Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: David Price?

vCash

David Price?

With both beat writers confirming that the Braves will make a bid if/when the Rays make David Price available this winter, it's worth a separate thread for Price talk and rumors.

I'm totally against going and getting Price. The package Tampa will demand (and likely get) is going to be astronomical, and Tampa wants talent to make an immediate impact. So someone like Lucas Sims is not going to be a headliner for them. The Braves don't have any ready-now talent in the upper minors that isn't already expected to contribute to the 2014 club. Alex Wood and Christian Bethancourt come to mind as two talented guys who might not make the roster right away, but are you really prepared to give away those guys and have no alternative to Evan Gattis at catcher or a questionably healthy Brandon Beachy as the fifth starter? And of course, Wood and Bethancourt alone wouldn't be enough...you'd still be looking at including major pieces from the lower farm system. And, on top of all that, paying Price probably $40 million over the next two seasons before watching him walk via free agency.

All that becomes even harder to swallow when you add in potential doubts about just how good Price is. He's a very, very good pitcher, no doubt. But his strikeout rate fell significantly this year, and that drop-off takes him out of the Kershaw-Cliff Lee echelon of starters, especially when you consider that his groundball rates are good but not on par with someone like Adam Wainwright (who was closer to Price in terms of K rate). And if I'm going to give up the sort of money and prospects that Price is going to cost, I want a guy with literally zero warts. Price isn't that, if you ask me.

Regardless, it'll be fascinating to watch Price's trade market develop, and the Braves could certainly use him and afford him in the event that the bidding doesn't get as high as I expect it to get.

vCash
    Definitely not on board in going after price. I'd much rather sure up the back up of the rotation by going after free agent pitchers like de la rosa or Santana.

If ted turner still owned the team, then maybe i'd be more willing to gamble with our farm system. But at this point, teams are starting to get smart. They're starting to notice that a guy making $400,000 can perform just as well as a guy making $15 million. Just be smart braves.

vCash
    I will be upset if FW doesn't at least make an offer for him.

Wrestling & Bobcats Mod

vCash
    I think they will inquire. But the Braves have shown to be much smarter than breaking the future for one player.
    <span style=font-family: Georgia>[II][/I]</span>

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westside View Post
    I think they will inquire. But the Braves have shown to be much smarter than breaking the future for one player.
    In recent years i might add.
    <span style=font-family: Georgia>[II][/I]</span>

vCash
    I would be fine with alex wood and bethancourt and some prospects. I don't see this happening. Honestly I would love to address 2b but I don't see how we can shed uggla's contract without paying most of it and that doesn't make sense. We have to hope for a bounce back season from either him or bj.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thomass View Post
    Definitely not on board in going after price. I'd much rather sure up the back up of the rotation by going after free agent pitchers like de la rosa or Santana.
    De La Rosa (assuming you mean Jorge of the Rockies) had his option exercised for 2014. And Santana looks to be in line for Anibal Sanchez money. I just can't imagine the Braves giving a pitcher an $80 million contract.

Quote Originally Posted by NBA_Starter View Post
    Every GM in the league will make an offer for him, I can guarantee you that. The Braves will probably be in the mix longer than most. But I'd be very surprised if the price stayed low enough where it to be smart for the Braves to try to actually win the bidding.

Quote Originally Posted by howiend View Post
    I would be fine with alex wood and bethancourt and some prospects. I don't see this happening. Honestly I would love to address 2b but I don't see how we can shed uggla's contract without paying most of it and that doesn't make sense. We have to hope for a bounce back season from either him or bj.
    If the Braves offered Lucas Sims along with Wood and Bethancourt, I bet the Rays pull the trigger. Perhaps there are some other combinations of prospects that could take Sims' place and it would still be desirable for the Rays. But that's 12 years of control combined over two players that have high ceilings and very low floors. Wood is definitely going to be at least a late-inning reliever, and Bethancourt almost certainly at least a second-division starter due to his glove. Not to mention that I don't trust David Hale to be the first option we turn to if Beachy isn't healthy or another starter goes down, and I don't trust Gerald Laird to have to be the starting catcher if Evan Gattis' 2014 looks more like his 2013 second half than his first half. Plus, if Bethancourt develops, you can potentially move Gattis back to the outfield, which provides an extra layer of B.J. Upton insurance.

Wood and Bethancourt are going to contribute in the big leagues in 2014, regardless of what team they're playing for. And giving up the first six years of their careers, plus more prospects, for a guy that is a luxury more than a necessity, and who makes the payroll situation very difficult in 2015...just doesn't make sense to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thomass View Post
    De La Rosa (assuming you mean Jorge of the Rockies) had his option exercised for 2014. And Santana looks to be in line for Anibal Sanchez money. I just can't imagine the Braves giving a pitcher an $80 million contract.

Every GM in the league will make an offer for him, I can guarantee you that. The Braves will probably be in the mix longer than most. But I'd be very surprised if the price stayed low enough where it to be smart for the Braves to try to actually win the bidding.

Quote Originally Posted by howiend View Post
    If the Braves offered Lucas Sims along with Wood and Bethancourt, I bet the Rays pull the trigger. Perhaps there are some other combinations of prospects that could take Sims' place and it would still be desirable for the Rays. But that's 12 years of control combined over two players that have high ceilings and very low floors. Wood is definitely going to be at least a late-inning reliever, and Bethancourt almost certainly at least a second-division starter due to his glove. Not to mention that I don't trust David Hale to be the first option we turn to if Beachy isn't healthy or another starter goes down, and I don't trust Gerald Laird to have to be the starting catcher if Evan Gattis' 2014 looks more like his 2013 second half than his first half. Plus, if Bethancourt develops, you can potentially move Gattis back to the outfield, which provides an extra layer of B.J. Upton insurance.

Wood and Bethancourt are going to contribute in the big leagues in 2014, regardless of what team they're playing for. And giving up the first six years of their careers, plus more prospects, for a guy that is a luxury more than a necessity, and who makes the payroll situation very difficult in 2015...just doesn't make sense to me.

vCash
    IMHO.... I think FW will do more than just make an offer. I think he will try to land him. Price has said in the past and recently that the Braves where his childhood team and the team he pictured his self playing for. Does that mean he will take a home team discount to sign an extension? NO( although I hope he will)! However that like the Uggla trade is something that I think the Braves will talk to him about before any trade is made. The deal wasn't signed, sealed, and delivered, but form all accounts they talked to dan and his agent and knew exactly what it was going to take. So I don't think the Braves make any deal, not knowing that Price will sign an ext. It was reported two seasons ago that the Braves did have trade talks with MIL about Grienke. But FW wanted to talk to Zack and his agent before making a significant offer, MIL said no and the rest is written. Just saying it goes along with what FW has been trying to do, I don't think he makes a move without some kind of insurance that if you meet this number, we have a deal.

I'm not worried about a top ten pitcher having one down year. I would refer to the Med and scouting staff for that, instead of making my own decision. I really like Alex Wood ( he is the name that cones up the most) and CB. The Braves would have to have supreme confidence in Gattis at catcher or be very confident they could re-sign Mac or a guy like Salty in FA to do the deal. However at the end of the day if the package was built around CB and Wood ( two guys I don't want to trade honestly) and didn't include Sims, La Sella, Paraza, Hursh, or Salcedo ( who the Braves still have high hopes for), It would be hard to give a definite no.

If we learned anything from last years Justin Upton trade.... We are going to have to give up someone we did not want to give up. Although I personally was okay with giving up Prado, A lot of us where pissed about it! But to get, you have to give! Unlike most teams..... We can give-up a lot of MLB ready or almost MLB ready talent. We could offer a package that included Gattis or CB, Sims or Wood, Terdo, Graham, ect. I don't think the Braves would give up Gattis and CB in the same package unless it was a small package ( meaning 3 players and not 5). I don't think the Braves would give up Wood and Simms in the same package ( unless it was a very small package), however I think the Braves can give up one catcher and one very good starting pitching prospect in the same package to land a top 5 IMHO about top 10 in most opinions starting pitcher along with others.

