Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Scherzer Trade

vCash

Scherzer Trade

As you can see, Knobler at CBS Sports, is starting the rumor of Scherzer being traded this offseason because his stock will most likely never be higher and the Tigers cannot dish out another $18-$20 million due to Verlander, Cabrera, Fielder, and Sanchez. Now, Hunter and Martinez will both be off the books next year; the same year that Scherzer will be a free agent. Do we take that money and re-sign him or do we trade him for MAJOR LEAGUE READY PLAYERS; not prospects.

That said, here is the trade that I suggest if we cannot re-sign him:

Miami gets:
    Max Scherzer

Detroit gets:
    Giancarlo Stanton (he will play LF)
    Jose Fernandez

We replace Scherzer with a good young pitcher and solve our LF problem. After next year, when Castellanos is ready and Hunter is a FA, we will move Stanton back to his RF and put Castellanos at LF.

Now in my opinion, Hunter and Martinez are playing years younger than their age and those guys do not seem like they want to stop playing after their contracts are up. I would like to have them both back which sorta makes Castellanos expendable. Trade him? I would not want to but we may have to.

Now this is our problem. We currently have a $148M payroll. That includes all players on our roster. Next year, Fielder, Cabrera, Verlander, Hunter, Martinez, and Sanchez will equate to $107M on their own. That doesn't including signing or arbitration-eligible players such as Scherzer, Jackson, Infante, Iglesias, Porcello, Fister, Avila, Smyly etc. That is why a trade is more imminent that we think.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Amaradio15; 10-11-2013 at 08:39 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Amaradio15 View Post
    As you can see, Knobler at CBS Sports, is starting the rumor of Scherzer being traded this offseason because his stock will most likely never be higher and the Tigers cannot dish out another $18-$20 million due to Verlander, Cabrera, Fielder, and Sanchez. Now, Hunter and Martinez will both be off the books next year; the same year that Scherzer will be a free agent. Do we take that money and re-sign him or do we trade him for MAJOR LEAGUE READY PLAYERS; not prospects.

That said, here is the trade that I suggest if we cannot re-sign him:

Miami gets:
    Max Scherzer

Detroit gets:
    Giancarlo Stanton (he will play LF)
    Jose Fernandez

We replace Scherzer with a good young pitcher and solve our LF problem. After next year, when Castellanos is ready and Hunter is a FA, we will move Stanton back to his RF and put Castellanos at LF.

Now in my opinion, Hunter and Martinez are playing years younger than their age and those guys do not seem like they want to stop playing after their contracts are up. I would like to have them both back which sorta makes Castellanos expendable. Trade him? I would not want to but we may have to.

Now this is our problem. We currently have a $148M payroll. That includes all players on our roster. Next year, Fielder, Cabrera, Verlander, Hunter, Martinez, and Sanchez will equate to $107M on their own. That doesn't including signing or arbitration-eligible players such as Scherzer, Jackson, Infante, Iglesias, Porcello, Fister, Avila, Smyly etc. That is why a trade is more imminent that we think.

Thoughts?
    First off, we really should not be discussing this in the midst of a postseason run...enjoy the ALCS and hopefully, the World Series dude...

...Second, Miami won't give Stanton (their only marquee position player) and Jose Fernandez (a 21 year old cost contained stud pitcher) for one year of service of Max Scherzer...especially since the Miami Marlins are going nowhere and don't fit the profile of giving a long-term mega-deal to an ace with no postseason in sight. Also, the Tigers have it in their minds that Castellanos is the starting LF next season so there is really no LF problem to solver, per se. Regardless, Miami is not a trade partner for the Tigers regarding Scherzer.

...Third, it is not that you take Hunter and Martinez contracts when they expire and give that to Scherzer the next season. Max is going to command a minimum 5 year deal so Hunter and Martinez money doesn't really play into THIS equation. As the relief of Hunter and Martinez contracts need to be measured against resigning or letting go of Infante, Jackson, and Cabrera. Position player salaries expiring to position player salaries to fill possible holes. With what happened at 2B after letting Polanco go, DD will definitely try to resign Infante to a 1-2 year deal but Infante will want a 3-4 year deal...probably in the $8-10M per season range, we shall see who wins. With A Jax's down year, I expect us to buy low on a 4-5 year deal with him for approximately $10-12 per season. I think that the requirement is extending the best hitter in baseball...lock up Cabrera...that will be expensive but necessary.

...Fourth, neither Hunter nor Martinez will be brought back after their deals expire, in my opinion. Hunter will be 40 and geared up for a two year run with the Tigers and, I think, already had this conversation with DD about how long he wanted to play. Hence, the two year deal. Fielder/Cabrera will need the DH spot to spell each throughout the season so Martinez being brought back only further muddies the water.

