Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Head shots, how do we stop them?

The only way I see to stop or greatly curtail head shots is that the offending party gets suspended until the injured party returns. Head shots are occurring to often with players being out for an untold number of games while the offending party comes back after a short suspension. These head shots have ended some careers early and in some cases some brain damage has occurred. Cheap shots in the NHL should be dealt with severely. Also in the case of any cheap shot should be called not only by the referees but by the linesmen also 4 pairs of eyes are better than two.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by puckhead54 View Post
    The only way I see to stop or greatly curtail head shots is that the offending party gets suspended until the injured party returns. Head shots are occurring to often with players being out for an untold number of games while the offending party comes back after a short suspension. These head shots have ended some careers early and in some cases some brain damage has occurred.
    While on the surface that sounds like a great idea, it just can't work. Some players are more injury prone than others, especially when it comes to head injuries. The same hit that ended one player's career may knock another player out for only 10 games. That's why the length of suspensions is normally determined by other factors, such as leaving the ice and if it is a repeat offense. The target of the hit is also a big factor. You can tell a lot about a hit through instant replay. Some hits end up a lot worse than they would've been if the player being hit didn't move a certain way at the last half a second. Sometimes game speed is simply too fast for a player to change his course of direction via reaction. On the other hand it is obvious that some players do target the head, and these cases are dealt with much more severely.

Cheap shots in the NHL should be dealt with severely. Also in the case of any cheap shot should be called not only by the referees but by the linesmen also 4 pairs of eyes are better than two.
    Again, sounds good in principle, but in reality just would not work. The linesman have enough going on without adding keep an eye on the players. You would see a lot more borderline no-calls for icing, offsides, hand pass, etc. if linesman are keeping their eyes peeled for head shots. In any case, especially when it involves a cheapshot or headshot, the league will review it regardless of if a penalty was called.

In all honesty it comes down to player responsibility. Some guys just don't care and play the way they play regardless of the rules. Some have learned and are better hockey players because of it, but it the league doesn't at least make an effort to hand out consistent suspensions nothing will change. When Shea Weber gets away with smashing Henrik Zetterberg's face into the glass, why would pests around the league fear a suspension? When Evgeni Malkin is throwing late-game cheapshots targeting the heads of Sean Couturier and Nik Grossmann, but receives no discipline, why would anyone else feel like they will be disciplined for it?

Shanahan made an impact when he took over for Campbell. His first five suspensions totaled 22 games lost. His last five suspensions have totaled 12 games lost. Consistency is key, but sometimes the league, believe it or not, feels the need to protect the faces of its franchises.

The only real solution is for the league to stop being greedy and start dishing out discipline across the board, not just on the pests of the league. Then players will take it more seriously.

G H O S T B E A R

vCash
    Eliminate fighting, hitting, and physical contact all together.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BranWingss View Post
    Eliminate fighting, hitting, and physical contact all together.
    That's about it as far as an end-all to the problem.

G H O S T B E A R

vCash
    Point is, you can't. It won't happen. Players have their heads down too much, this and that. It's not on purpose either. It's something that happens in a contact sport. It's like a concussion in MMA, broken rib in football, bloody lip in basketball, and Tommy John surgery in baseball. It's going to keep happening. It's a risk that happens. None of it is on purpose. Scratch that, the majority of it is not on purpose. Players know the risks. They accept the risks.

vCash
    It's not on purpose either.
    Sometimes that is true.

Regarding the OP's topic: the best way to reduce headshots is to enforce the rules. The best way to enforce the rules is to put in a suspension policy for refs who blow calls. If a guy is hit in the head and whistles don't go BEFORE the fight starts, suspend the refs for 40 games. They'll suddenly stop "missing" the calls.

"Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

vCash
    I don't really want a huge change to the game and how it's played, but you would think by now someone would have created a more protective helmet than the thin, relatively unpadded pieces of plastic they have been using for 40+ years. Create a proper fitting hybrid of a football helmet and hockey helmet and it would be far more protection for the players. I think eventually this will happen. If I recall correctly Mark Messier was trying to push a better helmet to executives a few years ago.

vCash
    Game is too fast to completely get rid of head shots, as most of them are accidental if you ask me. Like Bran said, it's not going to go away really.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trueblue2 View Post
    And there's no shame in banging fat chicks. They're normally down to do anything and theyll build your confidence. Even Mike trout had to tear up the minors before he got called up to the show.

EDIT: do not use tinder to tear up minors, you will go to jail.

vCash
    This may come off as mean-spirited but I mean nothing of the sort in what I say here. All I would like to do is be straight-forward and honest about this topic.

How do we stop head shots?

We don't. As long as sports are physical, injuries will always occur. And guess what, any athlete that doesn't realize that this is what he signed up for, then he's in the wrong line of work. You don't hear anybody in the Marine Corps coming back home and saying "I didn't realize when I joined up that I was gonna be shot at so much!" You must excuse me for saying this but I'm incredibly fed up with the pussifying of this recent generation who are so goddamn safety conscious that they want to go as far as to remove any and all competitive and entertaining aspects of everything just to keep some flavor-of-the-month millionaire meat-head's brain from being bruised up. Now I get it, people have sympathy for these athletes when they get hurt, and it may seem like I don't, but I do. But enough sympathy to wanna eventually just turn all these sports into a children's tea party? **** no, and why should I?

I can tell you from experience being an ex-lunkhead jock myself, who humbly and admittedly doesn't/didn't have what it takes-and GOD BLESS these guys for sticking with their gift because it's no cake walk-but this line of work REQUIRES you to have your bones broken, your face scarred, and your brains scrambled. Who honestly gives a **** about our brains anyway? We're not rocket scientists, we don't have the cure for cancer, we just (get paid way more than the average hard-working human being to) play a game and entertain or distract people, that's the bottom line. Sports is just another part of the entertainment industry, along with the movie and music business, which is designed to chew up anybody who dare enter it and spit them back out. Like I said, if you don't know what you're signing up for, you're in the wrong line of work. Yeah it's kinda sad that this is the way it is, and yes it's an ugly part of our society, but if you change ANYTHING about the way these things operate then you alienate people and you slowly demolish the foundation it was all built upon. And if people can live with that, then that's up to them.

The thing is though, that most people love watching these hockey players pound each other senseless and if you eliminate physical play and fighting altogether, not only do you lose many of the few remaining people who somehow resiliently are keeping this empty-shell of a sport alive after being jerked around so many times, but you take away the only opportunity these non-goal scoring enforcer type players have at being something in life. Without the chance at making the big bucks, these guys are reduced to nothing more than just the drunken, off-duty waste management working, hot-head tough guy across the bar who wishes you'd talk some **** to him just so he could have something to keep himself occupied in his miserable non-existence. This is the ugly truth, the sport needs these types of guys and these guys need the sport. Still think we can band together and stop head shots? Well here's another solution. The human race could cease breeding so in about 2,000 years there will be no more heads to clip as well as elbows to clip them with. You could say that's a little extreme, and it is, but this is the only way to prevent anymore human on human violence, whether it be on a stadium field or ice rink, or off in our daily lives. Penalizing and judicializing people for their misdeeds will never end such behavior as long as we're alive. So if nobody likes that solution then it's time to buck up and just get used to the fact that some of our favorite athletes may or may not become vegetables by the time their career is over because that's what happens when you're an athlete.

vCash
    im going to go against the popular opinion and say most head shots can be considered on purpose, you have the fairly obvious flying elbows from certain players but then you have a lot of players that hit elbow first or lead with their elbow. that to me is considered a head shot done on purpose. players have seen it time and time again how that hits end result is and they continue to do it. And the worst part about leading with the elbow is that hockey is such a fast paced sport that if you even wanted to change your mind you couldnt because by then its too late.

what we need is consistent suspension like flyguys said for everyone and we really need the league to take a no nonsense policy on it as well. putting some pressure on the refs like how bullseyed said is a good idea as well as it will have then enforcing headshots mid game better. essentially things can be done to further significantly reduce headshots but as long as certain players think they are in the clear since they arent pests or goons they will still exist

vCash
    I've never seen a purpose headshot on the Wings. Honestly. Look back at all of the "big" hits and the ones that got a suspension. Not one has been a purpose head shot. Kronny has the most and each time, it's with a player with his head down. When the head is not down, shoulder to shoulder. Or back to shoulder.

vCash
    I've never seen a purpose headshot on the Wings. Honestly. Look back at all of the "big" hits and the ones that got a suspension. Not one has been a purpose head shot. Kronny has the most and each time, it's with a player with his head down. When the head is not down, shoulder to shoulder. Or back to shoulder.
    im not saying each team has a player like that what im saying is that players are more aware then it is made out to be. I understand the game is fast paced but saying you dont have control of your body while on the ice is stupid, its one thing to say you dont have your stick under control in terms of cutting another player or for a high sticking call but in terms of injuries from getting hit in the head i really do think they can be taken out if league started suspending everyone and not having a double standard

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SensandRaps View Post
    im not saying each team has a player like that what im saying is that players are more aware then it is made out to be. I understand the game is fast paced but saying you dont have control of your body while on the ice is stupid, its one thing to say you dont have your stick under control in terms of cutting another player or for a high sticking call but in terms of injuries from getting hit in the head i really do think they can be taken out if league started suspending everyone and not having a double standard
    Players are getting suspended. Players are getting suspended for some of the most ridiculous things. It's almost at the point where certain players are afraid to hit. People were calling for a suspension against Steve Downie this season. Clean hit, huge hit. Raffi Torres still has one of the dumbest suspensions, one of the longest of all-times, for a boardline dirty hit. WHY? Because a player got injured.

You know what else is ridiculous? Players fighting opposing players over clean hits. That's how bad the league has got. We're talking about suspensions for everything. I personally hate it. Over-doing it.

I know I'm sounding like 'that' guy mentioning Detroit here, but I've never seen a purpose dirty hit. Abby has a hit from behind. Smith had one a couple years ago which was a complete accident. Kronny has a bunch of head shots, none have warranted a suspension (never has had one). The rare time it happens, it's an accident. It's so easy to watch players that you watch 2-3 games a year and say it was a purpose headshot. Watching my players I know the case. Kronwall is going to skate on the left boards and throw a big hit. He's ht numerous players in the face because their head is down. Not really his fault either.

Players need to keep their heads up. Players need to be aware of others. One of the dumbest things too is a player turning his back when he sees a player coming at him. Those suspensions are idiotic.

vCash
    Make guys wear helmets on their arses and skates on their hands and play on all 4

What was meant for me will be Mine once again... THE CHAMP OF CHAMPS IS BACK

vCash
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAQs8lq6KJ8

im sorry is that the torres hit your talking about, because that did deserve a suspension, head is first point of contact and he launched into it. its one thing saying headshots are debateable but jumping into hits has never been accepted'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast