Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Antonio Cromartie Injures his knee

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- New York Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie went down in practice Thursday with a noncontact knee injury and was taken for an MRI exam, according to two league sources.

[+] Enlarge
    Al Pereira/New York Jets/Getty Images
    Antonio Cromartie suffered a noncontact knee injury Thursday in practice and was taken for an MRI, according to league sources.
    The results of the MRI weren't immediately known, but the team is concerned it could be a serious injury. One source described it as a hyperextension, but that hasn't been confirmed by the team.

On Thursday, Cromartie appeared for the first time on the post-practice report with a knee injury and "limited" participation. Coach Rex Ryan didn't provide any information other than what was on the report.

A long-term injury would be a devastating blow for the Jets (3-2), who already have problems at cornerback.

Former starter Dee Milliner, a first-round pick, was demoted in Week 3 and later suffered a hamstring injury that has caused him to miss the past two games. He hasn't returned to practice and isn't expected to play Sunday against the Pittsburgh Steelers (0-4).

Their top healthy corners are Darrin Walls, who has started the past two games, and nickelback Kyle Wilson.

Cromartie, coming off a Pro Bowl season, is one of the Jets' most important defenders because he often is assigned to the opponent's No. 1 receiver -- the job previously held by Darrelle Revis, who was traded this past offseason.

Cromartie's absence would be especially felt in the coming weeks, as the Jets face some of the league's elite quarterbacks in Ben Roethlisberger, Tom Brady and Drew Brees.

In three-plus seasons with the Jets, Cromartie never has missed a game due to injury.
    Twitter: SteveMcG87

vCash
    This is bad. Real bad if this is a serious injury.

vCash
    Bring in Sheldon Brown, Cedric Griffin, Jason Allen, or even Stanford Routt. We need help and we need it now.

vCash
    This would cripple us

Kyle Wilson stinks, D Millner is hurt and not ready for prime time.

vCash
    Reports are coming out now that the MRI revealed its not serious and just a hyper-extension. Hopefully he rests up this week and is close to 100% for the NE, CIN, and NO games. Miliner seems like hes getting closer to returning too. Looks like we dodged a major bullet because a starting CB duo of Walls and Wilson would've been brutal especially against Tom Brady and then having to cover AJ Green.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jersey89 View Post
    Reports are coming out now that the MRI revealed its not serious and just a hyper-extension. Hopefully he rests up this week and is close to 100% for the NE, CIN, and NO games. Miliner seems like hes getting closer to returning too. Looks like we dodged a major bullet because a starting CB duo of Walls and Wilson would've been brutal especially against Tom Brady and then having to cover AJ Green.
    Beat me to it, was legit just about to post this.

He has to sit this week because we just can't risk it even if he can go. That being said, I'm continuing to get worried about this game. It has trap game and upset special written all over it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJetsfan69 View Post
    Beat me to it, was legit just about to post this.

He has to sit this week because we just can't risk it even if he can go. That being said, I'm continuing to get worried about this game. It has trap game and upset special written all over it.
    I'm a little worried too with this game sandwiched between a big win and make or break stretch of the schedule. Luckily it's at home at least, if it was in Pitt I'd be really concerned. The steelers are definitely going to come out pumped up coming off a bye and this game being a virtual must win. Hopefully Geno and company can put up some points early to quell that energy.

vCash
    If Cromartie doesn't play, I can't see Milliner sitting. I know Rex has his ""don't practice, don't play" rule, but the Jets are a bit thin in the secondary
    Twitter: SteveMcG87

vCash
    Bleacher Report has Milliner as playing in there report of the Cromartie injury. While this injury will hurt, if our DL takes advantage of the weak OL of the Steelers this injury doesnt have to be crippling for us in this game.

I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to win this game, as doing so would be the first time I can remember where the JETS won a game they should have.

Way back in the stands, you can see my Wife holding my son on the ledge at his first Green and White scrimmage...circa 2013...aka "The Transformation" year into greatness! That's right Emryk...you saw the beginning stages of JETS Greatness first hand!

vCash
    We dodged a serious bullet!

Follow me on Twitter @TheGaudAlmighty

vCash
    This position has been rough this year with Berry being lost and Milliner unable to play into shape with all the missed time due to the shoulder. Now Cro. I hope Cro returns soon as well as Milliner because I've been secretly hoping for a Kyle Wilson trade to Minnesota who continues to be lit up in the secondary like a Christmas tree. They loved him in the draft and my hope is that they still could want him. He's yours Vikes for a 3rd.

vCash
    @RichCimini Told teammates yesterday RT @AdamSchefter Despite being questionable with knee injury, Antonio Cromartie is expected to play vs Steelers

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    It's good that the injury turned out to be nothing serious. The Jets couldn't afford to lose Cro for a significant portion of the season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ajgmc59 View Post
    It's good that the injury turned out to be nothing serious. The Jets couldn't afford to lose Cro for a significant portion of the season.
    Let's hope that playing today doesn't worsen the condition because then he would be out for a significant portion.