...Fifth, eventually Castellanos moves to 3B, Cabrera gets extended/resigned moves to 1B, Fielder moves to DH...ultimately what I am saying is that we have nothing in the farm system at 3B beyond Cabrera and Castellanos, so Castellanos cannot be traded.

...Sixth, you want to trade Scherzer for projected major league ready players mainly to replenish the system that is quite thin. That doesn't mean that you are no longer trying to get to the postseason...it just means that at some point you must reload. Scherzer, in one move, allows you to do just that. If you don't trade him the Tigers become the Phillies, the Yankees, or the Giants of this year (each team's example is a little different but you catch the drift).

...Seventh, a rotation of Verlander, Sanchez, Fister, Smyly, and Porcello is still damn good.

Sorry for the length of the response...

Go Tigers! Go the distance!!!
    They call me
    Mister Fister

2013 Regular Season stats:

(14-9)

32 GP, 32 GS, 1 CG, 207.2 IP, 228 H, 91 R, 85 ER, 14 HR, 44 BB, 158 K,

1.31WHIP, .281 BAA, 3.68 ERA

vCash
    I'd cream myself if we trade Scherzer for Fernandez and Stanton.

vCash
    This was not brought up by me, it was brought up by Danny Knobler of CBS Sports and I am enjoying the playoffs and that awesome chant they did after winning yesterday as much as anyone. But trade topics are always fun (even during the playoffs). And although you made good points, you missed a few things. Miami will trade Scherzer or we do a 3-team deal (not sure if Miami can acquire a player and then trade him quickly afterward). They will not keep him for 1 year of service and then lose him to free agency. They are dumb but not that dumb. Also, I would rather have Giancarlo Stanton and Torri Hunter than Nick Castellanos and Torri Hunter or Nick Castellanos and Giancarlo Stanton next year. Bring Nick up and let him play but he is not going to be a starter; not yet. Eventually I would love an outfield of Stanton, Jackson, and Castellanos but Castellanos is not better than Hunter nor Stanton. Long point short, Scherzer will demand a lot of money considering he is a Boras client. With Cabrera probably getting $30M/year, we cannot afford both him, Scherzer, and a multitude of other important players that are soon going to be FA's or arbitration eligible. I would hate to see Max go but I am also tired of hearing how Detroit is losing money. No, it's not my money but he has been a great owner for Detroit and I don't like hearing that. Signing Scherzer and Cabrera will guarantee he loses even more money! Anyway, I love this current team and am happy for them. Cannot wait until tomorrow night! Go Tigers!
    Last edited by Amaradio15; 10-11-2013 at 10:51 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by T $$$ View Post
    First off, we really should not be discussing this in the midst of a postseason run...enjoy the ALCS and hopefully, the World Series dude...

...Second, Miami won't give Stanton (their only marquee position player) and Jose Fernandez (a 21 year old cost contained stud pitcher) for one year of service of Max Scherzer...especially since the Miami Marlins are going nowhere and don't fit the profile of giving a long-term mega-deal to an ace with no postseason in sight. Also, the Tigers have it in their minds that Castellanos is the starting LF next season so there is really no LF problem to solver, per se. Regardless, Miami is not a trade partner for the Tigers regarding Scherzer.

...Third, it is not that you take Hunter and Martinez contracts when they expire and give that to Scherzer the next season. Max is going to command a minimum 5 year deal so Hunter and Martinez money doesn't really play into THIS equation. As the relief of Hunter and Martinez contracts need to be measured against resigning or letting go of Infante, Jackson, and Cabrera. Position player salaries expiring to position player salaries to fill possible holes. With what happened at 2B after letting Polanco go, DD will definitely try to resign Infante to a 1-2 year deal but Infante will want a 3-4 year deal...probably in the $8-10M per season range, we shall see who wins. With A Jax's down year, I expect us to buy low on a 4-5 year deal with him for approximately $10-12 per season. I think that the requirement is extending the best hitter in baseball...lock up Cabrera...that will be expensive but necessary.

...Fourth, neither Hunter nor Martinez will be brought back after their deals expire, in my opinion. Hunter will be 40 and geared up for a two year run with the Tigers and, I think, already had this conversation with DD about how long he wanted to play. Hence, the two year deal. Fielder/Cabrera will need the DH spot to spell each throughout the season so Martinez being brought back only further muddies the water.

...Fifth, eventually Castellanos moves to 3B, Cabrera gets extended/resigned moves to 1B, Fielder moves to DH...ultimately what I am saying is that we have nothing in the farm system at 3B beyond Cabrera and Castellanos, so Castellanos cannot be traded.

...Sixth, you want to trade Scherzer for projected major league ready players mainly to replenish the system that is quite thin. That doesn't mean that you are no longer trying to get to the postseason...it just means that at some point you must reload. Scherzer, in one move, allows you to do just that. If you don't trade him the Tigers become the Phillies, the Yankees, or the Giants of this year (each team's example is a little different but you catch the drift).

...Seventh, a rotation of Verlander, Sanchez, Fister, Smyly, and Porcello is still damn good.

Sorry for the length of the response...

Go Tigers! Go the distance!!!
    Couldnt have said it better. If Miami made that trade their GM would be fired. Fernandez is already as good as Scherzer with an extra 8 years of time left to play, not to mention they dont pay him anything. If you look around the league there are very few teams with major league ready players that would be in the market for Scherzer. Texas is the only team I can think of and I dont see us trading him just to get Profar or Andrus in return. The right move as pointed out in this quote, is to replenish the farm. In doing that we will get the outfielder you want and also a SP for the future.

But again, we just won last night and were headed to the ALCS for a 3rd straight year. Sit back and enjoy it. Danny Knobler is a b**** for starting this rumor in the middle of the playoffs when it has already been discussed in this forum for over a year.

Lets go TIGS! Animal starting game one, lefty Lester is about to get rocked

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    I'd cream myself if we trade Scherzer for Fernandez and Stanton.
    You and everyone else who considers themselves a Tiger fan...
    They call me
    Mister Fister

(14-9)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Amaradio15 View Post
    This was not brought up by me, it was brought up by Danny Knobler of CBS Sports and I am enjoying the playoffs and that awesome chant they did after winning yesterday as much as anyone. But trade topics are always fun (even during the playoffs). And although you made good points, you missed a few things. Miami will trade Scherzer or we do a 3-team deal (not sure if Miami can acquire a player and then trade him quickly afterward). They will not keep him for 1 year of service and then lose him to free agency. They are dumb but not that dumb. Also, I would rather have Giancarlo Stanton and Torri Hunter than Nick Castellanos and Torri Hunter or Nick Castellanos and Giancarlo Stanton next year. Bring Nick up and let him play but he is not going to be a starter; not yet. Eventually I would love an outfield of Stanton, Jackson, and Castellanos but Castellanos is not better than Hunter nor Stanton. Long point short, Scherzer will demand a lot of money considering he is a Boras client. With Cabrera probably getting $30M/year, we cannot afford both him, Scherzer, and a multitude of other important players that are soon going to be FA's or arbitration eligible. I would hate to see Max go but I am also tired of hearing how Detroit is losing money. No, it's not my money but he has been a great owner for Detroit and I don't like hearing that. Signing Scherzer and Cabrera will guarantee he loses even more money! Anyway, I love this current team and am happy for them. Cannot wait until tomorrow night! Go Tigers!
    Hate to be technical, but last I checked you were the person that posted this thread...

Discussing trade topics while your team is in the playoffs is like discussing a no-hitter with the pitcher in the 5th inning.

Miami doesn't have Scherzer, we do...and while I wouldn't put a three-team trade out of the equation I think that there are enough teams in the mix (Angels, Dodgers, Nationals, and Cubs to name a few) that a three-team deal may not be required.

That is why Miami is not a trade candidate with the Tigers in regards to Scherzer.

I don't mean to sound like a jerk on this one...but DD/Tigers/Leyland doesn't care what you would like...Castellanos is the Tigers top prospect, who can absolutely rake, is young, is cost controlled longer than Stanton, and quite frankly is cheaper.

I never insinuated that Castellanos was better than Stanton, or Hunter for that matter.

What does the fact that Detroit is in bankruptcy have to do with resigning Max Scherzer???

If you feel that these comments are unwarranted, my sincerest apologies...and I mean that. But again, you asked for thoughts...my thoughts are to simply enjoy 8 more wins. Isn't that the ultimate goal anyway of trading or/not trading Max Scherzer with one or/three teams???
    Last edited by T $$$; 10-11-2013 at 03:41 PM.
    They call me
    Mister Fister

(14-9)

vCash
    Oy vey.

"Lions, Tigers and Pistons, OH MY!" (and Hoosiers...and Redwings....)

vCash
    C'mon, lets be realistic, there's no way that this kind of trade would ever happen lol.

vCash
    That trade fits right alongside trading Avila for Yadir Molina, Fister for Kershaw, Dirks for Puig.
    Rod Allen Soundboard

http://www.foxsportsdetroit.com/09/1...93&feedID=3593

Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    Me and MTM

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo111 View Post
    I suck the donkey dick!!!........... HAHAHAHAHA!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ahoda View Post
    That trade fits right alongside trading Avila for Yadir Molina, Fister for Kershaw, Dirks for Puig.
    Let's do it!