Sorry man most of this was about the thread in general.... Just my opinion though.
    Last edited by SB75; 10-14-2013 at 03:36 AM.

vCash
    If we can't land Price, why not inquire about some other guys like Chris Sale or Madison Bumgarner? Two awsome lefties there. Also, let's give Gattis a shot to play C all year this year, I think he would bring incredible pop to the team if given the opportunity to shine like I know he can. The man deserves it there's no need to go after Salty. Plus, didn't he have one of if not the highest batting average of all our guys in the playoffs???
    Last edited by Getting UGGLA; 10-14-2013 at 03:40 PM.
    1991 Lost WS to Twins 4-3
    1992 Lost WS to Blue Jays 4-2
    1993 Lost NLCS to Phillies 4-2
    1996 Lost WS to Yankees 4-2 (led 2-0)
    1997 Lost NLCS to Marlins 4-2
    1998 Lost NLCS to Padres 4-2
    1999 Lost WS 4-0 to Yankees
    2000 Lost NLDS 3-0 to Cardinals
    2001 Lost NLCS to Diamondbacks 4-1
    2002 Lost NLDS 3-2 to Giants
    2003 Lost NLDS 3-2 to Cubs
    2004 Lost NLDS 3-2 to Astros
    2005 Lost NLDS 3-1 to Astros
    2010 Lost NLDS 3-1 to Giants
    2012 Lost NLWC 1-0 to Cardinals
    2013 Lost NLDS 3-1 to Dodgers

vCash
    There are teams that can and will outbid the Braves. It's highly unlikely that Price ends up in Atlanta. The Braves have already harvested the best prospects they had in their farm.

vCash
    The 3 teams I keep hearing most in the Price rumors are our Braves, the Rangers, and the F*CKING DODGERS! That's really pissing me off. Just proves that the Salary ramifications and Draft pick compensation they put in play doesn't work. How you going to beat a Dodgers team with Clayton, David and Zack?

vCash
    The Dodgers are in a hole even with Greinke and Kershaw. Price may not make the difference.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iamaj View Post
    There are teams that can and will outbid the Braves. It's highly unlikely that Price ends up in Atlanta. The Braves have already harvested the best prospects they had in their farm.
    There are teams with higher rated specs, but again it depends on how GM's see those specs. Tex had higher rated specs ( without including Profar) than the Braves, however Ari Gm liked the Braves package better. And the Braves may not have the great farm they had in the early to mid 90's, but it is still good.

There are also a number of teams that although they have better farms, they won't be involved because they know they can't extend him with the money he will command. A's, Pad's, Astro's, Pirates, and Twins to name a few. If a team offers a top 10 prospect, you are right, we are out of it. But again, I don't see the Twins, Astro's, or Pirates getting involved. And with rumors that the Tigers may be trying to dump salary, to extend Miggy, I don't think they will either.

I don't think we are the top trading partner for TB even being an NL team. But I don't think they want to trade him to an AL team or in the div. The package would have to have a significant ready to contribute piece like they got with Myer's for them to do that. I would hope his agent has some kind of steering power as well.
    Last edited by SB75; 10-14-2013 at 08:17 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iamaj View Post
    The Dodgers are in a hole even with Greinke and Kershaw. Price may not make the difference.
    True..... But they are facing a team that finished 1rst in the NL in runs, 2nd in hits, 1rst in doubles, 2nd in total bases, 1rst in RBI's, 2nd in Avg, 1rst in OBP, and 3rd in slgg. Point blank outside of hit the long ball, they pick you apart and make you throw a lot of pitches, they can pitch a little bit as well. The Dodgers are a good team now, can you imagine them with a rotation led by Clayton, David, and Zack with a healthy Either and Kemp, that is scary my friend!

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast