its NO reason they should settle for less than a 2nd. Harvin got a 1st,3rd & 7th and Nicks is a much better WR imo

Mike Woodson NYK

Record ... 72 - 34

vCash
    He's not on trading block. Saw it on twitter

The Future Jacksonville Jaguars Power Couple

#InCaldwellWeDon'tTrust

vCash
    As a Rams fan, I'd easily give a second.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast